E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Solo118

My Ride: '02 330ci, '12 MDX
Send a message via AIM to Solo118
Mediabridge Alternative for Bluetooth, iPhone integration?

So I have been looking around and the audiovox/dice mediabridge is not getting such hot reviews. I already have an iPod adapter going directly to the radio, but I would like to have Bluetooth capability as well.

I am a fairly simple guy, I just want to have Bluetooth in my car to make phone calls and do streaming music. I want a simple device that can be installed in the cd changer slot in my trunk. Obviously I would need to run some wires to my cupholder area or glovebox, but that shouldn't be a problem.

If anyone can recommend an alternative I would greatly appreciate it! I have definitely looked into the d5150 unit but it has too many features I would not be using.

Thanks!

Gone and will be missed!

Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Youngcity0829

My Ride: 95 M3
The mediabridge is capable of doing what you are looking for, The main reason there isnt alot of good reviews is usuall installer error or bad technical support when coming to these units. The unit is very well designed and is actually a great product.

95 M3 - gone / 94 330i - sold / 04 G35 6MT - Sold / 13' SWP WRX Stage 2 - current
Youngcity0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Solo118

Fair enough, but are there any other options?

Is GROM a good choice? Again, just need a basic bluetooth plug n play device

Thanks!

Gone and will be missed!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Youngcity0829

My Ride: 95 M3
I wouldnt even know lol, I work for the company that makes the mediabridge unit. If it is installed correctly, it will work flawless.

95 M3 - gone / 94 330i - sold / 04 G35 6MT - Sold / 13' SWP WRX Stage 2 - current
Youngcity0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Pinned

My Ride: RSTi, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngcity0829 View Post
I wouldnt even know lol, I work for the company that makes the mediabridge unit. If it is installed correctly, it will work flawless.
Ahh, now it makes sense why you never blame the mediabridge itself.

For what it's worth I just purchased and returned one recently. It sounded pretty poor and was too finicky for me to trust.

I tried the device multiple times using two different CD changer - Dice cables (luckily I had access to two cables, thinking the one I received with mine may have been faulty), multiple Dock Connector to USB cables, and multiple Lightning cables. Firmware was up to date on all devices, I tried the install about 10 different times in my M3, even had someone else try the install. Seemed impossible to be making a mistake as there are about 4 installation steps, turns out I was not making any mistakes, the mediabridge just didn't work very well. When it did decide to work the sound quality was unacceptable with static and clipping going on. I thought I got a defective unit, and sourced a Dice Duo to test with, same issues there. Turns out the issue is not my stereo, as it sounds crystal clear (well, as clear as the stock HK gets) when using a CD.

OP, your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't count on getting good audio out of one of these devices.
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
TnT817

My Ride: 01 330ci
If you just want to make calls through bluetooth you can do the parrot bluetooth retrofit with the steering wheel control harness. This makes the bluetooth answering and what not capable with the steering wheel. This will not play music though. But in all reality we all know iPhone batteries don't last especially if you are trying to stream music and use bluetooth. Better off just using the ipod adaptor you have that charges your phone and then just having your phone link up through bluetooth for calls. If you just have an aux input for your radio I highly recommend the bavarian soundworks soundplictiy iphone integration. I have tried every device out there including dice, USA spec, and others. This one is by far the most simple and best sounding. Although I prefer to have things just do their job and do it well and not have all the other fancy gadgets atttached to them like the dice does.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:38 AM   #7
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
I've got the GROM USB2 and I haven't had any issues with it at all.

Connects to my phone as soon as I open the door and siri works through the speakers and mic...
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #8
Solo118

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS330 View Post
I've got the GROM USB2 and I haven't had any issues with it at all.

Connects to my phone as soon as I open the door and siri works through the speakers and mic...
As an update to my original post, I got the Grom as well. Will install over labor day

Gone and will be missed!

Old 09-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
TnT817

My Ride: 01 330ci
Did you end up getting the GROM installed? If so how do you like it? Is the music quality what it would be if a cd was playing?
Old 09-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #10
Solo118

Not yet, my cousin will be helping me install it soon.

Gone and will be missed!

Old 09-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
av516

My Ride: 01 325, 04 330ZHP
Pls give us an update
av516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
N-AM 007

My Ride: 330ci 2001
Any updates?
N-AM 007 is offline   Reply With Quote