E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
Thumbs Up JBL speakers GTO608C, Nice result

I was going to buy new OEM speakers from ecstuning, but was hesitated cause of the price will cost more for same result. I was looking for something better.
it's really a good choice:
Brand: JBL GTO608C 2-Way Component System Size : 6.5-Inch
I need 2 for front doors, 2 for rare,Bought 2 pairs of speakers from Amazon with very nice price, 59$ only.
They are 2ohm with 210 watt. So they are compatible with my car audio sys spec. I have HiFi audio sys in my car (10 speakers with amp in the trunk)
these speakers are coming with tweeters, crossovers and mounting brackets, but I didn't used them, the tweeters I have are still good, and no need for the crossovers.
And regarding the brackets, I didn't use them because it wont fit well.
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO608C-6-...words=jbl+608c

They are exactly same size, it just need to fabricate the bracket .

These speakers are shallow mount, they don't have much depth, so no problem when installing them in the front doors.

The midrange speakers are 8ohm, I was thinking they are 4ohm. Any way, I didnt need to change them they are working good.

Front speakers:

It fit well, you just need to seal them to the door using double side tape or something like that & a bracket to hold the speaker to the door ( I cut the old speakers to use them as bracket) , no need to cut any thing in door.

Here is the old speaker after cuting to use them as bracket to hold the speaker to door, I've used dremel tool to cut them.

Testing the bracket.

Another clear look.

I Planed to keep the harness and I'll solder the new speaker wires to the harness directly for the easy plug & play.

Rare speakers:

This one is for the rare speakers, I have cut the edges to install the new speaders into them, It takes much time cutting & fixing the speakers. but that was the best way to let the speakers fit like the original one.

compressing them in the bracket, seald by some super glue and silicone.
you'll not be abel to install the speaker into the braket like this, if you didnt cut the side edges.

Here is the speakers after the silicone and super glue dried. Better than the old one. Now these can fitted well, Note that I didn't remove the rare speaker insulation house, I kept it there. so the bracket will be fixed on the insulation house edge from the down of the bracket, and will be act like a small box for the speaker.

with these JBL, I've got really nice improved result over the old ones.

I have also installed Grome Audio, to add some more facilities to my car, like bluetooth, usb. aux, android compatibility.

Last edited by maxi; 09-05-2013 at 09:41 AM.
maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
mr ilia

My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
what did you do with the tweeters?
I noticed my HK is lucking high frequencies, but ok on the bass side.

All speakers in my car seem to produce sound.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
Nothing, the tweeters and midrange speakers which is in the middle of the doors are still in good condition, I didn't replace them.
And I found that the JBL tweeters which I've got with the component sys is not suitable for my car sys since they are 2hom, and my car amp needs 8 or 4hom.
My car Factory sys is very nice, and im very happy with it, and I dont wana change any thing in it, I prefer to keep as it is. and after replacing the woofers with these nice JBL, Im more than happy with it. Nice sound with more better bass.

If you know how to fabricate speakers, then this one will be a nice or the best choice for your E46 for the result and price.

Last edited by maxi; 09-06-2013 at 05:46 PM.
maxi is offline   Reply With Quote