E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 05:28 AM   #61
MFactory
Sponsor

My Ride: E92 M3
Send a message via AIM to MFactory Send a message via MSN to MFactory Send a message via Skype™ to MFactory
Note: I've already paid for and contacted the admin with regards to our vendor account. Until our forums status is switched over, I CANNOT reply/answer questions that are sales related. Please keep questions to a technical nature only.

First of all, we are very excited to have our LSD's now known in the E46 community. Over the past few months, we have only advertised for the E8x/E9x fitments and have sold a lot to North America and Europe (You can find first-hand reviews of our LSD's on several of the major BMW forums), but will now start to advertise for the older fitments (E3x/E4x).

To answer a few of the statements made above:

1) We are NOT OBX. This is actually the first thing that is said about us whenever someone has not heard of our company before. If you are not from a Honda background, then I do not blame you, as our roots started with Honda (and we are an OEM for Honda of America) and only just recently started advertising for the European fitments (we've had these fitments for a while, as we oem for a lot of aftermarket companies). As of 2014, we are now the worlds largest manufacturer of LSD's for Japanese and European vehicles.

2) Yes, our LSD's are made in Taiwan (this is our own factory; we do not outsource manufacturing), but all R&D is done in our US Facility in San Dimas. If you were to read our Company Info on our website, this details everything about our company, our background and even has a multitude of images in our gallery showing you our facilities. We are not a small company running from a basement in mom's house, and we certainly do not "farm" production out to another Taiwanese company. Everyone is free to come visit our facility.

3) We have several race teams worldwide that use our products in their race cars (as shown on our website). It is not just "local club racers", unless you call Honda Racing a "club racer"?

4) Several companies (inc. the ones you mentioned) purchase and use our LSD's in their builds, but they do not advertise as such

5) Our Metal Plate LSD is a spring-type pre-load design (similar to OS Giken and Cusco RS) and offers a progressive engagement, unlike the harsh engagement (i.e on/off switch) that is the cone-type pre-load design (Kaaz, ATS, Cusco MZ etc). It is less noisy and much more driveable on the street (i.e slow turning corners)

6) With a little known technique that takes a fraction of a second to implement, our Helical LSD (as well as the Quaife) can perform just as the Wavetrac does, without their marketing hype (that is their ONLY unique selling point, besides being "Made in USA") which is just that, marketing to try to fix a problem that isn't even a problem in the first place.

7) We offer a Lifetime Warranty (exc. plates/springs on the Metal Plate LSD as these are wear items) that is valid worldwide (unlike with Quaife. Most US companies back-door their Quaife LSD's from Birds in the UK, so you DO NOT have a valid warranty with Quaife USA, even if the company you bought it from told you that you do) and is transferable between owners (unlike with Quaife. We just need proof of purchase)

8) We are the ONLY company to offer our Feel The Torque Guarantee - Our 30 day Money Back Guarantee that you will feel and notice the difference after installing our LSD

I totally understand your concerns, especially as you may currently be using a Quaife or Wavetrac, but we had to do this exact same thing on every other BMW/VAG forum that we advertise on. In the end? We are going to do with BMW/VAG exactly what we done with the Honda market, and that is, be the best selling LSD available that just happens to be the Strongest (Forged 9310), Lightest (Forged), Best Machined (Tighter Tolerances), Most Affordable (especially with group buys) and, at the same time, offer the best pre and post-sales customer service (we normally reply within a few hours).

Last edited by MFactory; 05-30-2014 at 01:05 PM.
MFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #62
wanganstyle

My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFactory View Post
5) Our Metal Plate LSD is a spring-type pre-load design (similar to OS Giken and Cusco RS) and offers a progressive engagement, unlike the harsh engagement (i.e on/off switch) that is the cone-type pre-load design (Kaaz, ATS, Cusco MZ etc). It is less noisy and much more driveable on the street (i.e slow turning corners)
Who is copying who here? Chicken->egg->chicken its all the same honestly.

