E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Koffinb

My Ride: 04 330xi 6spd
I just changed rear pads and rotors..should I have flushed fluid?

Brake pedal feels a little squishy now..like it takes a little more pedal travel. i'm thinking maybe air in the lines? It stops great once pushed down all the way I just remember the pedal feeling a little more responsive than what it is now.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Always at bare minimum bleed. But yes you should have replaced the fluid. (I hate the word flushed. Implies the use of some sort of machine or flushing of a toilet)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Have you bedded the pads in?
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Koffinb

My Ride: 04 330xi 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Have you bedded the pads in?
yes I have
Old 08-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
If you have not flushed the brake fluid in a while, you should go ahead and do it now. They say you should flush brake fluid every two years. In theory, you pushed the calipers open to make room for the new pads, and this will not introduce air that needs to be bled out, but your description is that you need to bleed the brakes.

Personally, if you can pay $70 for a flush, it's worth it. I'm sure any mechanic will be able to do this job in far less time than it takes you, and it will be worth it to stand in the waiting room and watch some guy drain fluid until it comes out clean.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Mango

AFAIK, stock pads do not require bedding in. But i guess it doesn't hurt. When I had my prior E46 brand new getting its brakes put on at the dealer under free maintenance, they put the new pads and rotors on and i simply drove off.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
If you have not flushed the brake fluid in a while, you should go ahead and do it now. They say you should flush brake fluid every two years. In theory, you pushed the calipers open to make room for the new pads, and this will not introduce air that needs to be bled out, but your description is that you need to bleed the brakes.

Personally, if you can pay $70 for a flush, it's worth it. I'm sure any mechanic will be able to do this job in far less time than it takes you, and it will be worth it to stand in the waiting room and watch some guy drain fluid until it comes out clean.
i'd rather use that money towards a motive power bleeder.

oh wait. i did

Amazon.com - Motive European Brake Bleeder

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
AFAIK, stock pads do not require bedding in. But i guess it doesn't hurt. When I had my prior E46 brand new getting its brakes put on at the dealer under free maintenance, they put the new pads and rotors on and i simply drove off.
They don't. They just say to drive normally or something.

OP should be careful who does the fluid change because you don't want to drain it, then add fluid. If you introduce air into the ABS module it is supposedly bad and you'll have to take it to the dealer.

BMW VIN Decoder
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
I wasn't going to bed mine in, but they had a squeal on light application. Five hard decelerations from 80 mph to 30 mph, and no more squeal. The process transfers pad material to the rotor and helps prevent glazed pads.
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-em-dougle-u View Post
I wasn't going to bed mine in, but they had a squeal on light application. Five hard decelerations from 80 mph to 30 mph, and no more squeal. The process transfers pad material to the rotor and helps prevent glazed pads.
I had the same situation. I also bedded mine to get rid of the squeal. It came back three times, then about 5000 miles later never appeared again.

BMW VIN Decoder
Old 08-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
kgbeast

My Ride: 2002 330cic
I have been changing breaks for many years for my cars. You do not have to bleed or bed. You should turn the rotors though (I guess it is bedding). Autozone, Pepboys, O'riley all do that for about $15 a rotor. Turning rotors will improve breaking a tiny bit and also make sure that the breaks do not squeal. You have to bleed only if you disconnected the break line for some reason. Flushing fluid is necessary if visually looks bad (dark or dirty), if it looks like new fluid visually, it is most likely fine. Most manufacturers recommend to flush every 2-years, but that assumes severe climate and extreme conditions. But I guess it is cheap and easy enough to do so if it makes you feel better, do it. I live in southern California which is as far from severe climate as it gets. My 1997 Z3 had the same break fluid since about 2004 (when it was replaced for no apparent reason) and it still has the right color and I had never had to top it off... but again we have neither temp fluctuations here nor excessive humidity conditions. I did replace rotors on it though as these do wear.
kgbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
No reason why you can't change out the brake fluid after the new brakes are installed. And do it every two years.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbeast View Post
I have been changing breaks for many years for my cars. You do not have to bleed or bed. You should turn the rotors though (I guess it is bedding). Autozone, Pepboys, O'riley all do that for about $15 a rotor. Turning rotors will improve breaking a tiny bit and also make sure that the breaks do not squeal. You have to bleed only if you disconnected the break line for some reason. Flushing fluid is necessary if visually looks bad (dark or dirty), if it looks like new fluid visually, it is most likely fine. Most manufacturers recommend to flush every 2-years, but that assumes severe climate and extreme conditions. But I guess it is cheap and easy enough to do so if it makes you feel better, do it. I live in southern California which is as far from severe climate as it gets. My 1997 Z3 had the same break fluid since about 2004 (when it was replaced for no apparent reason) and it still has the right color and I had never had to top it off... but again we have neither temp fluctuations here nor excessive humidity conditions. I did replace rotors on it though as these do wear.
Brake fluid should be changed every two years (at least) for more reasons than looking "dirty" or "dark."

You should change the brake fluid in your Z3. It needs it-- 5x over (at least)

I have more ammo to this and will release it nicely if you are genuinely interested. But if not, I will point out the fact that you spelled "brakes" wrong at least 4 or 5 times

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
kgbeast

by the way, replacing the break fluid does not introduce air into ABS. ABS will have the fluid that it had as it is a closed and sealed circuit until engaged. When it is not engaged, the break fluid passes freely through it as if there was no ABS.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
kgbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Brake fluid should be changed every two years (at least) for more reasons than looking "dirty" or "dark."

You should change the brake fluid in your Z3. It needs it-- 5x over (at least)

I have more ammo to this and will release it nicely if you are genuinely interested. But if not, I will point out the fact that you spelled "brakes" wrong at least 4 or 5 times
... thanks for pointing this out. I was talking about break-dancing I guess. Sorry . Please "release more ammo" on the subject, there is always more to learn.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
Mango

Quote:
... thanks for pointing this out. I was talking about break-dancing I guess. Sorry . Please "release more ammo" on the subject, there is always more to learn.

You should change your brake fluid because it is hygroscopic. It absorbs moisture. That promotes corrosion and reduces the effectiveness of your brakes

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
kgbeast

... by the way Z3 won't be needing new brake fluid... Unfortunately, someone rearended it not too long ago and caused enough frame damage for the insurance company to declared it as "total loss". Bakes did work like a charm though because I was able to hold the SUV that hit me and not to be launched into the car in front of me. Corrosion point however is something I have not taken into the account. Thank you for pointing that out.

Last edited by kgbeast; 08-30-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #18
WDE46

BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES.

That is all.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

BMW VIN Decoder
Old 08-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #19
WDE46

Quote:
by the way, replacing the break fluid does not introduce air into ABS. ABS will have the fluid that it had as it is a closed and sealed circuit until engaged. When it is not engaged, the break fluid passes freely through it as if there was no ABS.
No but I think allowing the fluid level to drop too low while doing the brakes could let air in around that area. That's what I'm saying. There's no problem just pushing out the old fluid with new.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

BMW VIN Decoder
Old 08-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #20
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

My Ride: 1989 325is
That moisture also is a big contributor to brake caliper failure. Moisture=rust= stuck caliper pistons. I change mine every other year or before & after any track event. A pressure bleeder makes it really easy. As does different color fluids. ATE blue one change, gold the next.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Ken@BavAuto is online now   Reply With Quote