E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #21
mcurcio1989

My Ride: 2002 325xi
^Hey I here you on that but all I am saying is this is a DD and is clearly not a sports car. Michelin makes the best tires on the road. This car came stock with them and if you think so highly of BMW you should also respect their tire choice. Every tire shop I have ever been to highly recommends these tires. When I first had a flat and went to the dealer I asked what the best all around tire for this car would be and every tech in their did not hesitate to agree that this was my best choice at the time (2.5 years ago). I am a big fan of running the best tires you can and for me these are them. They fit they driving I do and I have never accidentally cut loose (I try sometimes in a safe situation). Safety, ride comfort, and reliability are my main factors and these have that for me. There not sports tires but its not a sports car. I am not trying to argue here but I would like it to go down in the record, for future readers, that these tires are a great fit for a 325xi.

I got my two used tires mounted and balanced and am very pleased with the drive once again it took car off some vibration issues that were annoying the **** out of me.

Last edited by mcurcio1989; 08-20-2013 at 09:52 PM.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #22
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals

Whoever at the dealership told you these tires are the best for your car was either trying to sell you stuff or needs to get fired.

Tire Rack Data:
Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 - 3/5 star rating, 6.5/10 consumer reviews, 4.3/10 would buy again, 4.6/10 in the snow, $142.00 per tire.

Here's a quick comparison of other tires in the same class (all seasons that is):
Continental Pure Contact EcoPlus - 4.5/5 star rating, 9/10 consumer reviews, 8.7/10 would buy again, 8.5/10 in the snow, $108 per tire.

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus - 4.5/5 star rating, 8.6/10 consumer reviews, 8.0/10 would buy again, 7.6/10 in the snow, $108 per tire.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS (I personally have these) - 4/5 star rating, 8.3/10 consumer reviews, 7.8/10 would buy again, 7.7/10 in the snow, $117 per tire.

Michelin Pilot Exalto - 4/5 star rating, 8.3/10 consumer reviews, 8.1/10 would buy again, 7.3/10 in the snow, $119 per tire.

Goodyear Eagle F1 - 4/5 star rating, 8.3/10 consumer reviews, 9.0/10 would buy again, 6.7/10 in the snow, $108 per tire.

So...tell me again why you want the Energy tires when there are so many other better, cheaper, higher performing, and easier to come by tires in the market today?

Again, I'm not telling you to get racing slicks, just get the best tires on the market today for your purposes and even for your "grocery getter" the Energy tires are not the best at really anything.

FWIW, I don't think all that highly of BMW and I've said it publicly on many occasions. I wouldn't hesitate to offload my 330xi as soon as I find a good deal on something else that's better, faster, and more reliable.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 08-21-2013 at 09:37 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #23
Hogan773

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I get the grocery getting thing and I'm not telling people to buy sticky track tires, slicks, or drag tires. Getting good tires is one of the best performance and SAFETY things you can do for your car and for yourself. Get something good now and don't regret it later.

Remember, anything and everything you do to your car is in an effort to make your tires spin faster, stop harder, stick better, and turn faster. You can mount a 1000hp engine, 20in 12 piston brakes, and super stiff suspension but none of that will do sh!t unless you have the tires to make it all useful.
I have the MX4Vs on mine and I haven't had any problems. I don't think they are "horsesh^t" or whatever was posted above. But in general I agree your view that the tires are "where the rubber meets the road" so to speak......
Hogan773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #24
Todd330i

My Ride: '05 330i / '02 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I get the grocery getting thing and I'm not telling people to buy sticky track tires, slicks, or drag tires. Getting good tires is one of the best performance and SAFETY things you can do for your car and for yourself. Get something good now and don't regret it later.

Remember, anything and everything you do to your car is in an effort to make your tires spin faster, stop harder, stick better, and turn faster. You can mount a 1000hp engine, 20in 12 piston brakes, and super stiff suspension but none of that will do sh!t unless you have the tires to make it all useful.
So True........Just replaced some Dunlop Sport Signatures (IMHO, awful tires) with a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS's. Car is a DD, basically OEM '05 330i . DWS's are very good in the rain (hoping good in light snow ) and give pretty decent feed back thru the dry, hi speed, twisty stuff around Western PA,MD, and WV. Being an ex superbike and competition kart racer, it's all about the rubber.
Todd330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #25
Twichel04

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd330i View Post
So True........Just replaced some Dunlop Sport Signatures (IMHO, awful tires)
They really are... That's what I have on mine. They are noisy and they SUUUUUUUUUUCK in the wet.

OrientBlau 323i - M3 bumper - Eibach Pro Kit - Style 63 X5 wheels - 19x9 & 19x10
Twichel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #26
Hogan773

Quote:
So True........Just replaced some Dunlop Sport Signatures (IMHO, awful tires) with a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS's. Car is a DD, basically OEM '05 330i . DWS's are very good in the rain (hoping good in light snow ) and give pretty decent feed back thru the dry, hi speed, twisty stuff around Western PA,MD, and WV. Being an ex superbike and competition kart racer, it's all about the rubber.
Make sure you use a Genuine BMW Grocery Retaining Strap (PN 341 667 77828) to ensure the jug of milk and bag of groceries is properly tied down when you're hitting the twisty stuff. Also make sure to center the load in the trunk to ensure proper weight distribution and avoid extra stress on the rear diff.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #27
Todd330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
Make sure you use a Genuine BMW Grocery Retaining Strap (PN 341 667 77828) to ensure the jug of milk and bag of groceries is properly tied down when you're hitting the twisty stuff. Also make sure to center the load in the trunk to ensure proper weight distribution and avoid extra stress on the rear diff.
Who took the jelly out of your doughnut? I didn't mention anything about groceries in my post. Anytime you'd like to take a trip thru the twisties next to me, you better wear some depends. FHO
Old 08-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #28
Hogan773

Quote:
Who took the jelly out of your doughnut? I didn't mention anything about groceries in my post. Anytime you'd like to take a trip thru the twisties next to me, you better wear some depends. FHO
Nahh it wasn't directed to you specifically.....was just feeling frisky based on some of the earlier notions that our Ultimate Driving Machine E46s need only the finest Pirelli P-Negative-10 tires in order to "perform properly"

I was just joking in general about how serious some people are on this forum about any and all things BMW, and I imagined that someone might suggest if some poor sap is gonna use their Ultimate Driving Machine as a mere grocery getter, that they must at least use the approved accessories made in Germany for said grocery getting........just being silly

Peace
Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #29
Todd330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
Nahh it wasn't directed to you specifically.....was just feeling frisky based on some of the earlier notions that our Ultimate Driving Machine E46s need only the finest Pirelli P-Negative-10 tires in order to "perform properly"

I was just joking in general about how serious some people are on this forum about any and all things BMW, and I imagined that someone might suggest if some poor sap is gonna use their Ultimate Driving Machine as a mere grocery getter, that they must at least use the approved accessories made in Germany for said grocery getting........just being silly

Peace
Gotcha........sarcasm hard to detect on the 'net sometimes. It's all good.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #30
rawbspear

My Ride: 04' E46 XIT 5 speed
tire choice

i put pirelli P4's on my girl. quiet and aggressive handling. Great in the snow!

love railing my 325 xit over the mountain. feels like a sports car to me.
rawbspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
biglittledog

My Ride: 2002 325xiT
Send a message via Skype™ to biglittledog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twichel04 View Post
Part of the problem is that different tires are made differently. For example, I have 205/50/17's all around, however, the Goodyear's in the back are actually half an inch taller in overall diameter than the Dunlop's on the front. It's not really about the tread pattern, it's about the different tires possibly having a slightly different rolling circumference plus the difference in the tread depths could possibly (MAYBE) cause an issue with your transfer case.
big plus one!
1967 Jaguar 420G
2003 Moto Guzzi 1100
1989 Honda XR600r
1968 BSA Shooting Star
biglittledog is offline   Reply With Quote