E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Grinchxvx

My Ride: 2001 M3, 1998 M3
Finally took 01 m3 in for dme recall, codes p0012

I've had a check engine light for the past few weeks but every time I tried to get the codes the obd2 would not be able to connect with the scanners. I called bmw last week and they said I had a open recall on my dme meaning that it needed to be updated and my obd2 would work again. So I went and got it all done today and on the way home stopped by autozone and they pulled the code p0012 (intake camshaft position sensor ) with their generic scan tool like nothing. So now I need some insight as to if I should replace the camshaft sensor or the vanos coil pack, or maybe even both? Car idles a little rough but seems to rev fine and I also have never had any vanos warnings and there we're no other codes besides p0012.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Grinchxvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Besian rebuilt solenoid first. All Vanos solenoids will fail due to vibrations cracking solder joints, so might as well do this good maintenance item before throwing parts at it.

Have the code cleared then go for a spirited drive. Higher engine revs exacerbate the solder joint issue, so if the CEL comes back on after some spirited driving you have a good indication its the Vanos solenoid issue.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Grinchxvx

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Besian rebuilt solenoid first. All Vanos solenoids will fail due to vibrations cracking solder joints, so might as well do this good maintenance item before throwing parts at it.

Have the code cleared then go for a spirited drive. Higher engine revs exacerbate the solder joint issue, so if the CEL comes back on after some spirited driving you have a good indication its the Vanos solenoid issue.
That's a good idea thanks, it's not much of an expensive part either so it won't be too bad! Alright ill try that method out just to make sure

Old 08-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
choxor

My Ride: JDM
You need to get a BMW specific scanner. Usually a failed VANOS solenoid is accompanied by VANOS codes. And if your solenoid is bad your car will run like absolute crap.

Is the solenoid still worth replacing as PM? Personally, yes. Even if it's not the cause of your current problem, it will become a problem in the future.

Last edited by choxor; 08-20-2013 at 12:37 PM.
choxor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Grinchxvx

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
You need to get a BMW specific scanner. Usually a failed VANOS solenoid is accompanied by VANOS codes. And if your solenoid is bad your car will run like absolute crap.

Is the solenoid still worth replacing as PM? Personally, yes. Even if it's not the cause of your current problem, it will become a problem in the future.
That's why I'm leaning more towards the camshaft sensor because that's the only code and my car is running decently. Ill try to have someone with a specific scanner look at it but ill probably just end up doing both with the cam sensor first since Its more simple than the vanos solenoid.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
taylor192

Quote:
And if your solenoid is bad your car will run like absolute crap.
Not entirely true and this response is why you shouldn't mislead people with over generalizations:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchxvx View Post
That's why I'm leaning more towards the camshaft sensor because that's the only code and my car is running decently.
When a Vanos issue surfaces the Vanos is disabled locking timing in the last known position. This does make the car perform worse in parts of the RPM range, yet nothing close to "absolute crap". Most people wouldn't even notice the Vanos was disabled if timing was locked to a value in the lower part of the RPM range since most of us don't drive near redline daily.

Quote:
You need to get a BMW specific scanner. Usually a failed VANOS solenoid is accompanied by VANOS codes.
Yes, yet those codes will not be conclusive to tell you whether it is the solenoid or the sensor. My car had the solder problem and even the Vanos diagnosis that checks the actual degrees of timing across the RPM range could not conclusively show the Vanos solenoid was at fault.

It is too bad the previous owner of my car wasted a lot of money on diagnosis on the Vanos issue. I solved it by doing the Besian fix as preventative maintenance for 1/2 the cost, thus why I recommend it before anything else, including further diagnosis.

Quote:
Ill try to have someone with a specific scanner look at it but ill probably just end up doing both with the cam sensor first since Its more simple than the vanos solenoid.
It is your money to waste throwing parts at a problem. The Vanos solenoid solder cracking is a known issue to cause the P0012 code and is very easy to replace, less than an hour including replacing the seals on the sealing plate and cleaning the Vanos filter.

There is a huge thread by Raj on M3F explaining the issue in far more detail. Find it, read it, replace the solenoid.

Last edited by taylor192; 08-20-2013 at 01:34 PM.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
choxor

My Ride: JDM
When my vanos solenoid failed it threw:

184 - EVanos1 Regulation
67 - EVanos1 Early Valve
72 - EVanos1 Late Valve

OP, you will need BMW specific software to get these codes. In my case I used INPA. It also caused misfires on all cylinders, which did indeed cause the car to run like absolute crap.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
taylor192

Quote:
When my vanos solenoid failed it threw:

184 - EVanos1 Regulation
67 - EVanos1 Early Valve
72 - EVanos1 Late Valve

OP, you will need BMW specific software to get these codes. In my case I used INPA. It also caused misfires on all cylinders, which did indeed cause the car to run like absolute crap.
I don't doubt your car ran like crap, yet that's not true for all cars that suffer the Vanos solder issue.

No need for BMW specific software. There are OBD codes mapped for most of the Vanos codes. Only 184 and 185 don't have generic OBD codes.

P0010 (BMW xx, 0xxx): Vanos intake solenoid circuit
P0011 (BMW 67, 0x43): Vanos intake timing over advanced
P0012 (BMW 72, 0x48): Vanos intake timing over retarded
Pxxxx (BMW 184, 0xB8): Vanos intake position control
P1525 (BMW xx, 0xxx): Vanos intake solenoid open circuit

P0013 (BMW xx, 0xxx): Vanos exhaust solenoid circuit
P0014 (BMW 22, 0x16): Vanos exhaust timing over advanced
P0015 (BMW 21, 015): Vanos exhaust timing over retarded
Pxxxx (BMW 185, 0xB9): Vanos exhaust position control
P1531 (BMW xx, 0xxx): Vanos exhaust solenoid open circuit
Old 08-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Grinchxvx

Quote:
Not entirely true and this response is why you shouldn't mislead people with over generalizations:

When a Vanos issue surfaces the Vanos is disabled locking timing in the last known position. This does make the car perform worse in parts of the RPM range, yet nothing close to "absolute crap". Most people wouldn't even notice the Vanos was disabled if timing was locked to a value in the lower part of the RPM range since most of us don't drive near redline daily.

