E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #61
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton323I View Post
Definitely going to do one. As well as a first drive!

Yeah, thought about that after the fact lol. Hopefully I will get many more starts out of her!
you can always do it from the bottom i guess. are you upgrading the clutch?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #62
THECLEANERBEAMER

My Ride: 2002 325i
really nice progress! you weren't lying about those HUGE pictures
Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #63
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
you can always do it from the bottom i guess. are you upgrading the clutch?
The clutch is already upgraded. UUC stage 2 M5 clutch, and an 8lb flywheel. I think it can handle the power, considering an E39 M5 pushes damn near 400 HP.

****EDIT****

Minor update. I got off the phone with ESS today. They said that the ECU is being shipped today. Its coming Fedex 2 day. So it should be here by Friday.

Last edited by Patton323I; 09-25-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Patton323I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #64
chris10492

My Ride: 14 Camaro 06 R1
I can't wait to see this bad boy haul ass! Just leave the 323i badge haha
chris10492 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #65
Patton323I

Update

The car will start tonight!

I'm going to leave the bumper off to make sure all the components are working properly. I will record a video of first start and include and overview. Stay tuned!!
Old 09-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #66
THECLEANERBEAMER

My Ride: 2002 325i
Look forward to tonight!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #67
NUTNDUN

My Ride: 2004 325i
Any update on this? Would really like to hear your thoughts on the way it runs.
NUTNDUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #68
Patton323I

Yeah, sorry. I got some issues I'm polishing out. at the moment.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #69
davidedwardse46

My Ride: 323i e46, 1988 535is
i cant wait to see how this going to turn out since this is the exact car i have 323i the foundation of the e46 haha like you i had a m3 but was totalled also when it was only 6 months old. i would upgrade to a 330ci but the cost of maintenance i have put in to my baby will only cause my wallet to cry to part with her. i have recently purchased a 2.8 that i plan on dropping in over the winter while my shop is slow. which i believe supercharged i will be able to beat up on the m3 out there in a 323i which will be worth the headache of getting it done congrats on a great car and sticking to your 323i besides all the critics out there.
davidedwardse46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #70
Patton323I

Just to give everyone an update. I'm waiting on a new MAF sensor. Mines throwing an error code specifically for the MAF and so Im holding off anything further until I get it. Should be by Friday. Also trying to get my stock air box back. I was told that it is the only configuration I should run. More when it comes!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #71
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Whats going on with this?

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #72
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
Op pls respond. This is too cool and we've been lingering for months!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #73
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowspoo View Post
Op pls respond. This is too cool and we've been lingering for months!
Yeah Patton where you at?!? Long live 323's!! (Well I hope it lives)
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | Brushed Aluminum Interior |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #74
Patton323I

Hey, sorry everyone. Just a lot going on lately. I will update shortly with the story. In the mean time. I have a video for everyone!

Last edited by Patton323I; 12-31-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #75
Patton323I

Its not that good. But a small sample.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #76
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
cant hear anything?
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | Brushed Aluminum Interior |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #77
Patton323I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdny516 View Post
cant hear anything?
Ill do another one tomorrow with a better camera mount and sound quality. Its dark out now.

**Edit**

Just as soon as it stops raining down here....

Last edited by Patton323I; 01-02-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #78
Patton323I

So why the long wait?

Sorry for making everyone wait. I was transitioning out of the military and trying to get my life situated. I had to track down a new job and also get enrolled into college.

Anyway... Shortly after I finished the install I ran into a brick wall of technical difficulty. The first HUGE problem: The gasket supplied by ESS Tuning was a thin paper gasket which immediately failed. (the gasket between the manifold and the head.) This caused a screeching whining sound and horrible running conditions. At first I couldn't pin the sound. A day went by, and with the help of a fellow local fanatic, we found and resolved the issue. I had to go to the auto parts store and buy a sheet of rubber compound paper gasket. Then trace and cut the new gasket.

After I resolved that issue, the MAF sensor failed. I ordered an OEM VDO sensor and installed that, more problems fixed.

Then after the MAF, I had a fuel flow problem. Mostly on initial start up and acceleration form a stop. I ran a fuel pressure test to confirm the fault. I diagnosed it as a faulty fuel pressure regulator. I ordered an OE M3 FPR From a guy on Ebay for $15 brand new in the packaging! I swapped it out and immediately noticed the difference. I have full power and snappy throttle response.

Now my only current fault is a bad throttle body. Apparently its a common problem on the 323's. I get a code for throttle position check sum error every so often. All the wires are hooked up correctly. I didn't even cut any TPS wires.

Future plans:
Eventually I am going to order an M3 fuel pump and larger diameter fuel lines with a fuel surge tank as well. I'm going to do some research on weather or not the M3 fuel rail will work with my setup or if the radium engineering rail would be a better option. I am also going to look into an oil catch can. And of course, I'm going to do an M3 LSD swap and a BBK.

End thoughts:
This isn't an easy project to undertake. Definitely not one to take on if you have little mechanical experience. I have been back and forth with ESS for a while trying to figure out technical issues. They have not been very helpful at all. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that this is an old kit for them. So I doubt that they are willing to invest to much more time into an old design. I don't fault them for that.

If you are willing to do this however... The end result its fantastic. Near normal driving when you don't need the power. And when you do want it... it is instant and savage. Easily every bit as fast as an M3 without the extra weight. The engine has roughly 1,500 miles on it with the supercharger and runs flawlessly. (except for the aforementioned faults.)

Anyways. Tomorrow I will take pictures of the final setup and record a good video of it driving around. The initial start up video is on some SD card somewhere. It didn't start in that video anyway. But again, sorry for the wait!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #79
Patton323I

First autocross of the season is this weekend. Ill have my GoPro with me for some good video. Stay tuned.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #80
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton323I View Post
Sorry for making everyone wait. I was transitioning out of the military and trying to get my life situated. I had to track down a new job and also get enrolled into college.

Anyway... Shortly after I finished the install I ran into a brick wall of technical difficulty. The first HUGE problem: The gasket supplied by ESS Tuning was a thin paper gasket which immediately failed. (the gasket between the manifold and the head.) This caused a screeching whining sound and horrible running conditions. At first I couldn't pin the sound. A day went by, and with the help of a fellow local fanatic, we found and resolved the issue. I had to go to the auto parts store and buy a sheet of rubber compound paper gasket. Then trace and cut the new gasket.

After I resolved that issue, the MAF sensor failed. I ordered an OEM VDO sensor and installed that, more problems fixed.

Then after the MAF, I had a fuel flow problem. Mostly on initial start up and acceleration form a stop. I ran a fuel pressure test to confirm the fault. I diagnosed it as a faulty fuel pressure regulator. I ordered an OE M3 FPR From a guy on Ebay for $15 brand new in the packaging! I swapped it out and immediately noticed the difference. I have full power and snappy throttle response.

Now my only current fault is a bad throttle body. Apparently its a common problem on the 323's. I get a code for throttle position check sum error every so often. All the wires are hooked up correctly. I didn't even cut any TPS wires.

Future plans:
Eventually I am going to order an M3 fuel pump and larger diameter fuel lines with a fuel surge tank as well. I'm going to do some research on weather or not the M3 fuel rail will work with my setup or if the radium engineering rail would be a better option. I am also going to look into an oil catch can. And of course, I'm going to do an M3 LSD swap and a BBK.

End thoughts:
This isn't an easy project to undertake. Definitely not one to take on if you have little mechanical experience. I have been back and forth with ESS for a while trying to figure out technical issues. They have not been very helpful at all. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that this is an old kit for them. So I doubt that they are willing to invest to much more time into an old design. I don't fault them for that.

If you are willing to do this however... The end result its fantastic. Near normal driving when you don't need the power. And when you do want it... it is instant and savage. Easily every bit as fast as an M3 without the extra weight. The engine has roughly 1,500 miles on it with the supercharger and runs flawlessly. (except for the aforementioned faults.)

Anyways. Tomorrow I will take pictures of the final setup and record a good video of it driving around. The initial start up video is on some SD card somewhere. It didn't start in that video anyway. But again, sorry for the wait!
Awesome and congrats.

However I will say that this "extra weight" you speak of is present on the M3s for a reason. more power comes more responsibility. We can get into it if you'd like but i'd just be careful with the added power. =)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote