E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #61
MrEmitter

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Sure your opinion can be wrong. I'm the example that proves this. I bought my 330Ci new and could have written a check for a new 360 if I wanted too, so the M3 would have been well within my grasp. First I could care less what others think of what I drive. I buy cars because I love them. Had my first BMW when virtually everyone who saw it had no idea what it was. BMW was unknown and people thought me silly for spending the money on it rather than getting a better car. It looked too plain for them. Not enough chrome.
I got the non M here because I wanted a well rounded car. Perfectly balanced between appearance, lux, and performance. Elegance in its ability to do all things equally. An M doesn't fit that bill. Looks too Johnny racer, rides too rough, gets low gas mileage, isn't best at low revs, and parts costs are ridiculously stupid. And why waste money on sky high insurance.
I'm with you man! I like the M3 but not enough to actually have that over my non-M coupe. Maybe most people like the non-m coupe because it looks like the m3 for less but not me. I like it for being a non-m.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #62
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Good discussion.

Though I want to clear some things up.

1) I never said the BMW E46 coupe specifically was poserish. What I said and meant was non-sports car coupes in GENERAL when there's a sedan version available seem poserish. It just a vibe it gives me PERSONALLY. you are entitled to your own opinion. I simply see no reason to have a two door E46 over a four door E46 other than "it looks cool." And it does look cool.

In most cases though when you put form over function, you are "posering" to some degree. That's why I said the M3 has balls (engine, suspension, etc) and the body to back up the coupe form.

2) The question I asked was do COUPES come withOUT (w/o) folding rear seats. Someone mistook that for coupes w/ folding seats being rare. That is not the case as every single coupe i've seen has folding rear seats. My point is that's an automatic handling defecit and automatically supports the torsional rigidity #s floating around on the web. Not having folding rear seats has the same effect as adding a strut brace.

3) I think the comments from people that have owned both should have more credibility. Believe me, I loved my E46 coupe from 2006. (brand new) gorgeous car. But to me, the iconic BMW 3 series is a sedan and always has been.

Edit:

And Grande D's point about the coupe line being broken up by the tail light is a good one. I wonder why it's like that? Almost seems like an afterthought? Bugs me now that it's brought up. =/

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 08-13-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #63
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
To me... the coupe is King.
Period! I wanted what I wanted from the get go...
A 330, and a 2 door.
Loved it then, and I still do over 3 yrs later.
My car is still a work in progress, but its already cool.
Every morning when I drive it to work, or any time I get into my 2 door coupe...
It makes me happy!
The End.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #64
pnirenstein

My Ride: BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swater96 View Post
2,000 mile trip across good old `murica with a few friends 3 days ago. Really like how my car feels as a passenger and as a driver.
I actually love riding shotgun in my car. Everything seems faster from the passenger seat.
pnirenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #65
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swater96 View Post

Am I a poser because I didn't want the maintenance that came with a 5 or 7 and liked the practicality and speed/weight of a 3 sedan. In my opinion the coupes are ugly looking without the aggressive bodywork of the M3. I cringed when the man called that a beautiful car. But hey we all have our opinions
Your expressed opinion is exactly why they make different body styles and trim levels. Try and think back to the first time you ever saw an e46 coupe. I remember, there were lots of sedans before the coupe came out and the first coupe I saw was in my rear view mirrow on I-95 southbound one lunch time.

Maybe some of us don't like the boy racer look that many M3s have. My other car is a properly prepared B6 S4 that eats stock M3s everywhere and runs away from the prepared ones in the twisties, yet other than the grumble at start up and the big tips out the back, it appears to be a normal near luxury sports sedan.

To each his own.

Last edited by ti317; 08-14-2013 at 01:06 PM.
ti317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #66
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnirenstein View Post
Haha is this photoshopped? I put an m3 bumper on my e90 330i, but this is crazy!
Again, no. Just a very dedicated individual with a lot of time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Nope. thread is on M3forum somewhere. Absolute COMPLETE M3 swap including body work.
Here is the full build/swap thread. Very very detailed work!
Google translate will help the the language.

http://www.bimmers.no/forum/viewtopi...8f1673bc583756

And also here.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=578901

Last edited by Patton323I; 08-14-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Patton323I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #67
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Coupe vs Sedan handling

Seems like everyone likes what they have better... Lol

I have a sedan. I like the way coupes look better. Sedans look good from behind and rear 3/4. From the side and all angles from the front they look awkward.

As for handling, my friend has a 330ci and it handles much better than my car. Obviously that's due to the sport suspension and upgraded sport wheels/tires.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #68
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Coupe vs Sedan handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
LOLWUT?

And 4-doors are ugly on small cars like the 3-series. Plus the roof is taller, the trunk is taller, it's just ugly altogether. You can't make a family car out of something that has no real back seat. The poser is the guy that couldn't afford a 5 or a 7 and went with a 3 sedan.
Its not about making my 3 series sedan a family car because I'm not married and have no kids. I bought the sedan with ZSP because of its wonderful looks and the sedan just feels more solid. No sagging doors, squeaks, or rattles like alot of the coupes get. I also have a 7 so its not that I bought my 3 because I couldn't afford a higher end BMW, I bought it for many other reasons which none were money.

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #69
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
It's rare to have a conversation with a coupe owner, wondering if he should have bought the sedan.

If you do see a coupe owner shopping for a sedan be sociable. Ask him when the baby is due.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #70
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
This argument is hilarious. You should all be TV pundits, because you go for the gut and have very little logic backing your intentionally inflammatory remarks.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #71
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
It's rare to have a conversation with a coupe owner, wondering if he should have bought the sedan.

If you do see a coupe owner shopping for a sedan be sociable. Ask him when the baby is due.
Truth. No kids, no need for 2 more doors! And it gets me out of being the driver most of the time.

"So, who's driving?"

Me: "Well, if two of you want to uncomfortably fit in the back of my car, I can take 3."

"Let's just take my car."

Last edited by Zell; 08-14-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #72
mjpgolf1

Coupe vs Sedan handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLG600 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion; however, my critique of your initial post is that it grouped all coupe owners into this preconceived bucket which is inaccurate.

Two cents from a "twenty something" who didn't buy his to pose as an M3.
I understand which is why in my second post I stated that "most" kids not all buy a coupe for the reasons that I stated.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #73
mjpgolf1

Coupe vs Sedan handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnirenstein View Post
My reply came off a lot meaner than I wanted it to. I apologize. But not everyone wants their 330 to be an M3. Sure maybe many on this forum. But think about the million owners that aren't on this forum. Where I live a Malibu stands out a lot more than a 3 series. BMW = Basic Marin Wheels. I've driven a 360 a few times, cool car you got there.
All good my friend as I understand. Thanks for the compliment on my car.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #74
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
I love how sedan owners judge coupe owners, and coupe owners judge sedan owners, and pretend to know why who bought what for whatever reason.... so much speculation its hilarious.

Posering, wishing we had an M3 instead, etc etc etc... haha come on guys, you are looking WAY to into this. I think we all can agree that we all wish we were driving the M3. The fact that it only comes in two doors does not make it a valid argument towards coupe owners only. As far as I'm concerned, when you are in the driver seat, there is no difference whether you are in a coupe or sedan (until you have that B pillar staring you in the face when you turn around to merge lanes)

At the end of the day, everyone has their own silly opinions. The convenience of the sedan and the rigidness is valid arguments, even though no one would be able to feel the difference. Same goes for the coupe being sleeker and looking a little sharper with a cleaner side profile. With that out the way, they are the same car people
Old 08-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #75
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
Its not about making my 3 series sedan a family car because I'm not married and have no kids. I bought the sedan with ZSP because of its wonderful looks and the sedan just feels more solid. No sagging doors, squeaks, or rattles like alot of the coupes get. I also have a 7 so its not that I bought my 3 because I couldn't afford a higher end BMW, I bought it for many other reasons which none were money.

hahaha coupes get sagging doors?? news to me, you must know something I don't. And its safe to say that all e46's (now that most have well over 100k) have a rattle/squeak or two.

i need to go fix my sagging doors now... they sag so much
Old 08-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #76
mjpgolf1

Coupe vs Sedan handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
hahaha coupes get sagging doors?? news to me, you must know something I don't. And its safe to say that all e46's (now that most have well over 100k) have a rattle/squeak or two.

I've personally owned 3 E46s and being a high end car dealer I've bought, sold, and drove over a hundred E46s over the years, not to mention I worked for BMW when the E46 came out. So yes I do know alot that you don't. I've had many coupes that needed the doors adjusted that weren't closing right. Also I have had many more coupes with rattles over the years than sedans. The sedans just seem to stay more solid as they age.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #77
Zell

Quote:

I dunno about the sagging door seal issue, mine are on there real tight. It's hard to get them off

But they do suffer from this (ignore the MS paint crap):

Which sucks because it looks ugly and you have to remove glue, unscrew the exterior door trim, and the rubber only comes as part of a trim piece, so it's $50 per side.

It's an inevitability of any used coupe. When installing a new one I guess it wouldn't hurt to protect it with some sort of UV rubber protectant.

Last edited by Zell; 08-14-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #78
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
I've personally owned 3 E46s and being a high end car dealer I've bought, sold, and drove over a hundred E46s over the years, not to mention I worked for BMW when the E46 came out. So yes I do know alot that you don't. I've had many coupes that needed the doors adjusted that weren't closing right. Also I have had many more coupes with rattles over the years than sedans. The sedans just seem to stay more solid as they age.

well news to me... my coupe with 150k thinks otherwise, but lets give it another few years and another 50k and i'll get back to you on that one... same goes for squeaks and rattles... minor rattles from time to time? sure... but overal i couldn't be happier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I dunno about the sagging door seal issue, mine are on there real tight. It's hard to get them off

But they do suffer from this (ignore the MS paint crap):

Which sucks because it looks ugly and you have to remove glue, unscrew the exterior door trim, and the rubber only comes as part of a trim piece, so it's $50 per side.

It's an inevitability of any used coupe. When installing a new one I guess it wouldn't hurt to protect it with some sort of UV rubber protectant.
question... is there a different in the rubber that is used in coupes? because logically i can't understand why that would be more prevalent in coupes than it would be in sedans if it is the same material, just a foot longer because of the door. once again, something my car isn't even showing a sign of, and it is nearing its 10 year build date

Edit... ah, rear coupe window popping in and out is what causes that... well, still... no issues for me yet so i guess i'm lucky

Last edited by JJR4884; 08-14-2013 at 08:48 AM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #79
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
I've always been of the opinion that if a car has 4 seats, it should have 4 doors.
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #80
Zell

Quote:

question... is there a different in the rubber that is used in coupes? because logically i can't understand why that would be more prevalent in coupes than it would be in sedans if it is the same material, just a foot longer because of the door. once again, something my car isn't even showing a sign of, and it is nearing its 10 year build date

Edit... ah, rear coupe window popping in and out is what causes that... well, still... no issues for me yet so i guess i'm lucky
It tends to happen in hot climates. My car lived in NYC for its life so it never developed that problem until it moved down to NC. After a few summers the 9-year old rubber started cracking