E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
Valentino5

My Ride: 330i (2001)
Best headlights' style/quality for a 2001 BMW 330i facelift?

I'm looking to give my 2001 330i a facelift. The only thing is I was trying to figure what would be the best choice. I'm looking forward in purchasing a pair of headlights with a silver/chrome base. Anyone has some suggestions of stylish designs or high quality pieces to recommend?

Does anyone know what is the difference between Halogen, Xenon, BiXenon, and Adaptive Xenon headlights?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Valentino5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
GDubois

My Ride: is slow
Just get some new OE lenses and call it a day. If you want to retrofit xenons, the proper route would be full OE. When it comes to headlights I wouldn't mess around with any aftermarket stuff.

Congratulations.
GDubois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino5 View Post
I'm looking to give my 2001 330i a facelift. The only thing is I was trying to figure what would be the best choice. I'm looking forward in purchasing a pair of headlights with a silver/chrome base. Anyone has some suggestions of stylish designs or high quality pieces to recommend?

Does anyone know what is the difference between Halogen, Xenon, BiXenon, and Adaptive Xenon headlights?

Halogen: Non-projector style, standard, run-of-the-mill headlights

Xenon: Projector style, brighter, crisp beam cutoff. Slight blue tint. High beams are separate halogen lights. Require expensive xenon bulbs. More complicated system that involves an ignitor and ballast. Last much longer than halogen bulbs, but tend to "color-shift" to 4800K throughout their life. Generally not a bad thing, as 4800K is a good color temperature to be at.

Bi-xenon: Same as Xenon, but high beams are built into the xenon housing. Upon brights activation, the internal cutoff flap slides down to allow full light exposure. In this way, xenons are technically always running a "high beam," and a simple flap controls the light cutoff level.

Adaptive Xenon: Same as Bi-xenon, but headlights turn with the steering wheel to help light curves more effectively. The degree to which they turn is based upon an algorithm that takes into account speed, steering angle, and if the car is in reverse.

My personal recommendation is to find a pair of used OE BMW headlights. I do not recommend going aftermarket in this case, as people here have had many mixed results, mostly bad. If you do want to try something different, you can get the OE brand of other vehicles and retrofit them into the existing housing. Just be sure to aim them properly. That is the biggest key.

Last edited by Zell; 08-30-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:

Solidjake has a write up

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=925497

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
A lot of money to facelift a car. I would just sell your car and get one with projector lighting already.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Valentino5

Re: Best headlights' style/quality for a 2001 BMW 330i facelift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
A lot of money to facelift a car. I would just sell your car and get one with projector lighting already.
I don't really like any model after e46, but the new 2014 3 series body. And that is clearly out of the money range. I'm also looking to spend about $10,000 to make this car more unique to my liking.

Last edited by Valentino5; 08-30-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Valentino5

Which OE brand headlights retrofit for a 2001 330i the easiest, if any?

Old 08-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Woes excellence

My Ride: 2001 325i
I went w some retrofits w built in halos which utilizes factors bulbs, used ncs expert to turn off dlr's, and wired the halos to come on w ign and I love the look...and they were relatively inexpensive...under $200.

Search seller. Topline_autopart. On eBay...where I got mine.

Last edited by Woes excellence; 08-30-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Woes excellence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
If you are doing a full facelift then get OEM projector headlights off a facelift car.

If not get halogen headlights and click projector retrofit in my sig
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Valentino5

So basically I realized my 2001 330i has Xeon projector lights (as seen in the pic). But the original owner for some reason put two different colors, maybe a 6,000 bulb and a 5,0000 bulb.

Now what should I do now? Should I buy New bulbs only to plug and play or a whole unit with the ballast? How much does the cost range from?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1380387735027.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	528617  
Old 09-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
therealet23

My Ride: BMW M3
Quote:
So basically I realized my 2001 330i has Xeon projector lights (as seen in the pic). But the original owner for some reason put two different colors, maybe a 6,000 bulb and a 5,0000 bulb.

Now what should I do now? Should I buy New bulbs only to plug and play or a whole unit with the ballast? How much does the cost range from?

I would definitely start by getting new d2s bulbs.
therealet23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
Valentino5

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealet23 View Post
I would definitely start by getting new d2s bulbs.
What is the different between d2s and d2r? By a untrained eye like myself they look as if they could fit in the same fixture

Last edited by Valentino5; 09-30-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
therealet23

My Ride: BMW M3
Quote:
What is the different between d2s and d2r? By a untrained eye like myself they look as if they could fit in the same fixture

D2S is come standard in your car. Get that or a D2C bulb. They will have the correct notches in the right place to fit your projector.

D2R will have a glare shield over the bulb which you don't need and the notches will be in the wrong place.

This bottom picture is a D2R bulb with the glare shield.

Last edited by therealet23; 10-01-2013 at 09:26 AM.
therealet23 is offline   Reply With Quote