E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
b0bab0i

My Ride: x
Nexus 5 leak?

Nexus 5 leaked when they announced the Android 4.4 KitKat?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/469...5-kitkat-video

Old 09-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
LTE chip, please?

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
kit kat doesnt roll off the tongue like keylime pie.

"And all of my limitations begin to fade away. In this place I have freedom It's here I wish to stay.
Thoughts become distant feelings, I'm going with the flow. I'll just sit still now and begin by letting go...
begin by letting go...."
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Re: Nexus 5 leak?

I was just thinking the other day that it would be cool if they made it like a smaller version of the Nexus 7, then this pops up and seems to confirm it.

It's looking like this is what I'm going to upgrade to from my Gnex

And if Verizon doesn't carry it, then sayonara big red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
kit kat doesnt roll off the tongue like keylime pie.
True. Such a strange move

Oh well, marketing is marketing I guess. I do think the willy wonka style "golden ticket" contest is a pretty cool idea lol.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
At least something is around the corner. I'm curious. Hopefully at the same price point.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
b0bab0i

Render of the Nexus 5.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
5.2 inches? They can go **** themselves in the ass with this.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
Calm down, no one is forcing you to buy it.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Ynot

My Ride: 997
Quote:
lol, people buy notes, 5.2 isn't that big, phones are alternative to tablets now, I'm jealous, when someone pulls their 5.5 incher out and I look at my 4.8, all of a sudden I feel inadequate.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
specs? lte this time right?
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
'busa

As is often the case with smartphone leaks, the first one opens the floodgates to a wave of others. It looks like Google's next Nexus device, which most are calling the Nexus 5, will be no different. As discovered by S4gru, a smartphone manufactured by LG has appeared on the FCC's site with enough detail to associate it with the device that Google itself leaked in a KitKat promo video earlier in the week. The documents include a photo of the inside of the rear cover and its dimensions, including a very large hole for the camera, match up quite well. Unfortunately for people who need to swap batteries, the back is "not supposed to be removed."
More importantly, as Engadget notes, this device is being tested for a wide array of wireless standards, including support for LTE that should work on AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint. It also supports the usual set of HSPA and GSM bands along with CDMA and EVDO Rev A. If this device pans out, that will mean that Google will have finally righted the wrong it made with the Nexus 4 - namely putting proper support for LTE on its flagship Android phone. With both T-Mobile and AT&T accepting unlocked devices on their LTE networks, it only makes sense.
As for other specs on this device, all we know for sure it that it looks significantly larger than the Nexus 4. With that device selling out in the US Google Play Store and Google revealing the new name for Android 4.4, it's not a small jump to assume that this purported Nexus 5 will be announced fairly soon.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
More importantly, as Engadget notes, this device is being tested for a wide array of wireless standards, including support for LTE that should work on AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint. It also supports the usual set of HSPA and GSM bands along with CDMA and EVDO Rev A.
Hmm, this was the big question mark for me. CDMA or not. I was thinking there might be a chance there would be, since they did a Verizon enabled nexus 7. Maybe it will be the case.

We'll see if they will do a simultaneous launch on all 4 major carriers. I'm doubting it, but who knows.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
fd

My Ride: 530, 2000 328i
Paying Lucas for Droid name and now Hersheys(?) for Kit Kat ... hmmmm
fd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Verizon, please!!!

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #15
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Verizon, please!!!
Just read through the anandtech article. No inclusion of LTE band 13, which is what verizon uses. I was planning on having to switch off them anyways, so I'm fine with it at this point. Getting tired of their shenanigans lol

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7283/p...appears-lgd820

Looks like it'll be either T-Mobile or the new AT&T prepaid plans (Aio wireless) for me. They look pretty good.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #16
b0bab0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fd View Post
Paying Lucas for Droid name and now Hersheys(?) for Kit Kat ... hmmmm
Nestle. And supposedly they paid nothing.

Quote:
But as absurd as that is, what’s more mind-boggling is that Nestle didn’t pay Google a single penny for the placement. ”I can confirm that no money was exchanged,” a Google spokesperson told VentureBeat by e-mail earlier today. ( The spokesperson also confirmed that it was Google, not Nestle, that initiated the deal.
http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/03/wi...er-for-nestle/
Old 09-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #17
jeffro3000

Google doesn't pay for "droid" either, that was mostly Verizon, and some Motorola.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #18
jeffro3000

Quote:
Actually, the phone is smaller than a nexus 4 according to the FCC filing and the screen is 4.96" diagonal. Don't be so quick to judge.

Other interesting info:

" What's interesting about the LG-D820 approval is that it includes almost all of the bands you'd want for a North American SKU that covers LTE, CDMA, and HSPA+ for AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. There's no Verizon LTE (Band 13) in this band coverage. Non inclusion of Verizon LTE banding in an upcoming Nexus isn't much of a surprise after relationship issues following Galaxy Nexus (CDMA/LTE), inclusion of Sprint is a bit of one, but not as much (Google Voice, Google Wallet)."

" The breakdown is LTE***160;on bands: 2, 4, 5, 17, 25, 26, 41 (1 and 7 are probable as well, FCC only lists what's relevant inside the USA), WCDMA on bands: 2, 4, 5, and CDMA2000 1x/EVDO on band classes 0, 1, and 10 (800, 1900, 900 MHz). There's also 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (the screenshot above doesn't call out 802.11ac but it is explicitly mentioned and tested in the appropriate sections of the test reports) as well as BT 4.0 LE (Bluetooth smart ready). Inclusion of CDMA2000 1x/EVDO in and of itself is surprising, and the device includes the necessary LTE banding for Sprint, of course CDMA2000 is also relevant in a few other markets in combination with LTE.***160;"

Old 09-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #19
'busa

Sounds awesome!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
jeffro3000

Oh, and also the filing also supports the Snapdragon 800 SoC rumor, the latest gen processor that will handle LTE-A and VoLTE quite nicely.

This is going to be awesome if they can sell it unlocked at $300 or hell even $400.