E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #41
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
You guys all suck at recommending cars. OP says he wants three rows and I see recommendations for cars without third row seating. Every thread this happens.
you're surprised? lol
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #42
330XiNamedBif
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 161
My Ride: 2005 330Xi 6-speed
Have you checked out the 4Runner at all? It is based on old architecture but the sacrifices in driving characteristics are minimal and the reliability is outstanding. So is the resale value. We just purchased a 2014 SR5 with the navigation package at $4500 under sticker. They also gave us $5000 for our 2003 4Runner with 207k on the odometer.

The Infiniti JX also seems to be a vehicle I suspect you could get a great deal on. They're a crossover (mechanically similar to the Pathfinder I believe) and seem to be overlooked by most buyers. A sales guy for my company has one and loves it. It has some very innovative safety features. Good luck with your purchase.
__________________
2005 330Xi 6-speed with Sport, Cold Weather, and Premium Packages. Titanium Silver/ Black leather, myrtle wood interior trim.
330XiNamedBif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #43
Krizzy TanG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 492
My Ride: E90 and F30 diesel
OP should get an e30 m3 or a 77 Carrera 3.0
__________________
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/picture.php?albumid=530&pictureid=11372
Krizzy TanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #44
330XiNamedBif
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 161
My Ride: 2005 330Xi 6-speed
If you do end up buying th Nissan I would avoid the moonroof option. I am going to assume that all Nissan's use the same moonroof drain system (I know the Versa, Sentra, and Altima do at least). The system design is poor and employs a 90 degree elbow where the drain tubes meet the wheel wells. These elbows are prone to clogging and will eventually cause water to backup into your car, ruining the interior from the top down. A good friend of mine was paid his Nissan dealer close to $400 to clear the drains 3 times in the first two years (not considered warranty service) and finally just gave up. He traded the car in for another brand car after the mildew smell became overpowering. Major design flaw.
__________________
2005 330Xi 6-speed with Sport, Cold Weather, and Premium Packages. Titanium Silver/ Black leather, myrtle wood interior trim.
330XiNamedBif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #45
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XiNamedBif View Post
If you do end up buying th Nissan I would avoid the moonroof option. I am going to assume that all Nissan's use the same moonroof drain system (I know the Versa, Sentra, and Altima do at least). The system design is poor and employs a 90 degree elbow where the drain tubes meet the wheel wells. These elbows are prone to clogging and will eventually cause water to backup into your car, ruining the interior from the top down. A good friend of mine was paid his Nissan dealer close to $400 to clear the drains 3 times in the first two years (not considered warranty service) and finally just gave up. He traded the car in for another brand car after the mildew smell became overpowering. Major design flaw.
thanks, i've heard that too. and here in illinois where the trees are always throwing stuff down onto cars it would be a major concern. i'll take a brief look at the other cars you mentioned.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #46
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,479
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Infiniti JX (or whatever they're calling it these days) is a Pathfinder with a nicer suit on, that's all.

4Runner is only two rows of seating.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #47
330XiNamedBif
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 161
My Ride: 2005 330Xi 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Infiniti JX (or whatever they're calling it these days) is a Pathfinder with a nicer suit on, that's all.

4Runner is only two rows of seating.
4Runner offers the third row seat as an option on the SR5 and Limited models. It is not offered on the Trail Edition. I know. I just bought one.
__________________
2005 330Xi 6-speed with Sport, Cold Weather, and Premium Packages. Titanium Silver/ Black leather, myrtle wood interior trim.
330XiNamedBif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #48
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,479
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
That must be new for 2014 then, none of the older ones ever had them. How small is the seat back there? You must not have any cargo space with the third row in then?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #49
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virgo Supercluster
Posts: 8,664
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
you're surprised? lol
I'm more surprised that no one recommended an E39 M5 and just buying an old F-150 for utility.
__________________
BMW VIN Decoder

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #50
330XiNamedBif
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 161
My Ride: 2005 330Xi 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
That must be new for 2014 then, none of the older ones ever had them. How small is the seat back there? You must not have any cargo space with the third row in then?
The thrid row seat has been an option since 2003. It is on the small side but I do not have kids so I have never looked at the third row and avoided looking at them when I bought ours a couple months ago.
__________________
2005 330Xi 6-speed with Sport, Cold Weather, and Premium Packages. Titanium Silver/ Black leather, myrtle wood interior trim.
330XiNamedBif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #51
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virgo Supercluster
Posts: 8,664
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XiNamedBif View Post
If you do end up buying th Nissan I would avoid the moonroof option. I am going to assume that all Nissan's use the same moonroof drain system (I know the Versa, Sentra, and Altima do at least). The system design is poor and employs a 90 degree elbow where the drain tubes meet the wheel wells. These elbows are prone to clogging and will eventually cause water to backup into your car, ruining the interior from the top down. A good friend of mine was paid his Nissan dealer close to $400 to clear the drains 3 times in the first two years (not considered warranty service) and finally just gave up. He traded the car in for another brand car after the mildew smell became overpowering. Major design flaw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
thanks, i've heard that too. and here in illinois where the trees are always throwing stuff down onto cars it would be a major concern. i'll take a brief look at the other cars you mentioned.
Knowing this ahead of time, it could be an easy issue to keep tabs on. How big are the tubes? You could just buy a small pipe snake and fit it in. Maybe even a trumpet/trombone cleaning rod would do it. They're flexible.
__________________
BMW VIN Decoder

