E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
zilla3430

My Ride: 325i
Clutch job on my 325i

So I noticed a few months ago when I pushed on the gas petal in 5th gear that the rpms would rise but my car would not speed up, now this happens in every gear and I determined its the clutch. So I have a few questions, which is better? Self adjusting or regular? Does the self adjusting wear faster? If I replace it with a non adjusting one do I need a conversion kit?

Another question, is it worth changing the flywheel while im down there or is that something to be determined after I inspect it?

I found a kit on bavauto.com which includes One Piece Flywheel, Sprung-Hub Design Clutch Disc, Clutch Pressure Plate, Clutch Release Bearing, Crankshaft Pilot Bearing, Flywheel To Crankshaft Bolts, and Clutch Alignment Tool for $680. Has anyone used this site before? and is that a good investment? Do I need additional seals or conversion parts?

Sorry for all the questions but thanks for the help.
zilla3430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

My Ride: 1989 325is
Your symptoms certainly match those of a worn-out clutch. When replacing a clutch on this particular car you have some options. Your car has both a self-adjusting pressure plate and a dual mass flywheel. Both of these have their downsides. The pressure plates are known for premature failure, and it's quite common for them to be installed incorrectly shortening their life even more. The dual mass flywheels can't be machined for a new clutch to be installed on them. And the spring mechanisms wear out in them too. You can read more about this on our blog.

http://blog.bavauto.com/11949/bmw-se...-and-failures/

We offer a variety of clutch options for the car ranging from stock replacement flywheels and stock style clutches, to the Valeo conversion kit you are looking at (which is a direct replacement) and we also have lightweight flywheels and performance clutches. If you bought our regular stock replacement clutch kit (part number CK E46 1) it includes exhaust gaskets, transmission seals, a rear engine seal, and some other items needed to complete the job. The other clutch kits we sell do not include these. But we sell the clutch install kit (part number CK E46 1X) that includes all that stuff for use with the other clutch setups we sell.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Ken@BavAuto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, diy, drivetrain, plate, transmission