Yes, yet those codes will not be conclusive to tell you whether it is the solenoid or the sensor. My car had the solder problem and even the Vanos diagnosis that checks the actual degrees of timing across the RPM range could not conclusively show the Vanos solenoid was at fault.

It is too bad the previous owner of my car wasted a lot of money on diagnosis on the Vanos issue. I solved it by doing the Besian fix as preventative maintenance for 1/2 the cost, thus why I recommend it before anything else, including further diagnosis.

It is your money to waste throwing parts at a problem. The Vanos solenoid solder cracking is a known issue to cause the P0012 code and is very easy to replace, less than an hour including replacing the seals on the sealing plate and cleaning the Vanos filter.

There is a huge thread by Raj on M3F explaining the issue in far more detail. Find it, read it, replace the solenoid.
I read through his write up and he also said it could be the sensor so it looks like you just have to go for it and hope. the problem is I have no tools or garage to do this in so I need to find a friend to help me or a local enthusiast.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
taylor192

Quote:
I read through his write up and he also said it could be the sensor so it looks like you just have to go for it and hope. the problem is I have no tools or garage to do this in so I need to find a friend to help me or a local enthusiast.
or buy some tools! Come on, what kinda car guy doesn't at least have a decent socket set?! I don't have a garage either, all my DIYs are in my condo parking space.

Any shop can install the Besian Vanos solenoid for 1 hour labour.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
Grinchxvx

Quote:
or buy some tools! Come on, what kinda car guy doesn't at least have a decent socket set?! I don't have a garage either, all my DIYs are in my condo parking space.

I start school learning auto refinishing tomorrow and ill be buying tools for that soon so I'm just going to buy the parts and see where i sit by the time they get here.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
Alroy

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG CWPkg.
Quote:

Who is willing to rip apart their block cover to replace only the solenoid pack? I just purchased everything Beisan has for the S54 motor, including the oil pump disk. I'm also pretty sure that you need the timing tool with a locking pin. 1 hour....more like 5 hours, according to Raj.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
khr0n1x

My Ride: 2004 CARBON BLACK M3

I had the same problem, turned out to be the vanos solenoid, my car would feel cammed, rev fine, drive fine, idle wouldn't move, but while idling my car felt cammed even though the idle didn't move and my car had quiet pops from the exhaust. I ended up cleaning the cable connected to the solenoid and it fixed the problem!

| VMR V710 Gunmetal Grey 19" |
| Agency Power V1 Exhaust |

khr0n1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
Grinchxvx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alroy View Post
Who is willing to rip apart their block cover to replace only the solenoid pack? I just purchased everything Beisan has for the S54 motor, including the oil pump disk. I'm also pretty sure that you need the timing tool with a locking pin. 1 hour....more like 5 hours, according to Raj.
Nope this doesn't involve messing with the timing or anything like that, replacing the solenoid is basically just taking off 4 bolts

Old 08-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
Grinchxvx

Quote:
Originally Posted by khr0n1x View Post
I had the same problem, turned out to be the vanos solenoid, my car would feel cammed, rev fine, drive fine, idle wouldn't move, but while idling my car felt cammed even though the idle didn't move and my car had quiet pops from the exhaust. I ended up cleaning the cable connected to the solenoid and it fixed the problem!

This sounds exactly like my car, I bought the parts yesterday so if they're here by Friday I'm either finding a friend to help me or taking it to my local Indy for 50 bucks

Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
Alroy

Quote:
Nope this doesn't involve messing with the timing or anything like that, replacing the solenoid is basically just taking off 4 bolts

I see. So whats your opinion? Should I just replace the solenoid pack? I have all of the seals and oil pump disk from Beisan too. Is it best to just rip the VANOS out and rebuild everything?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
Grinchxvx

Quote:
I see. So whats your opinion? Should I just replace the solenoid pack? I have all of the seals and oil pump disk from Beisan too. Is it best to just rip the VANOS out and rebuild everything?
If you already have all the parts then go for it but make sure you know exactly what you're doing and If not the have someone else do it. I don't want to deal with the timing on my car so I'm saving the rest of the vanos stuff for later until I find someone who can do it!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #18
Alroy

Already got that covered. My godfather works on BMW's all of the time and plans to repair the VANOS in my garage this Saturday. I could follow the DIY that Beisan has but I think for major mechanical work like this, it'd be safe if someone else did it. I'm pretty excited. Waited over a year for this day to come LOL.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #19
Grinchxvx

Quote:
Already got that covered. My godfather works on BMW's all of the time and plans to repair the VANOS in my garage this Saturday. I could follow the DIY that Beisan has but I think for major mechanical work like this, it'd be safe if someone else did it. I'm pretty excited. Waited over a year for this day to come LOL.
Having the hookups is nice, ill diy alot of things but major work ehhhh.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #20
taylor192

Re: Finally took 01 m3 in for dme recall, codes p0012

Quote:
Please don't comment if you don't know what you're talking about, you only confuse the OP. You might want to do some more research before tackling the Besian repairs since you're not very familiar with the vanos parts.

The solenoid is mounted under the vanos pump on the outside of the engine. No need to disassemble the motor.

Last edited by taylor192; 08-21-2013 at 11:07 PM.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote