E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
TurboShark

My Ride: 1985 635CSi
The Big Coupe Turbo Build

I was told that the e46 guys would appreciate my turbo build by my old roommate who lives on this site, so here it goes.

I'm Paul, a 21 year old college kid that has been building rock crawlers for the past 3 years. I sold my pride and joy after building it for three years looking for something new to build. I happened to be friends with a buddy who has an amazingly clean E28. I always loved his car and the lines on the older BMW's. I wanted something that wasn't seen on the road often. I decided on an E24, and started scouring craigslist.

I picked up an 1985 635CSi with 112k on the clock. Odometer still worked, dash has one small crack in it. Most of the 24's are autos, and I wouldn't settle for that, and I ended up finding a 5 speed. Very clean interior. Outside is ok. Paint is in bad condition, especially on the top of the car. It has been resprayed, and the one thing to cheap out on is clear coat, AMIRITE?

Anyways, I fell in love with the car. Handles great even with stock suspension. It's pretty fast for me, but the fastest automobile I have owned was my 04 quad cab 5.7 hemi Dodge Ram, so that doesn't say much. I always have wanted to go fast, so that's why I picked this thing up. After only a week of driving it, I decided to tear it down for a turbo.

I started in August 2010 building a 1987 Suzuki Samurai. I ended up building it longer than I ever actually got to wheel it, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of learning fabrication and building it. I taught myself how to weld and fabricate. I linked the front and rear suspension, built an entire cage, engine swapped it, stretched it 6" in the front, 12" in the rear, and a lot more. I learned a lot. I picked up another project about 4 months ago, a 1987 4Runner that I solid axle swapped, put on 35s, and other small things. Here's a few pics of the rigs for those that care:

On to the E24..

Towing it home

Even has the dealership option radar detector. Doesn't work, but looks awesome!

Owner replaced the "comfort" seats with the E24 sport seats. I'm going to end up dying them to match the rest of the interior.

Build Plans:

H1C turbo (Same as HX35 but larger exhaust housing)
30lb Bosch injectors
TCD timing chip
BEGi FMU
eBay 38mm wastegate
Tial 50mm BOV
Flipped manifolds
eBay intercooler

Ground Control suspension (they are only about 20 minutes from me)
BBS Style 5's

So far this is where I am..

Welded up the internal wastegate on the H1C

And started on a VERY crude beginning to a manifold

Like I said in the title, this is my first car (besides my '70 VW Baja Bug) and my first turbo build. I barely knew anything about turbo systems before I purchased the BMW so I have been doing a lot of research on forums about stuff, but I definitely am still a novice on this stuff so if there is anything I need to know, or any constructive criticism please let me know._a_
TurboShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
M3 2 NV

My Ride: 2001 M3
Cool Samurai. It must have been fun to play with. Good luck on your new build

M3 2 NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Dope first post! Welcome to the forum!

"We've come a long long way together, through the hard times and the good. I have to celebrate you baby, I have to praise you like I should...
I have to praise you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Holy welcome. I will be following this thread fo shoooooooooo
Old 08-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
Cool toys, you will love the bmw
Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
nardog

My Ride: e34, totaled e46
welcome
Old 08-29-2013, 04:25 AM   #7
Soorena

My Ride: S1000RR
Good stuff. I'm curious, why you went with the TCD chip and not WAR chip? Not trying to say that the TCD is bad, i just don't know anything about it.
Soorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:17 AM   #8
Properstyle

My Ride: 2002 SMG M3
This will be interesting
Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
TurboShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
Good stuff. I'm curious, why you went with the TCD chip and not WAR chip? Not trying to say that the TCD is bad, i just don't know anything about it.
To be honest I didn't know anything about Miller when I ordered my TCD stuff. I will most likely end up returning the 059 timing chip and ordering Miller's WAR/MAF combo. The remote tuning that Miller can do for you is badass as well.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I got the manifold done today besides the wastegate ports, still thinking on best way to get it done. Got my BEGi FMU and 30# injectors in today as well. No more using the waiting on parts excuse, time to get it done! I'll throw some pics up of stuff in a bit.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
TurboShark

So far what the manifold looks like. Pretty much done just have to fully weld everything.

Also got the injectors installed, and started sorting out the piping for the intercooler.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
TurboShark

Small update. Got the BEGi installed and mounted. Valve cover back on, wastegate bolted up. Intercooler is halfway mounted. I also started on the not fun process of taking the pan off. I got the oil filter housing off today as well. I'm hoping to be done with everything and can take it to the exhaust shop within the next week or so. I'll keep it updated.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
TurboShark

Update time, got a lot done in the past week.

First time working on a BMW, and an M30 for that matter. Holy **** it was such a pain in the ass to get the pan off. But I did and got my 12AN return bung tig'd on by a buddy. Also got the oil filter housing tapped for the feed line.

Opened up the DME and put in the timing chip from TCD

Biggest thing was I got the entire exhaust done by a guy my buddy knows. He hooked it up and did a great job. Entire downpipe is all mandrel bent. 2.5" all the way back, no cats, and a single Magnaflow glasspack type muffler. It's going to be loouuuddd

Also got the hardest part of the intercooler plumbing done. Had to figure out the puzzle of mounting the AFM, and not getting in the way of where the wastegate is going. Was tricky but it's done.

I made the mounting plate for the intercooler, so just have to weld supports to the bumper for it. Getting my new Tial wastegate tomorrow (fleabay wastegate ended up not being what I needed). Oil lines are done, getting the v band flange tig'd on to one of the intercooler pipes tomorrow for the blow off valve. I should be driving it by the weekend if everything goes right.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
BobbyC

My Ride: 2000 328I
Awesome project. You deff have the skills. Would like you to reconsider the return bung. Having it facing down like that....I would not do that. It could cause drain back problems. I would have spaced it out and up at like a 30 degree angle. Hopefully you won't cook the turbo.
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
TurboShark

In hindsight I would have done that, but the oil pan is back in and the bung is tig'd on, I'm not going back unless the turbo blows up. There are multiple people that tig/drill & tap a bung into the pan at that angle and position so I'm not too worried about it.

I got the intercooler mounted and all the piping done. Battery riser is made, downpipe heat wrapped. Everything on the car is finished except I haven't figured out how to run a filter on the front of the turbo, but I will get to that. Currently I'm trying to tune the rising rate fuel pressure regulator, which is kind of a bitch. I'll post some pictures soon.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
Should be ok considering the height of where the turbo is mounted. But as per BobbyC, would have been better.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #16
TurboShark

Yeah, definitely would have been better. Like I said, this is my first ever FI build, and pretty much my first ever time dealing with an engine. I've done engine swaps but they are always plug and play. If the oil return isn't draining like it should I'll fork out the money to get a 45 degree return fitting and fit everything else nicely. But until then I'll save my money. I resigned from my grocery store (dead-end) job to build cars with a friend of mine. Custom suspension, interior work, and flip them. Should be fun, hopefully we make money.

I've been having problems getting this ****er to even idle. Installed a wideband AFR and when it decides to idle it's at like 20+ AFR. SOOOPER lean. I'm trying to adjust the stock Air Flow Meter but not much is happening, there is something else causing the problem that I haven't found yet, but I will. In due time.... I'm ****in frustrated with this damn thing. I will fabricate all day and be happy but I can't deal with this FI/engine stuff.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
TurboShark

Well it's driving! Damn this thing is fun. It's pretty damn quick but to be honest I like hearing the turbo whistle more . I fell into some problems like the turbo I got from the junkyard had bad seals so I was burning oil like crazy, and other small things. But I have it driving now which I'm stoked on! Everything is pretty good so far. It spools up pretty quick, I'm loving cruising in it again.

Also mounted my boost gauge and AFM where the ashtray used to be

Turned out pretty good.

Anyway, I have been dying to lower it so I ordered some JDM coilover sleeves to start on the DIY coilover project. Going to make a skidplate first to keep me from bashing the oil pan in but after that it's AWN!
Old 10-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
zurus

My Ride: .
Congrats man!
zurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #19
BMW E465

My Ride: 1dirty5
Well done. Any vids?
BMW E465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #20
TurboShark

Not yet! Going to try to get an in cab and flyby video of it soon. I'll keep ya guys updated.