E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #61
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Michelle Obama to release rap album

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
I don't dispute the fact there are dead beat parents in this country, nor am I defending them. I too believe in personal accountability.

But it's through education and therefore "raising awareness" that people learn how to change behavior. Does it always work? No because as you said, there are irresponsible people and as you put it, dead beats. But if you can raise awareness and affect some to change, what's the harm?
I'd rather them raise awareness of the violence in Chicago. How about addressing the alarming teen birthrate? how about addressing the out of wedlock birthrate? How about addressing the terrible graduation rates in the inner cities? I don't care what she does, but claiming this has influence over the target audience (teens) is laughable.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 08-14-2013 at 05:27 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #62
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I'd rather them raise awareness of the violence in Chicago. How about addressing the alarming teen birthrate? how about addressing the out of wedlock birthrate? How about addressing the terrible graduation rates in the inner cities? I don't care what she does, but claiming this has influence over the target audience (teens) is laughable.

there's no arguing that, but I guess health and obesity is what she's passionate about and feels she can contribute.

Can't satisfy everyone

Last edited by MDydinanM; 08-14-2013 at 05:45 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #63
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Hate to say it, but that sht worked for me. I was SO anti drug when I was younger, I'd actually yell at guys in my band for smoking pot. Effective propaganda, I'd say.

As for this, whatever. You have to try to reach the kids somehow. Attempting to relate in some way could be effective.

Also, I think trends and society in general are heading towards healthier living. These days EVERYONE is a gym rat, I liked it a lot better when it was just me.
I'm glad it worked for you. I hope that this program will wind up working for someone as well. Like you said--it's not going to resonate with everyone, but I appreciate the fact that this appears to be a sincere, genuine effort on Michelle Obama's part to do something about the problem.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #64
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I'm glad it worked for you. I hope that this program will wind up working for someone as well. Like you said--it's not going to resonate with everyone, but I appreciate the fact that this appears to be a sincere, genuine effort on Michelle Obama's part to do something about the problem.
Now if only the government could roll out courses in parenting 101...
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #65
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
should they do it in a streamline process, with "products" and "services" ?

Last edited by MDydinanM; 08-14-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #66
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
They definitely exist. Normally they are mandated for parents who are facing the loss of their kids to foster homes.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #67
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:

The teen birth rate is at a historical low point, if I'm recalling my stats right.

Also, what proof to you have to back up your last claim that I bolded? Why won't this work when other educational campaigns have worked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDC
The report shows that obesity levels among low-income children aged between 2 and 4 years decreased in 19 of 43 states and territories studied in the US. Obesity rates stayed at the same level in 21 states between 2008 and 2011.
While it would be off base to attribute all, or even a good chunk, of this decline to the Let's Move Campaign, is it so far off in your mind that an educational campaign could possibly....educate? *gasp*

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #68
bimmerfan08

Quote:
should it do it in a streamline process, with "products" and "services" ?
Sure. Government could make more moolah by charging a la carte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
They definitely exist. Normally they are mandated for parents who are facing the loss of their kids to foster homes.
Learn something new every day.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
Old 08-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #69
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:

Learn something new every day.
Be grateful you didn't know until now!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #70
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
The teen birth rate is at a historical low point, if I'm recalling my stats right.

Also, what proof to you have to back up your last claim that I bolded? Why won't this work when other educational campaigns have worked?

While it would be off base to attribute all, or even a good chunk, of this decline to the Let's Move Campaign, is it so far off in your mind that an educational campaign could possibly....educate? *gasp*
Your stats are right. The OVERALL teen birthrate is down. The teen birthrate in certain precincts is still very high, as well as out of wedlock births.

As for your other point, I do not believe the government, a celebrity, or any other public figure has the ability to change minds and attitudes of young people. That can only be done in school, at home, and friends. All of that starts at home. Parents need to play an integral part in their kid's life, watch who their friends are, monitor their activities, monitor their TV watching, etc. If ALL of that isn't done, no rap album is going to do a damn thing, and if it IS all done, then the album is moot. This is nothing more than my personal opinion and belief.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #71
MDydinanM

Quote:

As for your other point, I do not believe the government, a celebrity, or any other public figure has the ability to change minds and attitudes of young people. That can only be done in school, at home, and friends. All of that starts at home. Parents need to play an integral part in their kid's life, watch who their friends are, monitor their activities, monitor their TV watching, etc. If ALL of that isn't done, no rap album is going to do a damn thing, and if it IS all done, then the album is moot. This is nothing more than my personal opinion and belief.
I believe in parenting and all - and all the things you touched on, but you really believe government figures, celebrities, etc don't play a role in influencing the youth? Role models even?

