E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
The Patton Build Thread!

The time has come.

Since the day I bought my car, It was perfect. I had always wanted an E46, since I was little. But there was something else. I always wanted more out of it. I knew it would always be better. I knew I could make it better... The way I wanted it.

The mods started slowly. Clear corners here, an intake system there. But it was never enough. Then, before I spent to much money, I decided to go with an M3. So, will all boldness, I purchased a 2002 M3. I was In love. The power was intoxicating. It was comfortable and beautiful.

But the Gods seemed to think otherwise. I had, at the time, sold my 323 to my father. He drove it for a bit, but nothing to big. Then 3 months of ownership into my M3, I was rear ended and it was totaled. It was a sad day.

After my car crash, my father agreed to sell my 323 back to me. I was happy to be with my old friend, but I was left craving the power. I became convinced, in a weird way, that I was meant to be with this silver sedan. Its just as well. I love my car. Every time I look at it, she gives me a smile. The amount of time and money I have invested in my car, is far more than I would ever dream to get back.

So ever since the M3, I have been going back and forth as to how I wanted to get more power. I debated doing and S54 swap, and going with FI. I also have a thread on that as well. I have changed my mind on the subject more than some politicians change opinions. But now...

I have finally decided.

I have ordered a supercharger. Its an ESS TS2 twin screw. Upon debating the brands and many types, I had decided that the TS2 will give me the best blend of power and reliability. The power curves on the twin screw configuration are far more consistent than any other setup on the market. I wanted daily driver smoothness with M3ish power. I realize that there are more powerful vehicles around. But I have come to terms that it will be enough for me. I am going to use this thread to document the install process, and final results, as well as long term usage of the product. I know some people are going to say I'm stupid, and that its a waste of money. But its my damn money.

For now, I will wait. The kit is being assembled. Hopefully in the next week it will ship out. I will be like a kid staring at the Christmas tree, anxiously waiting to open the box! I will update accordingly!

Peace, to all my fellow fanatics!

Last edited by Patton323I; 07-27-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Patton323I is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
Since the accident doesn't look like your fault, is there paricular reason you didn't get another M3?

Anyhow, waiting for update.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Nothing like the excitement of ordering stuff like that. Should be fun.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Patton323I

Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
Since the accident doesn't look like your fault, is there paricular reason you didn't get another M3?

Anyhow, waiting for update.
Insurance for one. Cost of ownership for another. But mainly, its the fact that my car is paid for, and I know everything about it.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Good decision, the wait is going to be killer though. Why didn't you pick up another M? I'm all for 4 doors though.

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
BobbyC

My Ride: 2000 328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton323I View Post
Insurance for one. Cost of ownership for another. But mainly, its the fact that my car is paid for, and I know everything about it.
Sorry about the M3, but your silver car is damn beautiful. Did you dyno it yet?? I would like to see the hp numbers.
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
HLG600

My Ride: German
Quote:
All valid reasons. Good luck with the build. Post before and after dyno's if you can!
HLG600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Patton323I

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
Sorry about the M3, but your silver car is damn beautiful. Did you dyno it yet?? I would like to see the hp numbers.
I haven't even got it yet. Those are just pictures from the manufactures website.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
I think that you should have gone with a 328 or 330 first and then go TS2...
Old 08-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Patton323I

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharias View Post
I think that you should have gone with a 328 or 330 first and then go TS2...
I don't want a different car. The 323 is a perfectly capable platform. I'm tired of everyone giving it a bad rap. I love my 323.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
siegel0919

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
what rims are those?
siegel0919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
Quote:
I don't want a different car. The 323 is a perfectly capable platform. I'm tired of everyone giving it a bad rap. I love my 323.
323 master race ftw!

How long before the kit shows up and you install it?
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Patton323I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew@Swift Motorworks View Post
323 master race ftw!

How long before the kit shows up and you install it?
Lol! I was quoted 7-10 days to ship out. But once it does, it should be like 3 days. Fedex express international. Kit is coming from Norway lol.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
problem with the 323 though is it has inferior just about everything. electronics, abs/dsc unit, rear floor section (subframe), strut towers, manual gearbox, lighting, etc. 330 also has a largely forged bottom end and would make a much better beginning platform. It's just a lot of work to swap everything over. Either way i'm sure you will address everything and good luck!!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
Patton323I

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegel0919 View Post
what rims are those?
CSL Replicas:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...el-172lbs.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
problem with the 323 though is it has inferior just about everything. electronics, abs/dsc unit, rear floor section (subframe), strut towers, manual gearbox, lighting, etc. 330 also has a largely forged bottom end and would make a much better beginning platform. It's just a lot of work to swap everything over. Either way i'm sure you will address everything and good luck!!
I have already done the subframe foam procedure. I'm going to do the passenger side as well. And I'm waiting to get some new bushings before I install the TMS plates. As far as the ACS goes, I think it works just fine. It always steps in when it should (to soon in most cases) and it has never given me a problem. My electronics are solid as well. I never worry about driving that car any distance, at any time. I'm also not to concerned about the internals giving out. The car runs strong, and I always perform routine maintenance. I plan on getting some H-Beam rods and forged pistons eventually, probably buy another engine and build that. All in good time.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
Quote:
Lol! I was quoted 7-10 days to ship out. But once it does, it should be like 3 days. Fedex express international. Kit is coming from Norway lol.
Nice
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
CSL Replicas:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...el-172lbs.aspx

I have already done the subframe foam procedure. I'm going to do the passenger side as well. And I'm waiting to get some new bushings before I install the TMS plates. As far as the ACS goes, I think it works just fine. It always steps in when it should (to soon in most cases) and it has never given me a problem. My electronics are solid as well. I never worry about driving that car any distance, at any time. I'm also not to concerned about the internals giving out. The car runs strong, and I always perform routine maintenance. I plan on getting some H-Beam rods and forged pistons eventually, probably buy another engine and build that. All in good time.
It's not about the ABS working "just fine," it's just an added benefit/reason to having a later 330. That's all. The newer MK60 abs unit is more refined, smaller, and just a better design that implements a long, long list of added features and control. pretty awesome!

As far as subframe, I would do the plates especially with the added power. Even then with the weaker 323 floor, i'd be concerned that the failure point will just shift to the next weakest point outside the plates.

I know your car is maintained, but the early models just use older systems.

Just saying theres a lot of reasons to start with a 330 and supercharge that but moot since you've already made your choice.

What brakes are you going with?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
Patton323I

Quote:
What brakes are you going with?
BMW Performance!!!

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-323...OEM/ES2215444/
Old 08-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
the rears will still be undersized. also, you may want to consider 330 brakes. (to save money) that big brake kit is no bigger than the stock 330 brakes (rotor diameter wise)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
Patton323I

Quote:
the rears will still be undersized. also, you may want to consider 330 brakes. (to save money) that big brake kit is no bigger than the stock 330 brakes (rotor diameter wise)
Yeah that's the plan. bigger OME brakes will do just fine. I know my M3 had oodles of stopping power.