E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #41
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
The GT-R is a better car, better than anything GM makes, better than Anything BMW makes or Ford or any other **** brand you want to name. Porsche (or above) is the only alternative to a car as awesome as a GT-R.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #42
orb

My Ride: Coupè
boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #43
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
The GT-R is a better car, better than anything GM makes, better than Anything BMW makes or Ford or any other **** brand you want to name. Porsche (or above) is the only alternative to a car as awesome as a GT-R.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #44
phubar

My Ride: 335is, HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328ci906 View Post
the gt-r is still a nissan at the end of the day.
^ this
phubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #45
MCD007
Im The Man

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via AIM to MCD007
Quote:
Speaking of Ford, I would take a Ford GT over the porsche and GTR.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #46
DaN_the_MaN

My Ride: 2011 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Well, I don't know about driver's aid since I turn it off. I probably correct as much or even more then when I drove a GT3 around the track. Lighter car, less HP I believe is easier to drive.

I agree with Iceman in performance, but it is by no means a better car in other categories. I would trade-in my GT-R for a Turbo PDK if I wanted to daily drive the car. You never see Turbo's at the track and if they are there, they perform poorly. I would also consider the ZR1 for the magnetic suspension, but with $5k-10k you can rape a ZR1 all day in the GT-R. I believe the average Corvette driver is 60+ years old.
DaN_the_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #47
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
997 just seems like the gentleman's car. The GTR is badass but screams boy racer.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #48
Redline

Thing I hate about the GT-R is most people I've met that own them are douche bags, they make lambo owners seem normal.

Second all these fanboys say stupid stuff like "the GT-R is better than a McClaren F1" "the GT-R will beat a Bugatti" "I jacked off to a picture of the GT-R" "the GT-R is god"

I can deal with DBag owners, but when you get these people thinking the GT-R is gods gift to motoring it makes you want to break their neck. There's more to a car than just all out speed, the GT-R is a tool, does nothing more than turn out track times. They took away the "fun" and made it all about speed, there's no character to the car. But like I've said that's just my opinion.

I'd much rather drive an R33 or R34.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 08-16-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #49
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
You can pick up a 997.1 GT3 for around $75k.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #50
djmangee816

My Ride: ///m
gtr's are ghey. Will get played out real quik. 911's are **** unless they are gt2, gt3. Save yo money and get yourself a clk63 BS. Its in your price range with 70k.

djmangee816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #51
Adamo99

My Ride: e39 530i, e93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmangee816 View Post
911's are **** unless they are gt2, gt3.

Another vote for the 997 C2S Cab. If you get one with PCCB, make sure you get them checked VERY thoroughly. Replacement rotors/pads at all four corners is a $20K job.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #52
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
2009 GTR or 997.2 C2S cabrio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
Pretty tough call

997 would be my choice.

That being said both are highly irresponsible purchases unless you make 80k plus a year,no kids, own home(not owe 80% on it either), could afford to put 50% down on the car and you accomplished all this young.
Absolutely, check on all counts. Don't have the 50% yet hence the wait. Could possibly wait a little longer to enjoy the revitalized and refreshed e46m, although there is no comparison in driving experience. I've got a few years before kids roll in (hopefully lol) so I wanted to enjoy one more toy.

Will update this thread on my opinions of the newer cars being pointed out. Never thought of the clk63 bs. Now THAT is an interesting idea.

The GTR allegedly has mind bending acceleration, during and out of corners, so I want to experience the G's. I will probably start tracking more but there's something abt that look and presence of a GTR that is so badass to me. Black on black is just

Agreed c2s is all gentlemen's car. I've driven several 996 and 997.1 c2s verts but I want to try the 385 horses in the 997.2.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Edit:
I should add to wesson's advice that imo, one should make at least 5 times the car loan amount in gross salary to live comfortably, with real estate and retirement investments taking the majority of the pie, and with room to live comfortably and travel. Car is way down in the order.

Last edited by fayraree; 08-17-2013 at 06:48 AM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #53
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
It really depends on what you want to do with it.

If you want to impress 17 year old boys, get the gtr. If you want to impress used car salesmen get the 997.

If you want to go fast on a track, get a C6 z06.

Or a 1998 Boxster.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #54
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
I was talking about other people thinking that their suggestion matters. The OP made it very simple... 911 or GT-R.

When you have responses like "get a vette, gt2, 2 m3's, boxster, save money, GT500 (are you kidding me?)" it just goes to show you how infatuated people are in their own opinion than they are answering the most simple of questions

A or B

not C, D, E plus C but minus D, etc...

obviously i'm just ball busting, but some people's posts go to show you how much they are in love with themselves
Well I was trying to think of some witty and antagonistic response, but I really can't argue with that.

Quote:
Thing I hate about the GT-R is most people I've met that own them are douche bags, they make lambo owners seem normal.

Second all these fanboys say stupid stuff like "the GT-R is better than a McClaren F1" "the GT-R will beat a Bugatti" "I jacked off to a picture of the GT-R" "the GT-R is god"

I can deal with DBag owners, but when you get these people thinking the GT-R is gods gift to motoring it makes you want to break their neck. There's more to a car than just all out speed, the GT-R is a tool, does nothing more than turn out track times. They took away the "fun" and made it all about speed, there's no character to the car. But like I've said that's just my opinion.
This is how I feel about GT-R owners that I meet. Then again, if I had the money for either I'd drive both just to be sure. I doubt I'd like the GT-R though.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #55
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
If you want to impress 17 year old boys, get the gtr. If you want to impress my girlfriend get the 997.
Fixed

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #56
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
I don't have a girlfriend. She left me for a pudgy 27 year old car salesman because he has a 997.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #57
MrWesson

My Ride: 01 330CI/09 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
Absolutely, check on all counts. Don't have the 50% yet hence the wait. Could possibly wait a little longer to enjoy the revitalized and refreshed e46m, although there is no comparison in driving experience. I've got a few years before kids roll in (hopefully lol) so I wanted to enjoy one more toy.

Will update this thread on my opinions of the newer cars being pointed out. Never thought of the clk63 bs. Now THAT is an interesting idea.

The GTR allegedly has mind bending acceleration, during and out of corners, so I want to experience the G's. I will probably start tracking more but there's something abt that look and presence of a GTR that is so badass to me. Black on black is just

Agreed c2s is all gentlemen's car. I've driven several 996 and 997.1 c2s verts but I want to try the 385 horses in the 997.2.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Edit:
I should add to wesson's advice that imo, one should make at least 5 times the car loan amount in gross salary to live comfortably, with real estate and retirement investments taking the majority of the pie, and with room to live comfortably and travel. Car is way down in the order.
Real moment.. Kudos to you.

Now the real problem.. TOO many cars in that price range to choose from.

I'm a sucker for a 4 door black AMG benz with tons of power and luxury. S63 would do the trick.

Fact is a car I could only truly appreciate on the track wouldn't make me very happy day to day. GTR screams boy racer, 997 is classy but still probably uncomfortable day to day and not very practical.

If it were my money I'd keep things separate by building a purpose built race car(nothing crazy),a tow rig to get me around(a smaller RV would be cool).
Then keep your M3 to drive around(or even better make that the race car).
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #58
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
Real moment.. Kudos to you.

Now the real problem.. TOO many cars in that price range to choose from.

I'm a sucker for a 4 door black AMG benz with tons of power and luxury. S63 would do the trick.

Fact is a car I could only truly appreciate on the track wouldn't make me very happy day to day. GTR screams boy racer, 997 is classy but still probably uncomfortable day to day and not very practical.

If it were my money I'd keep things separate by building a purpose built race car(nothing crazy),a tow rig to get me around(a smaller RV would be cool).
Then keep your M3 to drive around(or even better make that the race car).
I've never seen someone in my neighborhood go from a 2009 328i to a black S63 AMG, and I lived in Silicon Valley and Orange County...

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #59
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Covettes are piles if **** compared to GTR.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:10 AM   #60
Redline

Quote:
Covettes are piles if **** compared to GTR.
Nissan contracted fisher price for interior design on the gtr, materials are absolute sh!t for that car.

Cheap interiors materials is one thing on an Altima. But not on a supercar trying to compete with the best...

///M

Last edited by Redline; 08-18-2013 at 04:11 AM.