You mean to tell me youth, kids, don't aspire to be like people they admire?

My parents raised me right, but I was also influenced by mentors, role models, etc.

Sorry, I respectfully disagree with you there.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 08-14-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #72
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I believe in parenting and all, but you really believe government figures, celebrities, etc don't play a role in influencing the youth? Role models even?

My parents raised me right, but I was also influenced by mentors, role models, etc.

Positive influence adds to parental influence, which is why kids aspire to be Michael Jordan, DiCaprio, whatever. When I was growing up, I looked up to certain people not because of their message (politics and crap) but what they did. Negative influence is due to LACK of parental guidance. A kid with parents that have strong discipline, monitor their kids, punish them, etc, is less likely to be influenced by negative forces, since if the parents are doing their job, they can squash it. If parents are MIA, then the negative influence will take over.

As far as kids and teens go, being tubby is already social punishment. Kids get teased, ridiculed, bullied, etc because of it. Some will do whatever it takes to lose the pounds, some remain the same. If that didn't change their attitude, no album is.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #73
MDydinanM

Quote:
Positive influence adds to parental influence, which is why kids aspire to be Michael Jordan, DiCaprio, whatever. When I was growing up, I looked up to certain people not because of their message (politics and crap) but what they did. Negative influence is due to LACK of parental guidance. A kid with parents that have strong discipline, monitor their kids, punish them, etc, is less likely to be influenced by negative forces, since if the parents are doing their job, they can squash it. If parents are MIA, then the negative influence will take over.

As far as kids and teens go, being tubby is already social punishment. Kids get teased, ridiculed, bullied, etc because of it. Some will do whatever it takes to lose the pounds, some remain the same. If that didn't change their attitude, no album is.
fair enough
Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #74
bimmerfan08

Quote:
I believe in parenting and all - and all the things you touched on, but you really believe government figures, celebrities, etc don't play a role in influencing the youth? Role models even?

I always thought people like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Francis Crick, James Watson, Marcus Aurelius, Henry Ford, Eisenhower, Einstein, you know the greats, were brillant individuals that everyone should lend recognition to. Their contributions to mankind and society inspired me. Celebrities and actors to me, and still are, meaningless.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #75
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I always thought people like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Francis Crick, James Watson, Marcus Aurelius, Henry Ford, Eisenhower, Einstein, you know the greats, were brillant individuals that everyone should lend recognition to. Their contributions to mankind and society inspired me. Celebrities and actors to me, and still are, meaningless.
While they are meaningless to you and me, many still look up to them (some for the right, some for the wrong reasons.) No one looked up to Michael Jordan as a husband. Kids "generally" don't know the beliefs of figures, usually they are only aware of their career stuff (ie MJ was a basketball god). While I would love for my daughter to have similar personal heros as me (Ranulph Fiennes for instance), I don't see anything wrong with her looking up to some singer or some actress, so long as she looks up to their work, not their thoughts. If a certain celeb or figure has thoughts you as a parent agree with, and agree that it is a positive message, you can bring it up to them ie DiCaprio and his green environmental stuff. You can also bring up the negatives ie Amy Winehouse or Wesley Snipes, and use them as examples as well.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #76
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
I wish Obama could get elected a 3rd time so Chase would kill himself out of frustration.
Iceman00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #77
bagher

My Ride: Marshmallow logic
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
I wish Obama could get elected a 3rd time so Chase would kill himself out of frustration.
wait until 2016 when Hillary gets elected. super rustles commence
Old 08-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #78
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
wait until 2016 when Hillary gets elected. super rustles commence
That's not true, according to you guys he'll be happy there is a white person in office. There will be harmony once again, because all opposition to Obama is due to the color of his skin...remember???????

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #79
MDydinanM

Michelle Obama to release rap album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
That's not true, according to you guys he'll be happy there is a white person in office. There will be harmony once again, because all opposition to Obama is due to the color of his skin...remember???????
OT will find a way to make him a misogynist too. Or he'll do that to himself.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 08-16-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #80
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
OT will find a way to make him a misogynist too.
I actually can't wait for the "you hate women" attacks, it will be hilarious...especially coming from the people that called Sarah Palin every misogynistic name in the book.

"That's different, she deserved it"

Stock response, book it.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote