E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Burnex

My Ride: 2002 330CI
Question New amp suggestions?

Hey all, I've had this subwoofer set up in my previous car, and it didn't sound too good, so i need your opinion on what i should power it with.

it is a Kicker 10" L3 solo-baric, here are the specs below:

10" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils
square SoloKon™ polypropylene cone with Santoprene rubber surround
stamped steel basket
power range: 200-400 watts RMS (200 watts per voice coil)
peak power: 800 watts
frequency response: 25-500 Hz
sensitivity: 85.3 dB

I know a lot of forum members here are against kicker, but this is just temporary.
if anyone can point me in the right direction with buying a good amp to power this sub, please comment!

also, I'd like to replace all the speakers eventually, which would be a good brand/setup for that as well!? thank you all.
Burnex is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Mrpoman

My Ride: 04 330cic
Burnex,

I don't know if you are still looking, but I went with an 8" L7 solo-baric and am powering it with a Precision Power i650.1. My last amp was a Boss 1500 watt unit and it would go into thermal shutdown after about 20 mins. So far very pleased with the i650. It is a class D amp so doesn't dump out nearly as much heat as a class AB amp. My car is a '04 vert and there is not much room on the sides of the ski pass so this amp fits perfectly.
Mrpoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
UltimatePeter

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
My advice would be:

-Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D

Here is why:
You will be able to run this at 4 ohms if you wire the dual voice coils in circuit (not parallel). Then, you can adjust this amp and just not run it totally full blast. It is rated 450w @ 4 ohms and I know that you can push kickers a bit over if you want to, or you can run light and keep it safe. Buying this amp will let you extend your plans into the future. Since you say this is temporary, you can then move on to something wired @ 2 ohms and use the same amp at 900w. This way you can get better speakers and not have to upgrade your amp. Personally, I have a Kicker Solo Baric L7 15-inch running on a Hifonics Brutus 1600.1 and it is working awesome. Here is a little vid below of how that is:

Last edited by UltimatePeter; 09-12-2013 at 09:11 AM.
UltimatePeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amp, kicker, l3