E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Front Control Arm Bushings

I ordered a new set of front control arm bushings for the Touring on Monday. They arrived in the big brown truck on Thursday afternoon. I put them in this morning. Only took an hour and a half from start to finish, and I'm nearly 70 years young. First time for them on the Touring. Miles are low, but they were completely shot. Car feels much tighter. I used OEM bushings, since the car is lightly driven. Don't be afraid to try this one. I used a 3 jaw puller to force the old bushings off the control arm. Lots of Dawn Dishwashing Detergent to ease the new ones on. Give it a try.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
hanna

My Ride: BMW 328i

I'm planning to get new entire control arms next time. I'm at 130K, what do you think? I think the ball joints are tired too by now.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Stickbuilder

Personally I would compare the price of the parts (CAB & ball joints) against replacing the entire unit. My car has just a tick over 70 thousand miles and the bushings were shot but the ball joints measure at factory specs using a dial indicator and floor jack. I think that the rubber deteriorates over time as much as the miles cause.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Old 08-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Chrsb5

My Ride: 2004 330i

Like the OP the fcabs go, it's not a matter of if, but when. Rubber will break down over time. The ball joints on the other hand are much more dependent on driving style, how bad the roads are and to a lesser extent, the aggressiveness of your wheels and suspension set up. I replaced both right around 70k miles as well, and the ball joints were still tight. At 130k, I'd do both , if for nothing other than piece of mind.

Chrsb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
bimminge46

My Ride: 323Ci, 89 325i ETA
I usually use a small puller if you can get in there. When you remove the lollipop from the frame you don't have much room to use a puller. I usually just spray it with wd or pb and use a rubber mallet to get them off. Now I had a hell of a time getting old bushings out of the lollipop. Since I didnt have the removal tool I used a fine chisel to get them out. To get the new ones in the lollipop I just used a wooden board and hammer on a vise. I used laundry detergent and a rubber mallet to get them on. Dish soup didn't work. Did you buy the lollipop with the bushing prepressed in? Sounds like you did because if you just order the bushing its a lot harder to do.

E30 in progress.

Last edited by bimminge46; 08-31-2013 at 09:44 PM.
bimminge46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
hanna

My Ride: BMW 328i

Not many people get into the trouble of pressing out/in bushings into the lollipops. Especially since the pair of Lemforder cabs in carriers can be had for under $100

hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
Stickbuilder

I bought the bushings with the lollipop pre assembled. The 3 jaw puller took them right off the control arm. Dawn dish washing detergent allowed them to pop right on with a rubber mallet. I do have a lift in my shop that makes this easier for me. At my age I don't crawl under the car.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Old 09-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i

I just swapped my fcab's in favor of poly fcab's... It was an absolute nightmare getting the old ones off! Which is weird bcuz I have receipts that show they were just changed last year by the PO. But, the ones that came off were cheap POS bushings and the rubber fused to the control arm. I've changed fcab's on BMWs about 50 times when I was a mechanic, and my car was by far the worst I've done.

Last edited by Leezy321; 09-01-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote