E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
ONE LOVE

My Ride: ZCP E46M3
Stoptech ST40??

I currently have an 06 ZCP M3. I was at Auto Club Speedway over the weekend and toasted the ZCP rotors.... Now Im driving around with warped rotors and feels like crap! Here is my question. Do I get new pads and rotors/ SS lines and fluid...... Or do I just get the Stoptech ST40 front kit and call it a day? Any opinions or experience on track with both set ups? I drive very hard, not just fun track days. I actually go for time! That considered will the ST40 benefit me? Thank you
ONE LOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
You likely have pad deposits on the rotors from your pads. some have taken emery cloth and removed said deposits. give it a shot. (not sure exactly how hard you ran but i doubt your rotors actually warped)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
ONE LOVE

No opinions????
Old 08-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Andrew@ORT
Account Under Review

My Ride: m3 / V8 + 66mm snail
The ST40 is a nice kit for sure, but for a 4 piston kit you could easily pick up a TAROX 6 piston kit for close to the same price.

I guess the real logical question is, do you really need a big brake kit? How often does your car see the track? In most cases, a high quality set of pads and discs will suffice.
Andrew@ORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
ONE LOVE

I track every weekend! I have not used upgraded pads / rotors/lones/fluid yet. I figured I would skip a step and get the ST40.... But I hear a good set up will suffice. Hmmmm
Old 08-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
evanescent03

My Ride: e46 M3, carbon black
any updates? i had a similar issue my last trip to the track. i would get some good vibrations when braking from about 80+mph but can't really notice any difference at lower speeds. there's a visible change to the rotor surface. i haven't been in the game long enough to recognize if it's pad deposit or damaged rotor surface. i have read that some people will use a fine grit (300ish?) sandpaper to remove those deposits. afterwards, supposedly you just re-bed the pads and are good to go. worth a shot? i kind of want new rotors so i am hesitant to try just in case it works, then i don't get to buy new goodies, haha.

so what are you gonna do? since you track every weekend you've probably been out there again since you first posted... good luck!

matt
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Hardmotorsport
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Cooling!!!!!!
Hardmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Andrew@ORT
Account Under Review

My Ride: m3 / V8 + 66mm snail
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE LOVE View Post
I track every weekend! I have not used upgraded pads / rotors/lones/fluid yet. I figured I would skip a step and get the ST40.... But I hear a good set up will suffice. Hmmmm
A well thought out and executed pad/disc setup will suffice. Just be mindful of the components you select, not all are created equal!
Andrew@ORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
ONE LOVE

Ok. What rotor do you guys recommend for a ZCP application? Stock replacement? Also what pad is a good 80% track 20% street? Thanks