The OS super lok Patented springs keep the ramps from expanding and PREVENT lockup; this is the only reason a 20+ plate diff with actual friction plates (not steel on steel) can be streetable. OS is currently revising the 188K design; you dont have to worry about them as a competitor for a while as the product is not currently avail (OSG M2 is NA right now); even afterwards the client with the budget for an OS is very different (scarce client for scarce item)

as far as coil springs in the middle of differentials...... it def. gets confusing; It must be hard for one who doesn't race to keep the technobabble straight unless you actually deal with the install/setup/technical datalogging side and racers changes.

OS units utilize a cone type preload spring AND a set of coil springs in the center section for ANTI-preload; I think you got it confused with others; This is the famous OS giken Super-LOK

Cusco has 3 versions of clutch type LSD unit with 2 setups utilizing a preload coilspring; one in the center section and one from the outer sides, the other 1 using bellevue (cone) springs for preload.

not that much new under the sun

The OEM toyota LSD in my friends 1985 Toyota corolla GTS had very similar preload spring concept as this "revolutionary new" M-factory design. Nothing is new about the salisbury design; photo is the toyota rebuild set for metal plate LSD with coil springs (1985 Toyota genuine parts)

I think many would be interested in the M factory gear type unit if one could explain the inner workings. I think its a great product concept; its pointless to sell actual racing parts to those who just bench and street race; street products are much better!

Taiwan > China garbage any day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ae86.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	560106   Click image for larger version

Name:	LSD_Activation_direction.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	560107  

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

Last edited by wanganstyle; 05-30-2014 at 10:01 AM.
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #63
MFactory
Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to MFactory Send a message via MSN to MFactory Send a message via Skype™ to MFactory
The OS Giken springs are still pre-load springs, no matter how you want to call them, but adjustable with their internal screw/bolt. They work in conjunction with the external cone-springs (belleville washers). They are not "anti-lock", but rather, adjust the rate by which it locks (i.e pre-load). The only way to actually adjust lock is to re-stack the plates. Our v2 design (still under testing/development) will also utilise external cone-springs concurrently, along with pre-load adjustability via the cam (rather than via the springs like with the OS Giken). You need to remember, Japanese english translations are as good as Chinese english i.e Laughable at best.

I never said our Metal Plate LSD was a "revolutionary new product" (so I'm confused how you came to this conclusion?). The Salisbury style LSD (Metal Plate, Plate type, Clutch type etc etc) has been around for decades, yes, as has the Torsen style LSD (Helical, Gear Type etc etc). Rather than continue back-and-forth via public posts, I will concede first and agree to disagree. If you want to continue with this particular topic on the function of Plate type LSD's, please PM me.

With regards to the Helical LSD (Torsen style), these function differently from Plate type LSD's and do not lock. Instead, they are in a constant state of torque-bias between the left & right wheels, depending on which has the most traction/slip. As they do not lock, they are much smoother in operation than Plate type LSD's (until you actually put your foot down, you will hardly even notice it is there) and are maintenance-free. Maximum amount of torque that can be transferred to one wheel is 75% (with 25% going to the other wheel).

And you are correct about the market, yes. Infact, 90% of our customer base are street cars (and/or weekend warriors), so for the most part, we market and sell the Helical LSD far more than the Plate type LSD, which is also why we have nearly every Helical LSD vehicle application available (or currently under development), but only a select few for the Plate type LSD.

Last edited by MFactory; 05-30-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #64
wanganstyle

Quote:
The OS Giken springs are still pre-load springs, no matter how you want to call them, but adjustable with their internal screw/bolt. They work in conjunction with the external cone-springs (belleville washers). They are not "anti-lock", but rather, adjust the rate by which it locks (i.e pre-load). The only way to actually adjust lock is to re-stack the plates. Our v2 design (still under testing/development) will also utilise external cone-springs concurrently, along with pre-load adjustability via the cam (rather than via the springs like with the OS Giken). You need to remember, Japanese english translations are as good as Chinese english i.e Laughable at best.

I never said our Metal Plate LSD was a "revolutionary new product" (so I'm confused how you came to this conclusion?). The Salisbury style LSD (Metal Plate, Plate type, Clutch type etc etc) has been around for decades, yes, as has the Torsen style LSD (Helical, Gear Type etc etc). Rather than continue back-and-forth via public posts, I will concede first and agree to disagree. If you want to continue with this particular topic on the function of Plate type LSD's, please PM me.

With regards to the Helical LSD (Torsen style), these function differently from Plate type LSD's and do not lock. Instead, they are in a constant state of torque-bias between the left & right wheels, depending on which has the most traction/slip. As they do not lock, they are much smoother in operation than Plate type LSD's (until you actually put your foot down, you will hardly even notice it is there) and are maintenance-free. Maximum amount of torque that can be transferred to one wheel is 75% (with 25% going to the other wheel).

And you are correct about the market, yes. Infact, 90% of our customer base are street cars (and/or weekend warriors), so for the most part, we market and sell the Helical LSD far more than the Plate type LSD, which is also why we have nearly every Helical LSD vehicle application available (or currently under development), but only a select few for the Plate type LSD.
I know OS Giken from using them and working with them directly; the negative center springs counter the expansion of the center.

Many oem bmw clutch type lsd units do not use cone type preloaded springs at all; have you ever thought about this?

Easy to give ZF a phone call; they are the biggest manufacturer of differentials for European cars.

Misleading information about other aftermarket products is not welcome; especially if it's to promote your own product.

Have you ever driven or assembled a Springless clutch type differential? There are more than one available on the market.

Bmw uses them often; zf manufacturer

0 preload. Handles quite good; same reason the os Giken coil springs are negative springs to counter the Bellevue preload washers.

There is a clear reason why os is worth 0.6 seconds each lap over any other possible choice.

Helical units are good if they are cheap; quaife already has the top end the customer looking for them.

85% of the dreamers are looking for a budget point only.

LSD dreamers thread

Last edited by wanganstyle; 05-30-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #65
MFactory
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
I know OS Giken from using them and working with them directly; the negative center springs counter the expansion of the center.

Many oem bmw clutch type lsd units do not use cone type preloaded springs at all; have you ever thought about this?

Easy to give ZF a phone call; they are the biggest manufacturer of differentials for European cars.

Misleading information about other aftermarket products is not welcome; especially if it's to promote your own product.

Have you ever driven or assembled a Springless clutch type differential? There are more than one available on the market.

Bmw uses them often; zf manufacturer

0 preload. Handles quite good; same reason the os Giken coil springs are negative springs to counter the Bellevue preload washers.

There is a clear reason why os is worth 0.6 seconds each lap over any other possible choice.

Helical units are good if they are cheap; quaife already has the top end the customer looking for them.

85% of the dreamers are looking for a budget point only.
If you read my reply, you will see I have already answered most of the questions that you have asked/re-asked, and you even agree with me on your main argument (but in your own wording). As stated though, I'm not interested in a back-and-forth with you on this topic (of Plate LSD's) otherwise it won't end; you have your thoughts, I have mine, so if you want to continue, PM me, otherwise, I will just ignore these questions. Again, we should just agree to disagree

As for the Helical LSD's, I could let you know several advantages of the MFactory over our competitors (which I actually already did above), and is the reason why we are now advertising our LSD's for the European Cars.

Last edited by MFactory; 05-30-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #66
MFactory
Sponsor

New Group Buy for those interested in our Helical LSD's: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1039898

Last edited by MFactory; 05-30-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #67
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
New Group Buy for those interested in our Helical LSD's: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1039898

I'm glad to see you've done this.

