E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
RealAims

My Ride: E46 318i
Lightbulb e46 BMW 318i M43TUB19 Individual Throttle Bodies

Hi everyone. I have a dilema. But before I get into it, a little intro....I'm keeping the e46 m43 NA & have been looking at making it as fun as possible with as little headache as possible.

Where I live response is king. Traffic is horrible but every once in a while you get semi open roads with chances to dart through traffic and get to where your going.

I recently sold my 2jz Lexus IS300 and wanted something more fuel economic but still within the sport luxury scene and the 1.9 SOHC 318 preface lift really fit the bill.

I like the looks and it's a bimmer so, win win.

NOW unto my dilema. o_O

I'm looking at a more aggressive cam, possibly a 266 or 272 & an aftermarket header with a catless exhaust system. Lighter pullys & flywheel. I'm in the process of outsourcing the parts but since I'm located in Panama City, Panama and all parts need to be imported things have been diffuclt to say the least.

So the first thing I did was buy some good tires. 245/35 19z for my 19/9.5 TSW rims. Now I find muself debating on wether to get the dbila throttle bodies with plenum from a vendor in the states vs. Purchasing in Europe or sourcing a MAFLESS ITB setup like this one from youtube.

http://m.youtube.com/index?tab=w1&de...?v=WxJADC0Slxk

I've been looking for enthusiasts and tuners that might give me an insiders look as to what may be needed for each setup.

I have many questions such as would a pre flashed chip be needed for both or would the mafless be cheaper than the dbila set up etc.

ITB work, and provide more HP and better responses but so few use them. I hope to get some useful responses from those who have worked with them.

Thanks and all the best.
RealAims is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
Well, to me, that particular setup in the video doesnīt seem to run good. it revvs aweful.

but another thing, which i donīt really understand: you want a itb setup. so your aim should be a nice revving and light car? is that correct?

if so, why the hell did you go with such big tires and rims? when using a small engine and therefore no real torque, iīd do anything to keep the rotational masses as low as possible.

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
RealAims

looking for info on this set up for the 318
DME (Bosch BMS 46 ) with Piggyback ECU

I'll do some more searching tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
RealAims

Hi Daniel, the rims came with the car and are surprisingly very light weight, in fact their lighter than my old 18/9 Lexus rims. The stance looked good so I left it alone.

I'm not looking for super car performance, if I was I'd look at an M3 or LS3 engine swap but I promised my wife that I wouldn't do anything crazy so since a happy wife = a happy life I'll just look to add some more pep to the car and keep it mostly stock.

I've done turbos and chargers and wanted to try a different build with the little engine. I've seen how responsive small displacement motors can be (albeit most were not daily drivers) but bimmers have a long history of using ITBs.

In the end I may just end up going with the cheapest option seeing as I'm limited by location and access to parts.

thanks for the chime.

JR
Old 09-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
Well, if i were to build a na engine i would take a set of itb`s from a motorcycle, match them to a modded runners and i would use megasquirt 2 to control it.

does that engine have any kind of vanos?

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #6
jdjg

My Ride: e39, m52tub30
e46 BMW 318i M43TUB19 Individual Throttle Bodies

JR quien eres? yo soy de Panama....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jdjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
RealAims

Que tal jdjg, Julio Rodriguez. Jiujitsero y crossfitter :-).

A que taller vas?
Old 09-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
RealAims

Thread update. After hours and hours of searching and talking with mechanics, I've decided to go with dbila since it would require less tunning. The custome made ITB setup would require alot of tunning with the piggy back etc because it deleates the MAF. The DBILA system keeps the maf and all the bells and whistles BUT gives the response and the benefits of ITB setup. The price is so much more, but you get what you pay for.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
Calum G

My Ride: E46 316I
Did this job ever get done in the end? and if so what throttle body set-up did u go for man?
Calum G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #10
HideKuro

My Ride: E46
Hi,

I come from my youtube refer link.
Thanks for watching my video and discussing.
The video was initial set up phase.
Currently this car owner works more active setting and get more power and quick response.
You can see following video.

I can share you regarding how to set up. _nr_
HideKuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:43 AM   #11
Calum G

My Ride: E46 316I
Looks top notch man how does the response feel when driving? n ye im interested to know how u set it up and what level of tuning you needed to get the car to work properly with it!
Calum G is offline   Reply With Quote