E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
XKR

My Ride: 2001 M3 Convertible
Exhaust sections question on M3

So I just upgraded to catless SGT headers and want a different exhaust sound. I know the changing section 2 contributes a lot of change but how important is section one? I'm probably going to cut open my muffler and pull everything out and connect a few pipes since I'm looking for that loud exotic some what raspy sound but I'm not sure what I should do about section one. I'm not running any cats and I know people tend to put them down stream so should I just leave it alone or get straight pipes for section one. The only reason I ask is because I could save 200 bucks and cut out the resonator. But would an upgraded section one have a different pipe dimensions?

If I were to get a rasp pipe in section one, how much would that tone down the exhaust? since it does muffle some sound but not sure how much

For the xpipe, does it matter where I go to get one or are they all basically the same. (un resonated version)
XKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3

I recommend you do it one step at a time.

Gut your muffler, still need it louder? Remove resonators from section 1, if it gets too raspy then weld in one AR20 rasp eliminator. Still too raspy? Add another.

An Xpipe will remove some rasp as well but not much. It'll definitely be loud though.

Here's my detailed exhaust setup review. Last few pages have videos.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=450801

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
XKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANREC330 View Post
I recommend you do it one step at a time.

Gut your muffler, still need it louder? Remove resonators from section 1, if it gets too raspy then weld in one AR20 rasp eliminator. Still too raspy? Add another.

An Xpipe will remove some rasp as well but not much. It'll definitely be loud though.

Here's my detailed exhaust setup review. Last few pages have videos.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=450801

wow that's a nice set up you've got. I was going to get the top speed muffler but I heard so many negative reviews about it so i'll hold off on that. I'm going to take my muffler off next week just to see how that would sound if I straight piped it which is probably way to obnoxious and attract un wanted attention from the cops. I gotta say, these catless SGT headers do make my stock set up pretty damn loud as is lol. I don't think their muffler sounds that bad but it seems kind of quiet. I just don't want so much rasp that it'll sound like a honda
this one guy cut everything out in chamber 3,4,5 and 6 and stuffed it with some sort of wool and surprisingly he has almost no rasp from his set up. i think he has a link to his build in the description aswell. sounds awesome!
Old 08-31-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
ANREC330

That sounds pretty good!

The TopSpeed muffler isn't for the faint at heart lol it's loud (not as loud as everyone makes it seem though)

If I was you I'd gut the oem exhaust first. I didn't have that option because my car came with a magnaflow catback exhaust.

Definitely take it one step at a time though.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
XKR

I just took off my muffler; all I could say is that it's the best sound I heard but it's soooooooo loud haha. I love it though but I know the cops wouldn't. I didn't risk driving it home because I would most likely get pulled over so next step is the debaffling.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
///M3AN-MIKE

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Once warmed up my E46 M3 sounds pretty wild.

Turner Catless Headers
Turner Section 1 with cats and resonators
Supersprint Section 2 non resonated
Megan racing burnt tip exhaust.

///M3AN-MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
ANREC330

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3AN-MIKE View Post
Once warmed up my E46 M3 sounds pretty wild.

Turner Catless Headers
Turner Section 1 with cats and resonators
Supersprint Section 2 non resonated
Megan racing burnt tip exhaust.

Our cars probably sound the same! In theory they are the same parts minus the cats since I don't have any.

After I got the evolve tune I think mine got quieter. But I can't say for sure since I've grown use to the noise.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
XKR

what do you think of your RE x-pipe? there are so many x pipes on the market with all different prices but it seems the rouge engineering one is the only one that you could buy with the EVC without having to mod it on.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
ANREC330

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKR View Post
what do you think of your RE x-pipe? there are so many x pipes on the market with all different prices but it seems the rouge engineering one is the only one that you could buy with the EVC without having to mod it on.
I like it a lot. If you plan to buy it new definitely get it from Modbargains. Hardest part is wiring the switch.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
XKR

Quote:
I like it a lot. If you plan to buy it new definitely get it from Modbargains. Hardest part is wiring the switch.

hmm, do you have to wire the switch into the car, or is finding a power line the hard part?
Old 09-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
ANREC330

Finding power is easy. Getting the wire from inside of the car to the outside was the hardest part.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
///M3AN-MIKE

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Wink custom tune

Quote:
Our cars probably sound the same! In theory they are the same parts minus the cats since I don't have any.

After I got the evolve tune I think mine got quieter. But I can't say for sure since I've grown use to the noise.

Yeah, different tunes def make a difference, I was running all the mods with a shark tune and the car dynoed last week at 294 whp. I had a custom tune created and now its at 329 whp. After the cats are removed and a set of under drive pullies added, plus cold air and elbow, we are shooting for 340-350 whp, numbers thought impossible out of that motor without forced induction. Only draw back to the tune is that the idle is VERY rough at warm up. Car feels very jittery in traffic or low speed. Only likes to be on the gas or moving quick. Plus around town she's sucks down the fuel .
///M3AN-MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
ANREC330

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3AN-MIKE View Post
Yeah, different tunes def make a difference, I was running all the mods with a shark tune and the car dynoed last week at 294 whp. I had a custom tune created and now its at 329 whp. After the cats are removed and a set of under drive pullies added, plus cold air and elbow, we are shooting for 340-350 whp, numbers thought impossible out of that motor without forced induction. Only draw back to the tune is that the idle is VERY rough at warm up. Car feels very jittery in traffic or low speed. Only likes to be on the gas or moving quick. Plus around town she's sucks down the fuel .
That's odd. Mine use to feel that way before the tune. After the tune I have a lot of bottom end and idle is smooth. I'm still going to be adding under drive pulleys as well. Hoping to dyno in the 335-350whp range