Now it's just a matter of time for the first five (5) to ten (10) LSD units you sell to "Hit The Street". Hopefully there build quality is everything you say it is......time will tell.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #68
MFactory
Sponsor

I'm not quite sure on the posting policies regarding links to other forums, but you can find reviews on our E46 fitment LSD's on the E92, BBoost, N54 forums (07+ AT fitments use the smaller E46 fitment) as well as on the Z4 forums. If you can read Russian, you can also find reviews on their main bmwfanatics forum. We have actually sold 50+ of our E46 fitments over the past few months to members on these 5 forums alone, with positive feedback

Last edited by MFactory; 05-30-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #69
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
I've already mentioned over the Greek forum that I'm interested for a group by, if it doesn't work out I will sign-up here.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #70
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan Hussein View Post
DIY + Review coming soon
Old 06-03-2014, 05:42 AM   #71
Mafik

My Ride: 320 AT -> 330 MT
MFactory
Hi Stephen
Nice to see you there
@all
In fact I and my friends have positive (in most cases ) experience with MFactory Helical and Metal Plate LSDs.
Mafik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #72
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafik View Post
MFactory
Hi Stephen
Nice to see you there
@all
In fact I and my friends have positive (in most cases ) experience with MFactory Helical and Metal Plate LSDs.
Share pictures snd a review if possible please.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #73
paraklas

While waiting for the unit to arrive, thinking of getting the e46 m3 aluminium finned diff cover, worth the extra cost?

Old 06-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #74
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
While waiting for the unit to arrive, thinking of getting the e46 m3 aluminium finned diff cover, worth the extra cost?

That's the Z4 finned diff cover. I think it would be a necessity for the heat thats gonna build up in the new diff.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #75
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:

Get your temp gun & take a few readings Now as you DD your Bimmer under normal circumstances, log temps. Once your new LSD is installed do the same thing, then you'll know if you need a finned diff cover.

Good luck,
Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 06-03-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:34 AM   #76
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Get your temp gun & take a few readings Now as you DD your Bimmer under normal circumstances, log temps. Once your new LSD is installed do the same thing, then you'll know if you need a finned diff cover.

Good luck,
Rob43
That's a good idea, but this would mean to drop the diff again if a finned cover is needed. I prefer to do it "while I'm there" that's why I was asking, if someone has actually done what you're suggesting
Old 06-08-2014, 02:47 AM   #77
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:

What is the lockup %?

Old 06-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #78
MFactory
Sponsor

Helical LSD's don't lock; they are in a constant state of torque bias between the left/right wheel, depending on which wheel is slipping.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #79
wanganstyle

Quote:
That's a good idea, but this would mean to drop the diff again if a finned cover is needed. I prefer to do it "while I'm there" that's why I was asking, if someone has actually done what you're suggesting

Gear type units may actually run cooler than some clutch type as no engage/disengage is involved.

For a street driven e46 the standard cover and fluid capacity are adequate; I've logged plenty of street time in my own e46 non m with lsd and original cover. Fluid breakdown and residue from heat are no different than a stock e30/e36 bmw LSD.

From the Bmw factory e30/34/36 did not have finned covers; but they had factory bmw clutch type LSD.

Z3m, many of the 2004+ z4, 7 and 5 series models have finned diff covers and no available lsd from bmw.

For track use the stronger cover alone is worth the small price of the z4 cover. Under $200

Just lookup the price of a z3m cover yikes ~$400

I endurance race a e30 and we definitely need the finned cover and extra capacity; with 75-90 red line and a built racing clutch type diff there was oil caked on the center of lsd from from sheer heat after about 40hrs of racing. This is with the z3m finned cover that extra capacity; the e30 older diff cases also hold a little more oil than the modern compact lighter weight e46 188k cases.

If the gears in the helical type differential are high quality and precision than the heat will be minimal.

Somebody will need to buy it and log temps with racing data acquisition on the street

LSD dreamers thread

Last edited by wanganstyle; 06-08-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #80
paraklas

^Thank you for the info. I will leave the stock cover for now and check on the temperatures. the LSD has arrived and I'm going to pick it up either tomorrow or Friday. Additional items that are required? Oil seals etc? Bolts that may be one-time use?