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #52
330XiNamedBif
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 161
My Ride: 2005 330Xi 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Knowing this ahead of time, it could be an easy issue to keep tabs on. How big are the tubes? You could just buy a small pipe snake and fit it in. Maybe even a trumpet/trombone cleaning rod would do it. They're flexible.
If only that were the case. The system utilizes hard plastic connectors and flexible plastic tubing. So if you attempt to push an object hrough with a snake device you more than likely end up separating the tubing and the connector which allows the built up water to release somewhere in the A or C-pillar rather than out of the vehicle. Unless you can reconnect these the water will continue to empty into your interior.
__________________
2005 330Xi 6-speed with Sport, Cold Weather, and Premium Packages. Titanium Silver/ Black leather, myrtle wood interior trim.
330XiNamedBif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #53
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virgo Supercluster
Posts: 8,664
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XiNamedBif View Post
If only that were the case. The system utilizes hard plastic connectors and flexible plastic tubing. So if you attempt to push an object hrough with a snake device you more than likely end up separating the tubing and the connector which allows the built up water to release somewhere in the A or C-pillar rather than out of the vehicle. Unless you can reconnect these the water will continue to empty into your interior.
Well that sucks. Good thing I'll never buy a Nissan anyway.
__________________
BMW VIN Decoder

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #54
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,479
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XiNamedBif View Post
The thrid row seat has been an option since 2003. It is on the small side but I do not have kids so I have never looked at the third row and avoided looking at them when I bought ours a couple months ago.
Really? I've never seen one with a 3rd row seat installed. Are they fold flat or take them out kind of seats?
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #55
330XiNamedBif
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 161
My Ride: 2005 330Xi 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Really? I've never seen one with a 3rd row seat installed. Are they fold flat or take them out kind of seats?
I believe they are fold flat and removable, but I'm not sure. I know you can order separate rear A/C controls if you get the third row, but I've honestly never seen them in person. Should be easy to find with a quick google search.
__________________
2005 330Xi 6-speed with Sport, Cold Weather, and Premium Packages. Titanium Silver/ Black leather, myrtle wood interior trim.
330XiNamedBif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #56
325seeeye
Core Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rocket City
Posts: 1,162
My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
got back into investigating cars. Pathfinder was at top of the list with Traverse just behind. Out were the explorer and outlier.

just checked out the pilot, highlander, cx9, and just by chance the durango. wife didn't like the feel of the pilot. cx9 was too small. highlander was nice, but for the price seemed really cheap. not sure why they go for so much? redrove the pathfinder and it was still a top contender, but the cvt issue is scaring me away. drove the traverse again and seemed like a step down in quality.

NFRs2000nyc, I'm seriously considering the 2014 Durango!! the car blew me away! soft, quiet, comfortable ride. lots of room! great interior and options. it was a 2013 crew trim. reviews on the durango have been great! most people like me remember the old ones and just checked the new ones out on a whim and were amazed! good gas mileage, great handling.

have been reading and i think the 2014's have enough improvement changes to go that route instead of the 2013. biggest change is the 8 speed tranny having better gas mileage and power dist. thinking the 2014 limited trim is what i want. don't need the hemmy. thoughts? do you have your yet?
I have 2 things to add since my previous contributions to this thread

1.) I looked at a Hyundai Sante Fe (not the Sport model - the regular "Sante Fe" which is the bigger one). It had a 3rd row. It was actually pretty nice. It is at least worth your consideration. Still had some cheapy parts, but overall it was much better than previous Hyundai products.

2.) I recently bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (I know, not a 3rd row). But it has the same V6 and 8-speed auto as the Durango. Also, it uses the same UConnect Infotainment center as the Durango. I, too, was blown away with the way it drove. Smooth. Quiet. The 8-speed shifts are smooth. The structure is vault-like. The V6 has better power than I imagined. The UConnect system is great. It actually feels very Germanic (maybe it is the M-class underpinnings, I don't know - but it is impressive). I like it alot. No regrets on the purchase. If you are worried about risking reliability (as I was), you can get a 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty for ~$1000.

Those are my $0.02 FWIW.
__________________
325seeeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #57
makecopies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 1600 Penn. Ave
Posts: 1,803
My Ride: Gods Chariot
I drive a 1987 2 door pathfinder and its a beast!
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #58
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
I have 2 things to add since my previous contributions to this thread

1.) I looked at a Hyundai Sante Fe (not the Sport model - the regular "Sante Fe" which is the bigger one). It had a 3rd row. It was actually pretty nice. It is at least worth your consideration. Still had some cheapy parts, but overall it was much better than previous Hyundai products.

2.) I recently bought a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (I know, not a 3rd row). But it has the same V6 and 8-speed auto as the Durango. Also, it uses the same UConnect Infotainment center as the Durango. I, too, was blown away with the way it drove. Smooth. Quiet. The 8-speed shifts are smooth. The structure is vault-like. The V6 has better power than I imagined. The UConnect system is great. It actually feels very Germanic (maybe it is the M-class underpinnings, I don't know - but it is impressive). I like it alot. No regrets on the purchase. If you are worried about risking reliability (as I was), you can get a 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty for ~$1000.

Those are my $0.02 FWIW.
yes i discussed the sante fe with a sales guy and also talked about the hyundai that is coming out with a third row. these are smaller and sportier like the cx9 though.

the shared platform between the merc and grand cherokee seem to have really boosted the durango to the next level. the 8 speed is why i am thinking going with the 2014 instead of a 12 or 13'. heard what you have said on the uconnect being nice.

overall i just think that dodge/merc/jeep have finally got their **** together and the durango is really leveraging that to the max where you are getting a lot of car for the money! the V6 is bulletproof and has been around forever, matched to the new gear box and the giant fuel tank are really nice.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #59
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
dafuq is nfsr2000? wake up!
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #60
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,479
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Unless you are getting a significant price break on the 2012/2013, go with the 2014. The fuel economy will probably make up for it anyway and didn't they do a refresh for 2014? The new Durangos look badass.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use