E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #21
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
Bmw doesn't recommend greasing the slide pins but I do, especially if you're in a climate where rust and corrosion are factors. I would use a SMALL amount on any make or model regardless of the manufacturer's suggestion.

Silicone brake caliper and dielectric grease. Clean and reapply every year or 20000km
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by xps View Post
Well I should have specified, greasing isn't recommended on BMWs(so far what I have read of forums).

And that was not an advice Mango that was a sincere doubt I have , because that's what I understood even from the product description on amazon

"Suggested applications include disc brake caliper hardware, pistons, brushings, rubber sleeves and seals"

For pads (that's what OP mentioned he bought new) I thought CRC like compound would help better.

Again not an adivce just my doubts and views
You read that on "forums" because you read it from me. I started enforcing this a long time ago and peoples reactions (like many other topics here) were WAT?! NO! FALSE! Now it's quiet. I'm sure some others knew, but I make it known very publicly.

Regardless of what a product label says, you should always follow the specific recommendations by your manufacturer for your particular application. Product labels say this as well.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #23
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 325i View Post
Bmw doesn't recommend greasing the slide pins but I do, especially if you're in a climate where rust and corrosion are factors. I would use a SMALL amount on any make or model regardless of the manufacturer's suggestion.

Silicone brake caliper and dielectric grease. Clean and reapply every year or 20000km
Guide pins shouldn't rust if the bushing caps are installed. BMW does not only "doesn't recommend it," they specifically instruct NOT to do it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #24
2003 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
BMW stating not to grease the pins is cannot be likened to their lifetime fluid program. Not greasing the pins does not affect the image of the brand.
Neither has to do with branding. My point was that they're wrong more than once. Forgot about that other exposed end didn't you
Old 08-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #25
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Neither has to do with branding. My point was that they're wrong more than once. Forgot about that other exposed end didn't you
It has everything to do with it. It's a business and marketing case pure and simple. Prior to a certain point, BMW had proper service intervals for these "lifetime" fluids. This isn't limited to BMW. Mercedes, Audi, VW have been doing this for years. It's been discussed to death for nearly a decade. Google is your friend.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #26
xps

My Ride: 05 325ci w/ zhp eng
remanufactured calipers from ECStuning came with filled (almost overflowing) grease in the guide pin hole.. I actually opened the cap and cleaned a bit before installing.
xps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #27
2003 325i

Quote:
It has everything to do with it. It's a business and marketing case pure and simple. Prior to a certain point, BMW had proper service intervals for these "lifetime" fluids. This isn't limited to BMW. Mercedes, Audi, VW have been doing this for years. It's been discussed to death for nearly a decade. Google is your friend.
That's fine and good but ive never seen an ad boasting about lifetime fluid and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a salesman that mentions it as a selling point.... likely because theyd look like a tool for saying such a preposterous thing.

Regardless... grease the pins... benefit outweighs the cost by far... just like bmw's lifetime fluids.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #28
Sapote

My Ride: E46 2000 323i wagon
Quote:
No. Grease is NOT to be used on the caliper guide pins. Please stop giving advice.
So what should be used to lube the guide pins? Pure Lavender Honey?

Sapote
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #29
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
That's fine and good but ive never seen an ad boasting about lifetime fluid and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a salesman that mentions it as a selling point.... likely because theyd look like a tool for saying such a preposterous thing.

Regardless... grease the pins... benefit outweighs the cost by far... just like bmw's lifetime fluids.
You obviously don't understand the way the world works. This isn't about commercial ads or sales pitches. Just... nevermind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
So what should be used to lube the guide pins? Pure Lavender Honey?

Sapote
Nothing. No lubrication needed. Ever.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #30
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by xps View Post
remanufactured calipers from ECStuning came with filled (almost overflowing) grease in the guide pin hole.. I actually opened the cap and cleaned a bit before installing.
That's likely an anti-corrosion gel similar to "cosmoline" what BMW uses at the factory. Also comes on rotors, etc. Either way, third-parties reman parts and ship them off. No biggy. wash it out.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #31
Kris323i

My Ride: 323i
BMW brakes need grease?

I bought oem pads and rotors put them on dry with no issues or squeaks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Kris323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #32
2003 325i

Quote:
You obviously don't understand the way the world works. This isn't about commercial ads or sales pitches. Just... nevermind.

Nothing. No lubrication needed. Ever.
Agree to disagree. As a mechanic I will continue to use it and advise others to do so. You can keep suckling from the BMW teat.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #33
Smurphymurphy89

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Pads

Yeah but should I still grease up the back of the pads that's the only thing I was going to grease anyway ?
Smurphymurphy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #34
HOTBMW

My Ride: 2000 323i
NO! Grease could come off and get on you pads/rotors and reduce your stopping distance. Use something specific to stop squeals. I just changed my pads and used CRC's anti-squeal on the back of the pads. Looks like a small bottle of pink goop. I put a light coat of it on the shims with a small brush and let it dry. It dries to a rubber like consistancy. 600+ miles, no squeaks.
HOTBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #35
xps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTBMW View Post
NO! Grease could come off and get on you pads/rotors and reduce your stopping distance. Use something specific to stop squeals. I just changed my pads and used CRC's anti-squeal on the back of the pads. Looks like a small bottle of pink goop. I put a light coat of it on the shims with a small brush and let it dry. It dries to a rubber like consistancy. 600+ miles, no squeaks.
+1

Use the CRC stuff they are messy but they work
Old 08-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #36
Smurphymurphy89

My Ride: 2005 325xi
What's that where do you. Get that? I wonder what BMW uses when they so a brake job do you know
Smurphymurphy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #37
Mango
A full five stars, son

Do NOT use the CRC stuff. I already posted advising against this.

Use this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...2&postcount=10

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #38
xps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurphymurphy89 View Post
What's that where do you. Get that? I wonder what BMW uses when they so a brake job do you know

Last edited by xps; 08-23-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #39
xps

Old 08-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #40
HOTBMW

My Ride: 2000 323i
I got the CRC anti-squeak at Autozone and so far this stuff has worked. If at some point the brakes start to squeal I'll take the CRC stuff off with a wire brush and use something else. I would probably use what Mango suggests. FYI, I'll be the first to admit I'm not an expert on brakes, BMW's or cars in general but I do a fair amount of research before I start a project. BTW, I have to say that I have gained a lot of knowledgable by reading this forum and if I had seen what Mango suggested, I probably would have gone with that.

Last edited by HOTBMW; 08-23-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: syntax
HOTBMW is offline   Reply With Quote