E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
daedalus34r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 519
My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
92A1 from hell update!

original thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=996814

tl;dr = 92A1 jamming 30% of 400 rounds of Freedom Munitions 115gr.

--------------

So i sent it in to warranty. They ran 51rds (3mags) of 'Black Hills 115gr JHP' and had no malfunctions. They just suggested to try different ammo.

This jives with most of the well meaning responses from the original thread. But now i throw a wrench into this conclusion:

I just put 100 rounds of the same freedom munitions ammo through my HK USP 9mm, flawless.

I'm curious about this Black Hills 115gr JHP and why didn't they test this with regular FMJ ammo? Google tells me it is a +P load, doesn't this mean it will have more recoil energy to cycle the slide than regular FMJ? Dubious testing standards imo.

So my 92 is high maintenance in direct contrast to every other 92 I've read about online. Anyways, I'll wait for some better priced factory new ammo and in the mean time just finish up my FM supply with the HK.
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
GasKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 602
My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
92A1 from hell update!

Just try different ammo.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Exitus acta probat
GasKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
tailo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
My Ride: 02 330I
I think he's limp wristing it.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you
 
Fisch330ciTopasBlau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Arkham Asylum
Posts: 1,758
My Ride: A car.
werd, that's always my first thought
__________________

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
tailo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
My Ride: 02 330I
Let somebody else shoot it.

A good friend of mine had a 44 mag DE that he had the same problems with, I could shoot it just fine but when ever he did it would occasionally jam.

Take a photo of your shooting stance and grip position.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Serbonze
Master of his domain.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: In my house
Posts: 2,053
My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus34r View Post
original thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=996814

tl;dr = 92A1 jamming 30% of 400 rounds of Freedom Munitions 115gr.

--------------

So i sent it in to warranty. They ran 51rds (3mags) of 'Black Hills 115gr JHP' and had no malfunctions. They just suggested to try different ammo.

This jives with most of the well meaning responses from the original thread. But now i throw a wrench into this conclusion:

I just put 100 rounds of the same freedom munitions ammo through my HK USP 9mm, flawless.

I'm curious about this Black Hills 115gr JHP and why didn't they test this with regular FMJ ammo? Google tells me it is a +P load, doesn't this mean it will have more recoil energy to cycle the slide than regular FMJ? Dubious testing standards imo.

So my 92 is high maintenance in direct contrast to every other 92 I've read about online. Anyways, I'll wait for some better priced factory new ammo and in the mean time just finish up my FM supply with the HK.
It doesn't matter what your HK will feed. That has no bearing on what your 92 will feed.

Like we said in the other thread, just buy a couple boxes of new ammunition to rule it out. It's going to cost you an extra $20 for 200 rounds. Don't go out to lunch tomorrow and you have made up the cost. You could have done this two months ago.

Has anyone else shot your pistol with the Freedom Ammunition and experienced the same malfuctions?
__________________

Last edited by Serbonze; 09-09-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,775
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Freedom Munitions is not exactly a top end brand. Black Hills is a top end brand. A lot of middle and low-end ammunition have loose tolerances, so they won't run in chambers that tend to run tighter. Berettas can have tighter chambers. When I was in the Army, I don't know how many times I had to slap the back end of my pistol to chamber a round. It wasn't always a mag issue either.

I would suggest running some higher grade ammunition. Defense/duty ammo tends to have the tightest, most exacting specs due to it needing to be as reliable as possible. That is likely the kind of ammo you may need. Get a set of 9mm chamber gauges to see if your gun has tighter tolerances or not.
__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 09-09-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
M3_POWER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,127
My Ride: 2005 M3
Shot 200 rounds of Freedom Munitions 9MM in my glock over the weekend with no issues at all.
__________________
M3_POWER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
tailo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,279
My Ride: 02 330I
I really don't think it's the ammo. Lets see your grip....

With my experiences with the m9 I can tell you that they....most of the time.... will run regardless of what crappy ammo you feed it and how bad you abuse it. Mine runs filthy with the cheapest stuff I can feed it. Box stock except for a spring swap.

Think you can take it apart? If so I can send you a different main spring, one that's modified out of a 1911. The light main spring will help if your limping it or the ammo is junk. Helps a TON with the trigger pull also.

Last edited by tailo; 09-09-2013 at 05:25 PM.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,963
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Trade it in and be done with it.

I have never had someone test a gun I traded in.

I could never have a gun that had 10% as many issues as yours.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
daedalus34r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 519
My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
Let somebody else shoot it.

A good friend of mine had a 44 mag DE that he had the same problems with, I could shoot it just fine but when ever he did it would occasionally jam.

Take a photo of your shooting stance and grip position.
Yea i'll have to find a friend that knows how to shoot and use him for comparison. For folks wondering about my grip, it looks like this:

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-c...9/1911Grip.jpg

Ive never had limp wristing issues in any pistol ive shot, and that includes multiple 92s. In fact i bought the 92 because i felt i was most accurate with it and i liked the grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
It doesn't matter what your HK will feed. That has no bearing on what your 92 will feed.

Like we said in the other thread, just buy a couple boxes of new ammunition to rule it out. It's going to cost you an extra $20 for 200 rounds. Don't go out to lunch tomorrow and you have made up the cost. You could have done this two months ago.

Has anyone else shot your pistol with the Freedom Ammunition and experienced the same malfuctions?
Like i said in the other thread, NO NEW AMMO WAS AVAILABLE TO BE PURCHASED.

Finally im seeing new stuff in stock on gunbot, I'll overpay just to diagnose the 92. The range just got stuff in and is selling it at $18.50 a box.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Freedom Munitions is not exactly a top end brand. Black Hills is a top end brand. A lot of middle and low-end ammunition have loose tolerances, so they won't run in chambers that tend to run tighter. Berettas can have tighter chambers. When I was in the Army, I don't know how many times I had to slap the back end of my pistol to chamber a round. It wasn't always a mag issue either.

I would suggest running some higher grade ammunition. Defense/duty ammo tends to have the tightest, most exacting specs due to it needing to be as reliable as possible. That is likely the kind of ammo you may need. Get a set of 9mm chamber gauges to see if your gun has tighter tolerances or not.
I just got some Federal 147gr HST. I'm confident it will cycle that just fine. I'm just disappointed a gun that so widely used in LE and military applications is so fussy with tolerances. Don't you think a jammed gun could get someone killed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
Shot 200 rounds of Freedom Munitions 9MM in my glock over the weekend with no issues at all.
This is pretty much every review i read of FM online (not on the FM site), overwhelming praise and even among 92 owners.

My only guess is with the ammo crisis shortage they got sloppy to fulfill orders. I will give LAX ammo a try, they have been around longer whereas FM is pretty new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
Trade it in and be done with it.

I have never had someone test a gun I traded in.

I could never have a gun that had 10% as many issues as yours.
I want to keep it, I like it, we'll see. I think mine just came way too tight from the factory. Could be it needs 1000rounds of mild plinking FMJ to break in.

Last edited by daedalus34r; 09-10-2013 at 11:34 AM.
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Adamo99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 288
My Ride: 330Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
Shot 200 rounds of Freedom Munitions 9MM in my glock over the weekend with no issues at all.
I could bury my Glock in sand, put in in the freezer for a month, drive over it repeatedly, and still shoot hundreds of rounds of any ammo through it.
Adamo99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #13
king kong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: socal
Posts: 5,945
My Ride: mid-engine
maybe try something that isn't a reload? If you look hard enough, you can find new factory ammo for the same price as reloads
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #14
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,424
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I never liked the M9.

When I was looking for a full size 9mm, I almost talked myself in to buying a 92, then was able to pull myself away. Part nostalgia, I guess. (Kind of like, a while after you go through something tough, you think back and think it wasn't so bad. Yeah, kinda like that.)

Anyway, I had to qualify last month (first time since pre-deployment. Three years! I go one month late on a stupid online briefing and I get nasty notes from everyone in my food chain. Don't shoot for three years? "Oh, we'll get you next time we're at the range"), and remembered all over again how much a hate the M9. Still shot 39/40, but I hated every round of it. I'm so glad I didn't spend money on one and got my 226 instead.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
daedalus34r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 519
My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
so i got positive news, i think the 92a1 is finally broken in.

Last weekend i put another 200 rounds in, up to 800 total on the odometer.

50 rounds of Aguila 124gr, 100%
50 rounds of Federal 115gr, 100%
100 rounds of LAX reloads, 115gr, 100%

So zero hiccups on new brass as well as a different brand of reloads. So either LAX reloads are far superior to Freedom Muntions (unlikely) or my 92A1 is reliable now.

Also i plan to run this gun dirty. Before i was meticulously cleaning it after range trips, but now I will just use a bore snake and leave the rest untouched. Full cleaning will happen once dirt gets in the way of functioning.

Last edited by daedalus34r; 10-17-2013 at 08:42 PM.
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
daedalus34r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 519
My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Re: 92A1 from hell update!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1382103252700.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	531277

Click image for larger version

Name:	1382103276440.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	531278

I'm loving the beretta wood grips

Sent from my SGH-T999 using BimmerApp mobile app
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use