E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
No republicans?

Apparently every notable US republican was too busy (or too sick) to attend the 50th anniversary celebration of the March on Washington.

Quote:
Republicans absent from March on Washington

By Ed O’Keefe, Updated: Wednesday, August 28, 6:48 PM

Not a single Republican elected official stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial on Wednesday with activists, actors, lawmakers and former presidents invited to mark the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington — a notable absence for a party seeking to attract the support of minority voters.

Event organizers said Wednesday that they invited top Republicans, all of whom declined to attend because of scheduling conflicts or ill health.

But aides to some GOP congressional leaders said they received formal invitations only in recent weeks, making it too late to alter their summer recess schedules.

The Rev. Leah D. Daughtry of the House of the Lord Church in the District, who served as executive producer of the commemoration, said the organizing committee began sending invitations to top leaders of both parties “on a rolling basis probably four or five weeks ago.”

“We had a very concerted effort, because this is not a political moment, this was about us coming together as a community, so we wanted to be sure that we had all political representations,” Daughtry said. “We attempted very vigorously to have someone from the GOP participate and unfortunately they were unable to find someone who was able to participate.”

King’s eldest son, Martin Luther King III, said Wednesday that he was disappointed “that we didn’t have bipartisanship.” He noted that his mother, Coretta Scott King, had maintained relationships with all the living former presidents. “It would have been great” to see, King said, “that around the banner of Martin Luther King everyone could come together, because Dad represented the interest of all who were mistreated.”

Former presidents George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush did not attend the event for health reasons, family representatives said. Former Florida governor Jeb Bush also declined an invitation, Daughtry said.

George W. Bush, who is recovering from a recent heart procedure, issued a statement hailing President Obama’s appearance near the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. “There on the National Mall our President, whose story reflects the promise of America, will help us honor the man who inspired millions to redeem that promise,” Bush said.

The absence of any top Republicans came two weeks after national GOP leaders used their annual summer meeting to begin a program to attract minority voters by highlighting the careers of younger “rising stars,” including minority state legislators from Oklahoma and New Hampshire. After a dismal showing among minorities in the 2012 election, many Republican leaders have said the party must do better amid rapidly changing demographics.

Michael Steele, the first black Republican lieutenant governor of Maryland and a former Republican National Committee chairman, said event organizers told him that they were having difficulty attracting Republican speakers. He faulted GOP leaders for not making time to attend.

“It’s part of a continuing narrative that the party finds itself in with these big deals for minority communities around the country and how they perceive our response to them,” he said.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
I shouldn't even be entertaining your retarded post, but the only black senator in the United States wasn't invited

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sen.-t...rticle/2534830

Why can't you post a fcking link you tard?

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I shouldn't even be entertaining your retarded post, but the only black senator in the United States wasn't invited

Never heard of him.

Where were all the ranking republicans that were invited?

Here's a link: www.gofkyourselfdouche.com

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:

Simple political play. Invite them too late for them to be able to attend, then sit back and wait for everyone to blame them for not attending.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Invitations started going out four or five weeks ago? I'd have a hard time making a full-day commitment within that timetable. I'm sure most politicians have busier schedules than I do.

Of course, if I had been invited to this I would have done whatever I could to make it.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Simple political play. Invite them too late for them to be able to attend, then sit back and wait for everyone to blame them for not attending.
yup, and Lair doesn't even know who Tim Scott is. What a dunce.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
If King was alive today, he would be disgusted with society.
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 08-28-2013 at 11:36 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
and not for the reasons you might think.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
yup, and Lair doesn't even know who Tim Scott is. What a dunce.
I know who he is - he's a nobody.

Not a single ranking ranking republican could make it because 5 weeks notice isn't enough time? Not even ONE could squeeze it in?

Seems legit.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
The first black GOP senator from the south, and the ONLY black US Senator, is a nobody?

Also, who gives a crap about this anyway? Half of it was pro DNC speeches and the other half was "it's still legal to hunt down and kill black people" race baiting. None of those people are going to change their minds and suddenly not vote Democrat because someone appeared there. Be realistic, Lyndon B. Johnson made sure that black people would vote democrat for "200 years".

Last edited by Act of God; 08-29-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
No republicans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post

Not a single ranking ranking republican could make it because 5 weeks notice isn't enough time? Not even ONE could squeeze it in?

Seems legit.
It's taken us five months to get two hours of the SecDef's time, and then it got canceled last minute.

Getting on someone's schedule in this town is hard, let alone getting them to commit to an entire day.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Re: No republicans?

The fact that lair hasn't killed himself proves, without a doubt, that the world does indeed need ditch diggers.

Sent from my Obamaphone
Old 08-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
badfast

My Ride: A Car
It seems like this event has been 50 years in the making. Seems like sufficient time for planning
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
Yeah, well the really tall republican in the back freed the slaves so...there.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
Well sh!t that makes the excuses the actions of the current republican bunch and the future generations.

"We freed you, so we can treat you any way we like."
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #16
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
The fact that lair hasn't killed himself proves, without a doubt, that the world does indeed need ditch diggers.

Sent from my Obamaphone
When all else fails - launch a personal attack.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
It seems like this event has been 50 years in the making. Seems like sufficient time for planning
How could they have known this was coming?

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post

To insinuate that the Republican party of current is anything like the Republican party of Lincoln's time is hilarious. The same goes for the Democrats, too.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #19
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
I hope you guys know that was sarcasm.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Invitations started going out four or five weeks ago? I'd have a hard time making a full-day commitment within that timetable. I'm sure most politicians have busier schedules than I do.

Of course, if I had been invited to this I would have done whatever I could to make it.
They started going out "on a rolling basis" 4 or 5 weeks ago.

I take that to mean they had an A list they mailed to, gave a certain cut off for RSVP, then roll over to the B list, gave a certain cut off and so on. So some of them likely only got 1 week notice.

And the only one with an overall view of who was attending was likely the event coordinator.

If they truly wanted bipartisan representation, someone in charge of the guest/speaker list would have picked up the phone and called the RNC and said "hey dude, just FYI, you've got nobody attending this deal".

Politics and sausage.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is online now   Reply With Quote