E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #21
cosmos///m3

My Ride: 2005 JB/IR ZCP ///M3
Sounds great guys!! Good to hear from you guys as I know you all have been extremely busy here as of late. Still holding off to hear more of the E85 development. When I came to visit the shop, and talk to Luke, I was very impressed with everything I saw and got to see

Plenty of E85 here in the midwest so lets make this happen sooner or later... Either way I suppose its just more time to save money... or more time to spend it on other things however you want to look at it

Look forward to talking to you guys again soon...

-Kyle
Old 09-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #22
sgtghost69

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Hello everyone. Awesome thread, I love to see more bmw's get into boost. Hey Mike I had a question for you. Will Maximum psi be attending 2014 bimmerfest in Southern California? It would be awesome to see your product in person.
sgtghost69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #23
NickG

My Ride: 2001 330ci turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtghost69 View Post
Hello everyone. Awesome thread, I love to see more bmw's get into boost. Hey Mike I had a question for you. Will Maximum psi be attending 2014 bimmerfest in Southern California? It would be awesome to see your product in person.
They were at 2013 Bimmerfest with the car/kit. You just missed them!
Old 09-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #24
sgtghost69

Awwwww damn ! I was going to go but I had headlight issues. My halos were broken :/. Damn it, I hope they go next year. Thanks for letting me know though
Old 09-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #25
sgtghost69

Hey mike, I had a question about the stage one kit. Since it uses the stock ECU dose the car run like stock ? For example if I were to redline would the ECU still do the whole power cut off and If I had traction control would that still work . Sorry if its confusing its hard to try and expliain .
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #26
NickG

My Ride: 2001 330ci turbo
Quote:
Hey mike, I had a question about the stage one kit. Since it uses the stock ECU dose the car run like stock ? For example if I were to redline would the ECU still do the whole power cut off and If I had traction control would that still work . Sorry if its confusing its hard to try and expliain .
I can answer those questions for you....

Yes, the rev limiter still works like the factory (first fuel cut, then throttle cut). Traction control is also still functional.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #27
daemonicus

My Ride: batmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
I can answer those questions for you....

Yes, the rev limiter still works like the factory (first fuel cut, then throttle cut). Traction control is also still functional.
this is more of a driving question rather than the technical aspect of things, but how does the car feel while full throttle in a situation where the traction control has to kick in? do you lose a split second when the car cuts power and then gets back on it and the turbo has to spool again or is it pretty linear?

i'm also interested to know how stability control works while trying to accelerate around a corner. does it also do a fuel and throttle cut like traction control?
daemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #28
sgtghost69

Thank you NickG. I'm hoping to purchase that kit soon. Great question Deamonicus, i second those questions. Also would the kit come with a different service interval, and how much more oil will the engine now need? Also would the ECU need to be shipped over for the the tunning ?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #29
Shazam3

My Ride: 2002 e46 M3
I have MAX PSI Turbo Kit on my 02 SMG. The car is my daily driver and other than a few minor issues that Mike mentioned, has been running great. The drivability of the car is amazing - stock like, and becomes a beast once you press on the pedal. The car temps are also within normal range especially with H Town heat index of 110 degrees F in the summer. I have the Stage 4 Southbend clutch which is not so forgiving in the stop and go traffic, but I like it! It makes the car a different animal.

The following is a list of issues I encountered after the turbo kit was installed but was able to resolve them:

1. Can running hot on highway speeds (the temp gauge would climb to of the way). I replaced the fan clutch and temps are normal now. Issue resolved. Not turbo kit install related.
2. Idle drop when abruptly stopping the car, sometimes stalling altogether. I replaced the Throttle Speed Control Sensor (near the oil filter). Issue resolved. Not turbo kit install related.
3. Idle drop when turning car sharply into the drive way (power steering pump kicks in and puts more load on the motor). Issue remains. Although if I am in SMG S3 setting no stalling occurs.
4. SMG gear delay when shifting at higher RPMS > 7500 RPMS. You have to release the gas pedal for SMG to shift to the next gear. Issue remains.

As you can see, our cars are 8 to 10 years old now, and there are issues outside of the install of MAX PSI turbo kit. I would highly recommend to research (as I did on the forums) to see if your issue mimics anyone having the same problems.

I am glad that I went with MAX PSI turbo kit. I am sure Mike and his team will work out any related issues very soon.

S
Shazam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #30
m3sc

My Ride: 06 TurboM3,06 SC C55
I bought the raffle'd kit and Chris Castro test drove it with me in the car. The engine died when he came to a stop to make a left turn back into the shop. He said it was nothing but now I know why it stalled. I will tell Chris that I will wait for your software update before I pick up the car. He also told me about the overheating issue so I told him to replace the fan clutch. I will also need the retrofit for the fuel pump controller as well.

If you pay for the shipping I will let you take the car to New Jersey or Florida to have it fine tuned for my SMG issues.

Please PM me or reply to this post. Otherwise I will call you or Luke on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@maximumpsi View Post
Hi Guys,

We have been pretty quiet on the forums, however we have been doing a lot of testing for the further upgrade paths for our E46 M3 turbo kit. There are 15 cars on the road with our E46 M3 turbo kit as of today! Three of those cars including mine are running stage 2 software with switchable maps. One kit is running stage 3 software/hardware! We have kit number 16 shipping out tomorrow to our first Canadian customer.

Stage 2/MS109 switchable map development:
As I mentioned previously, we now have three cars running with Stage 2 Switchable map software in "beta" configuration. I have been putting our shop car through the wringer to determine the limits for our stage 2, stock motor software. Things are progressing nicely, and I hope to be able to release the stage 2 software officially as soon as possible. Here is a nice video of Karim's stage 2 car shredding tires at a recent drift event:

Stage 2 E85 evelopment:
Once the Stage 2/MS109 testing is completed we will install the rest of our Flex Fuel conversion hardware and begin testing on my car with the stock internals. I was hoping to be further along with this, however there were other pressing items that needed to be addressed beforehand. We will keep everyone informed as things progress.

Stage 3 - built motor, pump gas:
We recently finished our first built motor car and it is tearing up the streets of NJ! It makes me want to throw a low compression bottom end in my car right away and crank up the boost. The 6466 and pump gas power levels are pretty wicked. We will be putting up a separate thread with pics and dyno numbers very shortly.

SMG cars/stalling issue:
We have sold six SMG kits to date including the kit that we raffled off at MFest this year. We have had very good feedback from the SMG cars aside from one common issue/complaint. The SMG cars will sometimes stall while coming to a stop and returning to idle. We are currently working on calibration revisions to eliminate this issue, however all of our SMG kit owners are located in the midwest or west coast, or they are their daily driver and can not be without the car for an extended period. I was hoping we would get a customer local to us in NJ, or local to Nick in southern Florida that had an SMG car and would let Nick final tune the car in-house at his shop in Florida however it hasn't happened yet. I am now asking for anyone interested in purchasing an SMG kit to contact us at Sales@maximumpsi.com. We will work with you on a discounted price if you are willing to let Nick to finalize the SMG software revisions in Florida using your car. Email or call us for details.

Fuel pump controller issues:
We have vehicles like mine that are driven long distances and put through to the test daily, and we have other customers that use their cars on the weekends or to go for a nighttime cruise. We had a few sporadic incidents with "fuel pump failures" on long trips that led us to look into the issue. We discovered the fuel pump control module on only small number of cars was getting overloaded with extended trips causing the car to shut off until it cooled off. We have since come up with a retrofit for current kit owners, and it is part of the kit for future installs.

Thanks again for all of your support. 2013 has been a dream come true for myself and Maximum PSI. We look forward to providing big power, OBDII compliant turbo kits for years to come!

Mike Radowski,
Owner, Maximum PSI
m3sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #31
m3sc

No answer when calling you.

Mike or Luke,
I just tried calling you but it just keeps ringing with no answer or greeting.

Please let me know when you guys are available.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #32
Shazam3

My Ride: 2002 e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam3 View Post
I have MAX PSI Turbo Kit on my 02 SMG. The car is my daily driver and other than a few minor issues that Mike mentioned, has been running great. The drivability of the car is amazing - stock like, and becomes a beast once you press on the pedal. The car temps are also within normal range especially with H Town heat index of 110 degrees F in the summer. I have the Stage 4 Southbend clutch which is not so forgiving in the stop and go traffic, but I like it! It makes the car a different animal.

The following is a list of issues I encountered after the turbo kit was installed but was able to resolve them:

1. Can running hot on highway speeds (the temp gauge would climb to of the way). I replaced the fan clutch and temps are normal now. Issue resolved. Not turbo kit install related.
2. Idle drop when abruptly stopping the car, sometimes stalling altogether. I replaced the Throttle Speed Control Sensor (near the oil filter). Issue resolved. Not turbo kit install related.
3. Idle drop when turning car sharply into the drive way (power steering pump kicks in and puts more load on the motor). Issue seems t o be resolved. Although if I am in SMG S3 setting no stalling occurs.
4. SMG gear delay when shifting at higher RPMS > 7500 RPMS. You have to release the gas pedal for SMG to shift to the next gear. Issue resoved. SMG computer self healed the issue.

As you can see, our cars are 8 to 10 years old now, and there are issues outside of the install of MAX PSI turbo kit. I would highly recommend to research (as I did on the forums) to see if your issue mimics anyone having the same problems.

I am glad that I went with MAX PSI turbo kit. I am sure Mike and his team will work out any related issues very soon.

S
09/20/2013 - Update

My SMG delay at high RPMs have been self healed. I guess the SMG computer takes time to learn the engagement points. Because I have Southbend Stage 4 - it took a few launches and hard passes for the computer to pick up the pace. I can tell you one thing, the car loves to jump like a pure dragster. It is made to be driven hard ... so do not baby it!

With the turbo kicking in, the car is lots of fun to drive. As the temperatures are falling in H-town, turbo is kicking in even harder.

All I have to say is Mike and Nick have a perfect recipe for making our cars into street monsters
Shazam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #33
daemonicus

My Ride: batmobile
maxpsi, any updates?
daemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #34
m3sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonicus View Post
maxpsi, any updates?
I am sending my SMG stage 1 next Monday over to Mike and Nick to program the ECU/TCU to address any stalling issues.

I am also upgrading to a stage 2, installing the UUC clutch and flywheel assembly, Bilstein or KW coliovers, sways, control arms and big brakes.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #35
mike@maximumpsi
boost junky

My Ride: 02M3T, 97M3T
As m3sc said, we are working on the SMG development with him. I am finalizing a few things on my E46 before swapping fuel system components over to E85.

-Mike
Click here for E46Fanatics 1/4 mile standings
Email us at sales@maximumpsi.com!
Like us on facebook to follow our latest builds and upcoming events! - facebook.com/maximumpsi
mike@maximumpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #36
m3sc

Mike,
I am going to call the transporter on Monday to pickup the car on Tuesday.

I drove the car around town and on the freeway and it stalls about 20% of the time when I come to a stop. Very scary. I hope Nick has a solution already figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@maximumpsi View Post
As m3sc said, we are working on the SMG development with him. I am finalizing a few things on my E46 before swapping fuel system components over to E85.

-Mike
Old 10-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #37
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Quote:
Awwwww damn ! I was going to go but I had headlight issues. My halos were broken :/. Damn it, I hope they go next year. Thanks for letting me know though
you didn't go to BF because your AE's were not working? lol
Old 10-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #38
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Maximum PSI E46 M3 turbo kit updates - 9/1/13

This was my car the day before BF and I almost made it there

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1382414129.586150.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	531726Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1382414137.918011.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	531728Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1382414148.012047.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	531729

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #39
m3sc

Stage 2.5 in progress on SMG M3 VERT?

Car arrived at Max Psi this morning. Mike starts work on it tomorrow. Excited about the bigger PT6466 CEA Ball Bearing Turbo as an upgrade over the standard PT6266CEA Journal Bearing Turbo that was still able to set a record with stock internals. I imagine this larger turbo may gain another tenth or so on 1/4 ETs and a few extra MPHs in trap but that is just wishful thinking on my part.

Last edited by m3sc; 11-05-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #40
Eric W

My Ride: 02 AA M3, 02 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3sc View Post
Car arrived at Max Psi this morning. Mike starts work on it tomorrow. Excited about the bigger PT6466 CEA Ball Bearing Turbo as an upgrade over the standard PT6266CEA Journal Bearing Turbo that was still able to set a record with stock internals. I imagine this larger turbo may gain another tenth or so on 1/4 ETs and a few extra MPHs in trap but that is just wishful thinking on my part.
Any updates? good or bad,................following this turbo kit development closely.
Eric W is offline   Reply With Quote