E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Seriously thinking of starting a CrossFit affiliate

out of my 2 car garage. Right now it's just the one side of the garage but I hope to expand to the whole thing. Thinking of doing 3-6 people classes. So I'll need to get more equipment. Bars, squat stands with pull up bars (rogue has these), make more boxes and medicine balls, bumper plates, bands, etc. Open for suggestions.

First I will take the level 1 cert. I have my eye on one in October. From there I will probably get more equipment and grow via word of mouth, fb, etc. There's a chance I will flop or become too big too fast. I cannot legally say I teach CF at that point because I'm not affiliated. I will see how it goes and then affiliate and grow into a new space. I have a lot of people that are giving me good advice. Greg (glight), my friend that owns a local CF, and a trainer at another location. It's funny since if I were to open one it would be in direct competition with my the other one in the area but he's so well established she doesn't mind. I even asked him if I could "intern" at his when I get my cert. He thinks it's a possibility.

If anyone has any advice, info, suggestions please let me know. Share your experience with CF. What you liked what you thought could be better at a box you visited or anything.

This is my garage gym right now. It would be cleaned up, repainted, and rearranged most likely.

https://www.facebook.com/SollydsStrengthAndConditioning

Last edited by DylloS; 08-30-2013 at 01:32 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Do it

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325

Random thoughts in no particular order.

Good music is a must.

Unbalanced workouts can be annoying for people who don't go 5 days a week.

Trainers who don't practice what they preach are annoying. I don't need Froning training me, but I'm not taking advice from someone who looks like they've never actually worked out in ANY style.

Don't get something cool (like a tire or ropes) and then use it twice a year.

Keep in mind people want to look good and perform well. Not everybody wants to be pure function.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing

Last edited by dwass325; 08-31-2013 at 08:05 PM.
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Re: Seriously thinking of starting a CrossFit affiliate

My thoughts (to be continued)

1. Get EVERYTHING out of there. Or at the very least build some cabinets to house all your ****. People will come and training your garage but they don't want to be constantly reminded that they're at your house.

2. Do random member appreciation things. Congratulate their accomplishments on your page, buy them a random gift card for coffee, etc.

3. Encourage community type things. Have random barbecues, bar nights, etc.

4. Have structure to your days so that people know what to expect. Warmup, mobility, strength, conditioning. Every day. Cycle through and plan based on your members schedules like dwass said. Dont make it so people that only come tuesday friday are always back squatting and pressing only.

5. Do fun stuff some times. Meet at a park or the bridge or something random that no one expects. Do partner wods, make people carry each other around a track, whatever.

6. Start small and don't make it so you have to plan around equipment limitations. People shouldn't get short changed since they're working out in a garage.

7. Charge less than your competition that is in a warehouse. Your cost structure is different so you price should be different too. Your early members will be grandfathered in at a lower rate if and when you get a dedicated space, but so be it. They were the ones that made it possible.

More to come, but these were the first things that came to mind.

Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
DylloS

Thank you guys. I've been thinking about this all weekend. I just hope I can get some people to join once it's all set up. What would you guys suggest to get new members and do you think I should do a class rate or monthly charge?

Last edited by DylloS; 09-02-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i

You should do well. CF is the new fad. Everyone wants to do it. I see people that I've grown up with that wouldn't ever think about touching a weight, try CF, and love it. And it's ridiculously overpriced for what it is. So if you open an affiliate with lower prices, people will come.

Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezy321 View Post
You should do well. CF is the new fad. Everyone wants to do it. I see people that I've grown up with that wouldn't ever think about touching a weight, try CF, and love it. And it's ridiculously overpriced for what it is. So if you open an affiliate with lower prices, people will come.

Yea I hope it stays relevant. I know it's the reason many people are into weightlifting now because of it.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
DylloS

Also do you guys think CrossFit Stronger U or CrossFit Newburgh would be better. Pros and cons to both. There isn't another cf in my town so I can capitalize on that. No frills. Just use the town name. Or I can use a catchy title and be a little more memorable.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Glight

Re: Seriously thinking of starting a CrossFit affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Also do you guys think CrossFit Stronger U or CrossFit Newburgh would be better. Pros and cons to both. There isn't another cf in my town so I can capitalize on that. No frills. Just use the town name. Or I can use a catchy title and be a little more memorable.

Use both. Stronger u at CrossFit Newburgh. Some **** like that. Find a stronger u at crossfit Newburgh. Build a stronger u at CrossFit Newburgh, etc.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
DylloS

Hmm. I want to keep it simple. My town is also known to be ghetto as sh1t so if I'm cf Newburgh a person from another neighboring town may not come. I guess this is just one more thing to think about lol. I love the Stronger U name and slogan of "preparing your body for the real world" to touch on the university thing and functionality of these workouts.

Last edited by DylloS; 09-02-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
I agree with Greg. My place is The Foundry - Printers Row CrossFit (Printers Row is a neighborhood in Chicago.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
I agree with Greg. My place is The Foundry - Printers Row CrossFit (Printers Row is a neighborhood in Chicago.)
I just think it may be confusing for people and make print stuff more complicated.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
DylloS

I love the Internet. So many helpful resources. https://321goproject.com/wp-content/...To-Do-List.pdf

Old 09-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
just out of curiosity: are you irked by the fact that strangers are going to be using your bathroom?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
just out of curiosity: are you irked by the fact that strangers are going to be using your bathroom?
Not at all. I'd be a little surprised if anyone joined that I didn't know though. I hope they do though.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
DylloS

ok guys help me think of what I may need for 4-6 people. I don't need to go nuts with this stuff yet. The wods will be designed around what equipment I will have rather than going nuts and buying a hundred different things. I'm pretty much just increasing the amount of things I have now.

I'm thinking about 3-4 more barbells
2 squat stands. Racks are too bulky and I have one now
2-3 flat benches
a bunch more bumper plates (not sure how many of each)
have 4 more plyo boxes made that can be 20", 24" and 30"
Make about 5-6 more medicine balls
a bunch of kettle bells. A few 20's, 35's 53's 70's and maybe an 88
clips for barbells
abmats
3 pull up bars
Olympic Rings

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff but anything you guys can think of will be great.

Last edited by DylloS; 09-05-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
fugarza

My Ride: 330i, R6
If you have the chance I suggest interning at a CF gym for a bit. You'll learn a lot from the other trainers there such as what cues they use to teach the lifts and what they do to fix problems. Before I became a trainer I was doing CF for two years. I know how to do the lifts but when I had to teach them it was a different story. It was great to see how others did it and shortened the learning curve for me.

I think KB's are a luxury in the beginning. There's nothing you can't do with a dumbbell that you do with a KB. Plus KB's are expensive and will take up room. You'll use DB's a lot more then the KB.

In the beginning run a free sat class. When you get a good regular group then offer a morning/evening class on the weekdays. Ask for money but let them know that everything you get from them is going back into the equipment.

For bumpers you should buy 45, 25, and 10's in the beginning. 35's are a luxury to buy when you have money. I would think in the beginning if you have 4-5 people working out you want to have enough weight where each person can throw on 225 lbs each for the wods. When you're doing strength stuff supplement the weights with iron to help offset the cost. You don't need bumpers for everything you do in the beginning.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #18
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugarza View Post
If you have the chance I suggest interning at a CF gym for a bit. You'll learn a lot from the other trainers there such as what cues they use to teach the lifts and what they do to fix problems. Before I became a trainer I was doing CF for two years. I know how to do the lifts but when I had to teach them it was a different story. It was great to see how others did it and shortened the learning curve for me.

I think KB's are a luxury in the beginning. There's nothing you can't do with a dumbbell that you do with a KB. Plus KB's are expensive and will take up room. You'll use DB's a lot more then the KB.

In the beginning run a free sat class. When you get a good regular group then offer a morning/evening class on the weekdays. Ask for money but let them know that everything you get from them is going back into the equipment.

For bumpers you should buy 45, 25, and 10's in the beginning. 35's are a luxury to buy when you have money. I would think in the beginning if you have 4-5 people working out you want to have enough weight where each person can throw on 225 lbs each for the wods. When you're doing strength stuff supplement the weights with iron to help offset the cost. You don't need bumpers for everything you do in the beginning.
Thanks for the ideas. I prob wouldn't go with 35's because I do have a lot of iron. Nearly 600lbs and probably enough for most people to use multiple different weight combos.

I do know KB's are expensive but I don't have dumbbells for people. I have a set of 30's and a set of adjustable power blocks. So 2 really. I like the idea of the free saturday class. Do I charge by class at first or do a monthly fee? Anything else you can suggest would be great.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
Glight

Quote:
ok guys help me think of what I may need for 4-6 people. I don't need to go nuts with this stuff yet. The wods will be designed around what equipment I will have rather than going nuts and buying a hundred different things. I'm pretty much just increasing the amount of things I have now.

I'm thinking about 3-4 more barbells
2 squat stands. Racks are too bulky and I have one now
2-3 flat benches
a bunch more bumper plates (not sure how many of each)
have 4 more plyo boxes made that can be 20", 24" and 30"
Make about 5-6 more medicine balls
a bunch of kettle bells. A few 20's, 35's 53's 70's and maybe an 88
clips for barbells
abmats
3 pull up bars
Olympic Rings

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff but anything you guys can think of will be great.
3 total places to squat (basically buy 2 set of squat stands to supplement you rack) - $400
3 total places to do olympic lifts (Plywood with Stall mats) $200
3 barbells (AF Team Barbell) $600
12 45lb bumpers - $1,200 for all bumpers
12 25lb bumpers
12 10lb bumpers
Same as above in Iron + 5s and 2.5s - $500 for all iron from CL
Weight Trees - $100
2 18lb KB - $600 for all KB
4 36lb KB
4 53lb KB
2 70lb KB
1 10lb Slamball - $200 for all slamballs
2 20lb Slamballs
2 30lb Slamballs
No benches. They can floor press if you really want to bench.
3 sets of rings - $200
3 ab mats - $50
3 medicine balls - Make them
3 plyo boxes (3 sided with 20", 24" and 30") - $100 - make them
Gym Clock (Clock gone bad) - $120
3 airdynes from craigslist (try to get ones that look the same at least) - $400
PVC - $30
Pull up bands - $50
3 pullup bars - $300

Have a library with books that members can check out and take home. Starting Strength, Greg Everett's Olympic Book, Paleo Cookbooks, Becoming a Supple Leopard - $100

I would get a friend with a solid truck and make a road trip some weekend to somewhere you can buy all this in person. You'll save at least $1,000 in shipping.

Total cost is probably - $5,000 or so. you have some of the stuff already and you dont need it all at first. Basically this would set you up to run up to 6 person classes (3 doing wod at a time, some sharing stuff for strength).
Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #20
Glight

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas. I prob wouldn't go with 35's because I do have a lot of iron. Nearly 600lbs and probably enough for most people to use multiple different weight combos.

I do know KB's are expensive but I don't have dumbbells for people. I have a set of 30's and a set of adjustable power blocks. So 2 really. I like the idea of the free saturday class. Do I charge by class at first or do a monthly fee? Anything else you can suggest would be great.
Free Saturday class is good and maybe do something at the park once a month. Monthly fee is best. $75 for twice a week, $95 for 3 times a week and $110 for unlimited. Or you can sell 10 visit punchcards for $125.

Big white boards to track progress with certain benchmarks for all members.