E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #41
EDWAGON

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurphymurphy89 View Post
What's that where do you. Get that? I wonder what BMW uses when they so a brake job do you know
BMW uses plastilube made by Ate, that's what I used on back of my pads worked great. I bought a 75 ml tube from pelican when I did front brakes and rotors.

Last edited by EDWAGON; 08-23-2013 at 09:36 PM.
EDWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #42
Brickhole

My Ride: 325i
BMW brakes need grease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
It has everything to do with it. It's a business and marketing case pure and simple. Prior to a certain point, BMW had proper service intervals for these "lifetime" fluids. This isn't limited to BMW. Mercedes, Audi, VW have been doing this for years. It's been discussed to death for nearly a decade. Google is your friend.
Not to mention ford GM and Chrysler.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-24-2013, 02:57 AM   #43
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTBMW View Post
I got the CRC anti-squeak at Autozone and so far this stuff has worked. If at some point the brakes start to squeal I'll take the CRC stuff off with a wire brush and use something else. I would probably use what Mango suggests. FYI, I'll be the first to admit I'm not an expert on brakes, BMW's or cars in general but I do a fair amount of research before I start a project. BTW, I have to say that I have gained a lot of knowledgable by reading this forum and if I had seen what Mango suggested, I probably would have gone with that.
Keep in mind you probably could have also used nothing and been "fine."

BMW TIS instructs the use of anti-squeal lubricant. CRC is not lubricant but more liquid rubber that dries into solid rubber. It could in effect stop brake squeal (I won't say how or why unless anyone is genuinely interested), but would do so with the unnecessary mess that CRC creates. It squishes and oozes everywhere and dries on anything it comes into contact with and is hard to remove.

The lubricant I posted is for extremely high temperatures and doesn't leave the visually ugly mess CRC does.

With either product, less is more. No need to slather it on as that is potentially dangerous. Just apply light coats to brake pad backing (shim) and bracket contact areas.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 08-24-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #44
HOTBMW

My Ride: 2000 323i
I agree it is a bit of mess and visually it sucks. But a dremel with a wire brush attachment will take it right off once it is dry. Either one of my cats or chickens knocked it off the table onto the ground and got it filled with hay. Dremel took it right off.
HOTBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #45
Smurphymurphy89

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Yeah well I picked up the high temp stuff it must be good for 18 bucks a bottle at advanced auto
Smurphymurphy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #46
Sapote

My Ride: E46 2000 323i wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
BMW does not only "doesn't recommend it," they specifically instruct NOT to do it.

[/IMG]
We're adults and like to know why BMW so strongly don't want the pins be lubed? My wild guess is that they afraid the grease migrate to the pin's thread and help to loosen it, and this might lead to the whole caliper hanging by the hose when you need to stop the car. since this is a critical component and since I want my calipers to float freely for maximum MPG and the pads last long, I used "soft" Loctite on the pin thread and grease on its shaft.

Sapote
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote