E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #81
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
People still don't know how to read. They keep assuming my "poserish" comment has to do specifically with the E46. It does not. I am talking about non-sports car coupe designs in general when there's a four-door version available. (read every word carefully and slowly) whether it's a Ford, Toyota, BMW, Audi, Cadillac, etc., it doesn't matter. It's just a vibe I get when I see those cars. They just have a cute, non-serious vibe to them. You see a sedan and you know it's more business. Because business men tend to drive cars with four doors.

It's just an association thing. The M3 is a serious performance car so a two door version can be justified especially when the body is modified to be aggressive (wide fenders, aggressive body work/hood, etc.) so it can be up there with sports car coupes like Corvette, NSX, Porsche 911, Viper, etc--cars that can justify having two doors. Seeing an E46 two door with a narrow body just makes me think of the M3 and how it's not an M3 (due to having the same form factor)

Like I said I love the coupes, but they just give me a different feeling than the sedan as far as looks. When I was looking for an E46, I was looking at both. But I wanted a sedan more because it just has that classic iconic german BMW sports sedan chiseled hardcore look (especially with the MTECH stuff). That and i've never had one.

Again, let me say I've owned both coupe and sedan.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #82
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Worse rake. I can't see out of the coupes windshield as it stops too low in relation to the body lines. I went sedan->coupe->sedan. My new sedan doesn't have folding seats; it is the best handling of the three I've owned.

Techincally, the coupe is the weakest (barely) in torsional rigidity but I never noticed the difference between it and my folding seat sedan.

The sedans lines match a bit better overall. The rear body line leads into the tail light, in the coupe it does not. At the same time, the facelift coupes headlights and tail lights are killer. Overall they are different, to me it is a draw. I'd say the average facelift coupe looks better than the average facelift sedan though.

The sedan is more practical. Space may not be different in the rear, but I missed my rear doors with the coupe. Not enough for me to sell it though.

Visibility to the side is slightly better in the coupe, but the windshield height in the sedan makes up for it.

The coupe has more squeaks (door pulls, rear deck) than the sedan by a small margin.
+1. The D has spoken. (Talkin' about Grande D...)

D, you'll be pleased to know my sedan has absolutely no squeaks or rattles. It's one hell of a solid block of metal. Everyone is saying 10 yr old cars squeaks rattles normal etc.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #83
THECLEANERBEAMER

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
+1. The D has spoken. (Talkin' about Grande D...)

D, you'll be pleased to know my sedan has absolutely no squeaks or rattles. It's one hell of a solid block of metal. Everyone is saying 10 yr old cars squeaks rattles normal etc.
Same here my cars has zero squeaks or rattles for a 11-12 year old car! Also I don't have fold down seats
Old 08-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #84
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLEANERBEAMER View Post
Same here my cars has zero squeaks or rattles for a 11-12 year old car! Also I don't have fold down seats
So you followed both of my guides on removing the seats and arm rests to de-rattle them?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #85
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Where do station wagons fit in?
hahahaha
I own a coupe, but to be honest... I love a properly "hooked up" wagon.
I've seen some that were to drool over.
However, I've never been a fan of the 4 door.
To me, it just seems too common; reminds me of the older Galant I used to own, or maybe a Maxima.
There were some exceptions too... like the M3 4 door conversions.
BMW made all these various door, body styles, engine, and other option configurations for a reason.
You buy what you appeals to you, or in some cases what you can afford.
To pass judgement over what someone else drives, or why is just selfish opinion.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #86
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
The 2-door rear deck rattle is obnoxious as all getout. I have no clue how the HK sub passed testing when it so obviously made such a terrible noise. The tennis ball mod fixes it somewhat, but the best fix is apparently the thickest dynamat possible.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #87
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Quote:
I have one squeak in my car... Driver door hinge - have addressed it twice now - once with WD40, once with white lithium grease...

Keeps returning and is quite annoying.

Any ideas on what the proper maintenance is for door hinges?
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #88
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherbs View Post
I have one squeak in my car... Driver door hinge - have addressed it twice now - once with WD40, once with white lithium grease...

Keeps returning and is quite annoying.

Any ideas on what the proper maintenance is for door hinges?
door stop or door hinge? there's many components there.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #89
THECLEANERBEAMER

Quote:
So you followed both of my guides on removing the seats and arm rests to de-rattle them?
No? Like I said they don't rattle, the only time my armrest makes a sound is if I were to lean my whole body weight on it, which is expected
Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #90
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
No? Like I said they don't rattle, the only time my armrest makes a sound is if I were to lean my whole body weight on it, which is expected
No no. that's my point. my car squeaks under NO circumstances. That's the whole point of my armrest fix guide. An armrest is to rest your arm on it. It shouldn't squeak when being used as designed. Further, your seats squeak unless you've followed my guides. Every E46 seat box squeaks

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #91
THECLEANERBEAMER

Quote:
door stop or door hinge? there's many components there.
I think he's meaning the actual door hinge, when opening the door his probably creaks
Old 08-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #92
THECLEANERBEAMER

Quote:
No no. that's my point. my car squeaks under NO circumstances. That's the whole point of my armrest fix guide. An armrest is to rest your arm on it. It shouldn't squeak when being used as designed. Further, your seats squeak unless you've followed my guides. Every E46 seat box squeaks
Really? I put my arm on it regularly theirs no sound, it only does it if I'm basically all over it. Mmmhm I might have to check that thread then
Old 08-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #93
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
I think he's meaning the actual door hinge, when opening the door his probably creaks
there's two hinges, and a third part called a door stop that acts as a hinge. all three can squeak. let him specify what part please.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #94
GSherbs

I wrote hinge. Twice in fact. I really did mean "hinge".

I suppose you can think of the door brake as a hinge, but I don't.

Anyways, in this case, it is specifically the upper hinge of the driver's door.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #95
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherbs View Post
I wrote hinge. Twice in fact. I really did mean "hinge".

I suppose you can think of the door brake as a hinge, but I don't.

Anyways, in this case, it is specifically the upper hinge of the driver's door.
How are you sure it's that part? Cause it's the door stop that usually squeaks on the E46 chassis.

You need a solid penetrating lube. try triflow. if not, i'll post up another suggestion later.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #96
pnirenstein

My Ride: BMW M5
This conversation is priceless. It's an all out war with some good info intertwined. I guess thats the internet ahaha.

Haven't driven 500 e46's then shut the hell up! Oh you haven't gone 267mph in a Veyron, well that's why you think your 330ci is a sports car.

You guys have way more fun then some other forums out there ahah.
pnirenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #97
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Reads like sedan owners defending their sedan.

Something coupe owners never feel the need to do.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #98
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnirenstein View Post
This conversation is priceless. It's an all out war with some good info intertwined. I guess thats the internet ahaha.

Haven't driven 500 e46's then shut the hell up! Oh you haven't gone 267mph in a Veyron, well that's why you think your 330ci is a sports car.

You guys have way more fun then some other forums out there ahah.
Oh this thread is extremely tame compared to our usual. You'll learn.

I've been 200 mph in a supercharged m3 before... (as a passenger)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #99
GSherbs

Quote:
How are you sure it's that part? Cause it's the door stop that usually squeaks on the E46 chassis.

You need a solid penetrating lube. try triflow. if not, i'll post up another suggestion later.
Good ears?

As I wrote, I've addressed this twice now - both times alleviating the problem but it seems to return more quickly than I'd expect.

First attempt was with WD40, second was with white lithium grease. Both worked - WD40 gave me almost 2 months of quiet operation. The lithium grease 4 to 5 months. The WD40 was kind of a half baked idea - I didn't expect it to last long but the can was in my hand. I did expect the grease to last much longer though.

I'll give triflow a shot - hadn't thought of that. Pretty sure I still have some of that around - I used to use it on my kart.

Appreciate the suggestion - most of the recommendations I've seen are for white lithium grease. What I've seen online though I haven't been able to trace back to any authoritative sources.

The ideal solution seems like it would be a thin penetrating oil with grease-like staying power. I'm not aware of any such product though...

Don't really want to pull the door off - looks kind of heavy.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #100
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Wheelbase is the same. Think about that for a second, TRJ. If the wheelbase was different, that would mean the coupe and sedan would have different driveshafts, exhausts, heatshields, brake lines, and whatever else.

The sedan should have a more rigid feel due to being more of a "boxed" structure. Even more so w/o fold down seats.
Its entirely possible to have the same driveshafts, exhausts heatshields, brake lines and whatever else for coupes and sedans if the engine is shifted a little towards the rear or front for increment and decrement in the wheelbase. Its not a handmade car, its a factory manufactured body, so if they were to change a little on the placement of the engine, they could do it easily. Talking about two wheel drives, xi's are whole different story though.

However, as you pointed, the wheelbase is same on both coupe and sedan. So, it doesnt make any sense to discuss about it.

Whenever this coupe vs sedan discussion comes up, it ends up being a pointless discussion.
I bought a coupe because I like it, someone bought a sedan because he/she likes it.

No one is going to push these old cars to its max not to test which one is better.
Mango, I didnt expect you to say coupes in general (not just e46) are poserish.
All depends on a buyer's choice and requirement. For me 4 doors are not a requirement. If I have more people to haul, definitely 4 door is what I will buy. If I had more than 2 people and a large dog, then wagon will be my choice. Doesnt make any sense of this argument.

If someone wants, they can be a poser in a honda oddessey, forget about the coupes.

For the people who need less people room and more storage room coupe makes sense. More room to put stuff in with the rear seat folded down.
I put bikes in my car with the seats folded down. I dont think people without the rear folding seats can do that, can they?
I miss my old eclipse now just for the functionality of the usage of the trunk space. I could put 36 inch tube TV in there. I wish e46s in the US came as hatchbacks with the bigger engine. Two doors and big cargo space. Please dont advice me to buy a pick up now.

Last edited by trj; 08-14-2013 at 01:23 PM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote