E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #21
hanna

My Ride: BMW 328i
Good buy for shocks and struts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
lol no. stock struts/shocks do not affect ride height in the slightest.
I probably phrased it wrong then, but the clearance between the fender and tire is increased . The gap that is about an inch wider with these struts and their rods are longer compared to stock Sachs, it's easy to put coil springs on them actually, because the center rods are so high. Not sure if its called ride height or not.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:38 AM   #22
northbranchroad

My Ride: 2002 325i bmw

Ordered, definitely excited to finally have a proper setup. I don't care to lower my 325i, I will just invest in a quality coil over when I get an m3 down the road. As for now I just want to bring my car close back to stock or a little better.

northbranchroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #23
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna View Post
I probably phrased it wrong then, but the clearance between the fender and tire is increased . The gap that is about an inch wider with these struts and their rods are longer compared to stock Sachs, it's easy to put coil springs on them actually, because the center rods are so high. Not sure if its called ride height or not.
nah, these will not raise the car. the springs support the car and it's weight for the most part.

these are however longer travel in the piston rod for a tall spring. personally i wouldn't go this route.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #24
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Bilstein Sport Shocks w/ H&R Sport Springs isn't a bad combo. I recently put this on my ZHP and an quite happy.
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #25
hanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
nah, these will not raise the car. the springs support the car and it's weight for the most part.

these are however longer travel in the piston rod for a tall spring. personally i wouldn't go this route.
Alex, I have this exact kit with my old non sport springs. Compared to the old stock non sport struts the front end sits higher 0.5"-0.7". I'm speaking from personal experience. Everything is installed correctly with the help of a friend (professional mechanic ).
So same springs, different struts, raised front.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #26
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
That's probably due to worn out old struts and weak/old springs. I would imagine that it has simply raised the car slightly closer to original ride height. Also .5" is kinda hard to measure accurately
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #27
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Alex, I have this exact kit with my old non sport springs. Compared to the old stock non sport struts the front end sits higher 0.5"-0.7". I'm speaking from personal experience. Everything is installed correctly with the help of a friend (professional mechanic ).
So same springs, different struts, raised front.

so now it's half an inch? you said an inch before. make up your mind

keep in mind you can easily (relative to the car's weight) push down a brand new strut using your bare hands. what do you think the weight of the car does to it? stock replacement struts do not affect ride height.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 08-29-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #28
-fixture-

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
Bilstein Sport Shocks w/ H&R Sport Springs isn't a bad combo. I recently put this on my ZHP and an quite happy.

I have the Bilstein HD shocks and H&R race springs on my E36 4dr , VERY tight. It would wake my baby up when I hit any bump in the road. I liked it, but not my 1 year old. lol

Im going with what Whammy has on my E46 vert.
-fixture- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #29
hanna

Quote:
so now it's half an inch? you said an inch before. make up your mind

keep in mind you can easily (relative to the car's weight) push down a brand new strut using your bare hands. what do you think the weight of the car does to it? stock replacement struts do not affect ride height.
They are not stock replacement struts, stock replacement struts are Sachs, these are Bilstine Touring, their piston rods are longer compared to stock Sachs. And these struts do affect ride height. How much? Between half inch to an inch. They were installed awhile ago, so do not remember for sure. I like them, huge difference.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #30
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
They are not stock replacement struts, stock replacement struts are Sachs, these are Bilstine Touring, their piston rods are longer compared to stock Sachs. And these struts do affect ride height. How much? Between half inch to an inch. They were installed awhile ago, so do not remember for sure. I like them, huge difference.

by stock replacement, i mean stock design (i.e., not mono-tube high-pressure) you obviously don't know what you are talking about. you either measured wrong, measured when the car was dropped down, or just plain are mistaken.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #31
hanna

Quote:
by stock replacement, i mean stock design (i.e., not mono-tube high-pressure) you obviously don't know what you are talking about. you either measured wrong, measured when the car was dropped down, or just plain are mistaken.
Then I'm not the only one who is wrong. There are posts by other members confirming the same thing. Do not have time to search for them right now.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #32
hanna

Here you go, this person is also wrong and does not know what he is talking about or may be just mistaken or bad with a measuring tape:

2000 323i, I replaced my OEM struts with the Bilstein "OEM equivalent" struts. Now the front end sits about 1/2" higher than it used to. It is visible and obvious, at least to me. Everything is installed correctly, and springs are properly positioned on the perches.

I took a new Bilstein same as what is on my car to the dealer to compare it to the factory unit. Dimensionally it appears the same. Differences are that the shoulder on the lower end that seats inside the knuckle is not as sharply defined, but it appears to be in the right place. And, the rod on the Bilstein runs all the way out by itself, whereas on the OE unit, it does not. So when the the two are side by side, the rod is fully extended on the Bilstein, and on the OE is is not sticking out as far, maybe 1.5" less. I think the OE struts are not gas charged.

Anybody else run across this when installing aftermarket struts? I don't like the look at all. I've had them on the car for 25K miles, and they still sit high.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #33
hanna

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...5#post15050445

Old 08-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #34
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Then I'm not the only one who is wrong. There are posts by other members confirming the same thing. Do not have time to search for them right now.
Quote:
Here you go, this person is also wrong and does not know what he is talking about or may be just mistaken or bad with a measuring tape:

2000 323i, I replaced my OEM struts with the Bilstein "OEM equivalent" struts. Now the front end sits about 1/2" higher than it used to. It is visible and obvious, at least to me. Everything is installed correctly, and springs are properly positioned on the perches.

I took a new Bilstein same as what is on my car to the dealer to compare it to the factory unit. Dimensionally it appears the same. Differences are that the shoulder on the lower end that seats inside the knuckle is not as sharply defined, but it appears to be in the right place. And, the rod on the Bilstein runs all the way out by itself, whereas on the OE unit, it does not. So when the the two are side by side, the rod is fully extended on the Bilstein, and on the OE is is not sticking out as far, maybe 1.5" less. I think the OE struts are not gas charged.

Anybody else run across this when installing aftermarket struts? I don't like the look at all. I've had them on the car for 25K miles, and they still sit high.

Quote:
You are absolutely wrong. You take your car to a mechanic. Not sure why you feel you're qualified to have an opinion on anything technical.

If we are talking high-pressure units, then maybe you have a point--and it would only be a coincidence as you clearly do not possess basic car knowledge.

But my statement stands: stock struts/shocks do not affect ride height. This goes for stock replacements that possess the same or similar internal design.

This is extremely common knowledge. Springs support the vehicle's weight. Struts/shocks do not. Once struts/shocks are at their static position, they are design to control spring/wheel oscillation.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/s...rber_myths.cfm

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #35
Mango
A full five stars, son

And by the way, half of the people on this forum install junk on their cars. I'd take any opinion or assessments you may have heard that goes against basic and common knowledge with a grain of salt.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #36
hanna

Now listen very carefully. Because I will be 100% clear here. You are absolutely, positively wrong in this particular debate. We are discussing Bilstein Touring struts and front height of the ride. These struts make the front higher. Period. I have them. That's how I know. Other people have them and know this.

How idiotically stubborn one must be to deny a fact!!

I'm not talking about struts, springs and other suspension components in general. I'm talking about these specific struts.

Your are ignorant as hell. Get the hell out of here now.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #37
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Now listen very carefully. Because I will be 100% clear here. You are absolutely, positively wrong in this particular debate. We are discussing Bilstein Touring struts and front height of the ride. These struts make the front higher. Period. I have them. That's how I know. Other people have them and know this.

How idiotically stubborn one must be to deny a fact!!

I'm not talking about struts, springs and other suspension components in general. I'm talking about these specific struts.

Your are ignorant as hell. Get the hell out of here now.

lol

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #38
hanna

Quote:
lol
Btw:-) did I tell you to get out of here? I was just kidding :-) I'm not getting you off the hook that easy :-)
I will embarrass you one more time. In this thread (I totally forgot about it, LOL), the guy named MarkT mentions the raised front height after installing Bilstein Touring. Link:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=934509

He must also be technically incompetent just like all those people who install junk on their cars and do not know what they are talking about.

And another review from bimmerforums:
By member "520 driver"

"Front end ride height too high.

I have been steadily trying to get all the mechanicals fixed before I make a determination on ride height. Just about everything is new in the suspension over the last two years. I think the only parts that I didn't change are the rear trailing arm bushings and I don't think they will cause any change in ride height. They look okay. I may change them and correct camber but it's the last thing I do.
I went to Bilstein Touring Struts for a comfortable daily driver. The gas charged struts lift about 75 lbs at each corner they typically raise the ride height using the same spring. I have experienced this before but it was good because the car sat too low.
It appears that the rear is sitting too low. A couple of mechanics said so but I figured I would change the rear sub frame bushing first. But it is not the rear, it is the front.
Bently Manual says 20.5" from the bottom lip of the rim to the fender. The rears are 21" which is fine with me. The front height measures 23.5". I would like it to match the rear at 21". I did not change the front springs, they are stock. I did not note the ride height before the strut/shock change so I can't compare but since the rear seems to sit so low I did change the rear springs (with HD) but the ride height was the same for both springs. I added a hundred pounds of audio gear back there anyway.
How do I correct ride height when I used the stock spring? I can't imagine going back to BMW and asking for a spring to correct the ride height, especially when using a "aftermarket" shock. It seems the only answer is to cut the springs. If I buy a lowering spring I am concerned that I will have to cut them too and the spring rates are good as-is. Any idea how much to cut off a coil to lose 2.5"?"

Last edited by hanna; 08-29-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #39
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Bilstein dampers are gas charged at an extremely high pressure. I have heard of people running Bilstein sport dampers and experiencing a raised ride height for as long as 25,000 in some extreme cases. Probably correlates to RSMs failing faster when installed with Bilstein dampers as well. Otherwise, dampers have absolutely 0 influence on the ride height of a given vehicle. All quality dampers are designed to the same standards and to keep the car within factory spec.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

Last edited by tock172; 08-29-2013 at 11:05 PM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #40
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
I have been steadily trying to get all the mechanicals fixed before I make a determination on ride height. Just about everything is new in the suspension over the last two years. I think the only parts that I didn’t change are the rear trailing arm bushings and I don’t think they will cause any change in ride height. They look okay. I may change them and correct camber but it’s the last thing I do.
I went to Bilstein Touring Struts for a comfortable daily driver. The gas charged struts lift about 75 lbs at each corner they typically raise the ride height using the same spring. I have experienced this before but it was good because the car sat too low.
It appears that the rear is sitting too low. A couple of mechanics said so but I figured I would change the rear sub frame bushing first. But it is not the rear, it is the front.
Bently Manual says 20.5” from the bottom lip of the rim to the fender. The rears are 21” which is fine with me. The front height measures 23.5”. I would like it to match the rear at 21”. I did not change the front springs, they are stock. I did not note the ride height before the strut/shock change so I can’t compare but since the rear seems to sit so low I did change the rear springs (with HD) but the ride height was the same for both springs. I added a hundred pounds of audio gear back there anyway.
How do I correct ride height when I used the stock spring? I can’t imagine going back to BMW and asking for a spring to correct the ride height, especially when using a “aftermarket” shock. It seems the only answer is to cut the springs. If I buy a lowering spring I am concerned that I will have to cut them too and the spring rates are good as-is. Any idea how much to cut off a coil to lose 2.5”?"
well there are only really two ways i can see for the strut causing the front to be higher(when no other parts changed).
1) the spring perch on the Bilstein Tourings are higher up on the strut, thus raising the spring.
2) the bottom lip where the strut housing sits is lower. thus the overall strut housing sits up higher since it bottoms out in the knuckle earlier.

these are possible, but Bilstein would be a brand i would not expect any variance in specs.
now a possible way it sits higher (Bilstein not the reason) is if the spring isn't resting correctly. and/or the rear sits lower now, this would cause the front to go up. one could buy the thicker spring pads for the rear or stack thicker ones on. this would raise the rear and the front would come down from "porpoising".