E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #1
SuperSleeper

My Ride: 2003 330CIC
Android ibus integration

So, I have the Nexus 7 FHD, OTG USB adapter, and Rolf Serler's USB to ibus adapter. Using a USB to serial terminal app readily available on the google play App Store (no root required) i can successfully see all of the hex codes on the ibus.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-11-10-47-17.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	526067

There are Bluetooth serial adapters as well that would further simplify the integration.

So, that being said, without too much trouble, it should be an extremely simple task for an android developer to make an app that can read and pass code back and fourth, so that you can use the steering wheel integration to control the android volume as well as have the android control things on the ibus. Anyone willing to take it on??? I would consider it but know nothing about it.

Last edited by SuperSleeper; 09-11-2013 at 03:42 PM.
SuperSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
genius328i

My Ride: 328i
can we get some pics
genius328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
stef77972

My Ride: 320d
I'm really interested in this project. I already have the steering wheel control for my nexus 7 but I would like to have all Ibus informations as fuel level...
stef77972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
SuperSleeper

Bump... Just hoping someone out there will have some droid developing background. This wouldn't take much time to look into.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
If you could get this information to feed into tasker, a lot of awesome things could be possible and could be infinitely flexible...I just may look into this!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
SuperSleeper

Good point. Hmmm, How to get it into tasker?
Old 09-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
morningisbad

Depending on how you can get the information to feed in (via bluetooth or USB) you may be able to create a listener in tasker that processes all the data being fed in which waits for a specific pattern. Unfortunately, I don't think tasker handles that kind of process very efficiently. You'd likely need a separate app just for listening to these inputs that has a tasker plug in to trigger a tasker event.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
stef77972

I think the best way is to adapt riderunner and ibusrr wich are windows program as an android. I don't know if this video is a fake but it looks real an anwesome. I think guy "only" adapt the riderunner.exe ibusrr as an IOS app. In this video there is something I don't understand, there no interface pluged to Ipad and I don't think a bluetooth interface such as an ELM327 can read and send signal to Ibus
Old 09-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Mouf

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Re: Android ibus integration

Head over to XDA. There has to be someone there that could take this on..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Mouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:41 AM   #10
SuperSleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef77972 View Post
I think the best way is to adapt riderunner and ibusrr wich are windows program as an android. I don't know if this video is a fake but it looks real an anwesome. I think guy "only" adapt the riderunner.exe ibusrr as an IOS app. In this video there is something I don't understand, there no interface pluged to Ipad and I don't think a bluetooth interface such as an ELM327 can read and send signal to Ibus
Hahhahahaha! Take a close look at who posted that video . Its one of my first ibus implementations . It is effective, but clunky, and power hungry. It was a fun project though, and yes, it is real.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #11
SuperSleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouf View Post
Head over to XDA. There has to be someone there that could take this on..
Ah, good point. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree
Old 09-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
stef77972

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSleeper View Post
Hahhahahaha! Take a close look at who posted that video . Its one of my first ibus implementations . It is effective, but clunky, and power hungry. It was a fun project though, and yes, it is real.
I'm wondering how it works??
Old 09-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
stef77972

Supersleeper: I don't know if you already aware about this app, i found it on bimmer forum or xda dev I don't really remember. May be you could try it with the interface :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/526z233qgs...%20%281%29.apk
Old 09-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
morningisbad

Re: Android ibus integration

Quote:
Supersleeper: I don't know if you already aware about this app, i found it on bimmer forum or xda dev I don't really remember. May be you could try it with the interface :
Do you have any documentation in this? Have you seen it work?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
SuperSleeper

Quote:
I'm wondering how it works??
I was using Rolf Dealers ibis interface into a laptop in the trunk. The laptop ran riderunner with the ibus integration. Then I RDP into it with the iPad for control. Worked, but didn't want to keep the laptop running or mess with reliability factors with boot/shutdown.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #16
SuperSleeper

Quote:
I'll give it a shot.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
stef77972

morningisbad: Below the link where I found this app
http://www.mp3car.com/hardware-devel...ace-board.html

Supersleeper: Ok I understood very smart, I thought you achieved to convert to windows exe into an IOS app
Old 09-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
SuperSleeper

Quote:
morningisbad: Below the link where I found this app
http://www.mp3car.com/hardware-devel...ace-board.html

Supersleeper: Ok I understood very smart, I thought you achieved to convert to windows exe into an IOS app
Yeah the app didn't work with the Rolf Resler adapter. I tried switching the device location to the same as what it was on the slick USB to serial app, but it wouldn't connect to that either. I'm not sure if they are using USB to serial.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #19
iRide113

My Ride: 2004 325i
Try XDA Developers. You'll have much better luck there.
iRide113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #20
t3ddftw

My Ride: 05 M3 6MT
Hate to thread resurrect but I'm actually currently implementing exactly what OP asked for. Here's all my code if you want to look at it. Currently I can read and write to the IBus but I haven't implemented all the callbacks to the Activity so only the "Station Text" updates. Time permitting I'll have all these values updating within the next few weeks. If you look at the "IBusMessageHandler.java" file you'll see a commented blob where I decoded all the pertinent messages and decided I needed to refactor.
t3ddftw is offline   Reply With Quote