E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
DMahoney

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Serious steering issue - Help!

So I think I have a serious staring problem. I can't find the exact answer to my question in a thread. I can only find different answers for each of the symptoms, but not my exact problem. Unless I have multiple problems; Which is very possible. But somebody please help me.

I will be getting a steering and suspension checked out soon but I thought it wouldn't help to ask my fellow fanatics.

Here are my symptoms :

First of all I have recently done a few new things to my car. About six months ago I had for steering and suspension check up and my rear shocks were gone. I replaced them Along with the mounts. Everything else looked good. Since then, I purchased an upgraded to new 18 inch Beyern Mesh. After a couple weeks I went to get an alignment at that speed shop and they told me my tie rods were frozen and my rear camber bolts were corroded and frozen into place. "Supposedly".

I wasn't working at the time because I was laid off so I didn't really have much money to play with.

I got free Akebono brake pads and Zimmermann rotors from my new job and my buddy installed them in all four sides for $50 so I just did that.

Now, I have recently been getting steering wheel jerk. Rather intense at times. I thought it only happens every time I hit the brake; So I figured it was a caliber. However, I am now noticing that it happens when I either break hard or very easy over a bump. Sometimes the steering well jerks in the same manner when I don't even hit the brake at all.

I know I need to get it checked out. I am waiting for my new schedule to come out so I can figure out a day off to do it. But I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction of what could be wrong. I know multiple things could be wrong but I was hoping someone could guide me in the right direction so I don't look stupid in front of whoever checks it. Or maybe someone would be kind enough to tell me how to check something in particular.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DMahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
It's the control arm bushings.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
DMahoney

Like 100%? I know I could search it, but im too lazy right now lol; how would a "Beginner" check?

Old 08-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
by hitting the brakes and seeing if the wheel jerks. or by looking at it using your eyes.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
DMahoney

Pretty serious issue if not fixed soon? CAB would cause it to turn so badly & intense ,

Old 08-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
DMahoney

It only really does it over a bump, pothole or some part f the road that isn't "flat" . Not very often does it do it when I'm just driving straight on a newly paved road

Old 08-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Minnoe07

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
Classic case of control arm bushings and possibly ball joints within the control arms themselves.

2004 330Ci 6 Speed; UUC Sway Bars; Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's; KW V2 Coilovers; 3.38 OS Giken LSD
Z4 Finned Diff Cover; Headers; M-Tech II Rear Bumper and CF Diffusor; CF Trunk; CSL Front Bumper
M3 CF Hood; DICE I-Pod Kit; JTD Rear Shock Mounts; UUC Front Strut Bar; O2 Simulators
ESS TS2 Twin Screw Supercharger

Minnoe07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
DMahoney

Front or rear?

Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Minnoe07

Fronts only.

2004 330Ci 6 Speed; UUC Sway Bars; Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's; KW V2 Coilovers; 3.38 OS Giken LSD
Z4 Finned Diff Cover; Headers; M-Tech II Rear Bumper and CF Diffusor; CF Trunk; CSL Front Bumper
M3 CF Hood; DICE I-Pod Kit; JTD Rear Shock Mounts; UUC Front Strut Bar; O2 Simulators

Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
joe77

My Ride: 00323i
I just did coilovers and I have the same problem,my car pulls hard to the right when I brake or hit bumps.I am going to change the FCAB and that should fix it.
joe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
Minnoe07

Replacing your fcabs may fix the situation for the immediate future but usually if your fcabs are worn, your ball joints are right behind them.

Might as well replace both while you are under there.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #12
DMahoney

I have a really small squeak in the rear now over bumps at a low fixed speed. I replaced shocks 6 months ago w the mounts .. Does this sound like bushings?

Old 10-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMahoney View Post
I have a really small squeak in the rear now over bumps at a low fixed speed. I replaced shocks 6 months ago w the mounts .. Does this sound like bushings?

Just check your subframe...if that's okay, I wouldn't worry about a squeak too much...

Could be your e-brake...you'll hear a squeak when you sit in the car often because of that...go figure! Use the e-brake when you're moving 20 mph for a little...clean it off...read your manual!

hth

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
DMahoney

True I know that. But I don't have an e brake cable is snapped. And I never had a reason to really fix it aide I never used it in 6 years of owning it lol.. I have other things to repair before it. I do have new brakes& rotors though.

I tried spraying lubricant on everything I could physically see without a lift. I have to get a check obviously but I can't for a few weeks. Was jw

Old 10-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
ajai

My Ride: 330ci***65104; 328i
I will check the easy and free thing first. Tire pressure..
if just one tire is out from the other, it will jerk.
Second, did you end up successfully did a alignment? if not, then that's answer all of us.
if a car have high negative camber , jerk to one side at stop or brake is normal..
Since no road is flat , the road must be a bit tilt to one side to get the rain out..

missed the ci, welcome the i
ajai is offline   Reply With Quote