E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

View Poll Results: Which sub setup do you think would work best for what I want
four 6" bazookas 0 0%
2 8" bazookas or slim subs(if they fit straight in" 0 0%
2 10" slim subs in a crazy custom enclosure 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
M_South_Afrikanna

My Ride: e46 325i
Lightbulb Ideas for in cabin sub-woofer for the sealed sedan

So I am at the point financially to throw a sub system into my car, but heres the catch. I have grown accustomed to what a sub sounds like in a suv and/ or hatchback and have heard first hand how muffled a sub is in the trunk of a 330. So I've decide to go the harder root of installing a sub in the actual cabin of the car.

I have three goals:
1. It doesnt have to be body rattling loud but it has to move enough pressure to have a heavier spl affect.
2. It has to avoid encroaching to much on the passangers. I still want a four seater when im done.
3. It has to be a good enough sounding speaker and box that I dont hear the air fluttering out of the ports or the "fart" noise of a speaker in a to small box.

So I have worked out three options I can go down that I can afford and achieve all these goals with various results.

option 1: I run four 6.5" ported bazookas seating right against the empty area between where a leg would be and the front of the chair. Essentially having a person sit over it.
Now this option would work in terms of space usage and sound for me, but im worried it wont hit as low as I want. My friend currently runs one in his z3 in the passenger area and it sounds good but feels like its lacking. but it is only one so I thought 4 would make up for this.

option 2: I run two 8" bazookas or slim subs(if I find one i find to be better) in the rear passenger leg area.
now this option might hit lower but it encroaches a but on the rear passengers leg room.

option 3: I run 2 slim 10" subs, down firing in a custom box I would make that runs over the entire rear passenger foot well and cam well. This box would be shallow enough over the subs location ( in the actual foot wells), that it would raise the rear passengers legs up a bit but not to much. the box would the have a central tower of sorts that runs up between the two rear passengers, separating their legs but providing the extra air space for the two tens at their feet.
Now depending on the needed space for the subs a might even be able to port this box, and for fun add two cup holders to the box since the rear of my sedan doesn't have the fold down arm rest.
This option is the most time consuming but I feel that it would satisfy my sound needs and to a point all the other things I want.(plus with the added custom coolness and cup holders)

I appreciate any opinions or selections on this matter since I want to hear what people have to say. I will however say that just putting it in the trunk is not an option to state since im pretty set on wanting something in the cabin. Also I only want input on these choices or choices that fill these requirements. Thanks for reading this ridiculously long write up.
M_South_Afrikanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
M_South_Afrikanna

bump
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
M_South_Afrikanna

come on just pick one on the poll thing. bump
Old 09-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
M_South_Afrikanna

Old 09-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
MuddZHP

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Ideas for in cabin sub-woofer for the sealed sedan

Dude, put a sub in your ski pass thru behind the rear center arm rest.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MuddZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
M_South_Afrikanna

.....it doesnt have that. conv, coupe, and m3s have it. not sedans.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
M_South_Afrikanna

bumpity bump bump
Old 09-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Ideas for in cabin sub-woofer for the sealed sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_South_Afrikanna View Post
.....it doesnt have that. conv, coupe, and m3s have it. not sedans.
Yes it does. It's a punch out thing. There's a perforated metal piece that you can literally kick out.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Re: Ideas for in cabin sub-woofer for the sealed sedan

Have you looked into a sub box that mounts tight to the underside of the rear deck like the ones made by BSW? I made one with a single 10" but I don't need to blow my ears out on a daily basis so it just sits in the corner of a storage room now. You can make it with 2 10's and port it where the original subs were. Click image for larger version

Name:	1378769352569.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	525786

Old 09-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
M_South_Afrikanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Yes it does. It's a punch out thing. There's a perforated metal piece that you can literally kick out.
Im gonna go check this out. But I still want to try something new. which out of the options I got up there you think is not bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
Have you looked into a sub box that mounts tight to the underside of the rear deck like the ones made by BSW? I made one with a single 10" but I don't need to blow my ears out on a daily basis so it just sits in the corner of a storage room now. You can make it with 2 10's and port it where the original subs were. Attachment 525786

You talking about the subs that are in the hk system right?The non hk doesnt have subs in it stock. but hey if it turns out that i can punch out a opening in the metal and get rear seat with a fold down center then I would probably do that and run the port by the hole. Ill even offer to pay to take that box of your hands if thats the case.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i

Raising the floor for the rear passengers (#3) will be extremely uncomfortable for anything other than a short trip.

Honestly, all of the options are pretty bad, you either need to look into mounting something on the rear deck or just suck it up and put it in the trunk.

tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
TnT817

My Ride: 01 330ci
Why not just find a set of JL stealthboxes and be done? I have a single 8 alpine type-r, one of the best 8s out there according to lots of people on DIYMA that have tried many. It is enough to fill the sound and then some if you'd like. I have it paired with a 500w mono alpine amp. Or just run a sealed box and build a box under the rear deck. Use a 10in diameter piece of pvc pipe then seal it to your box around the sub then seal the port to the rear deck. That way everything is ported straight into the cabin. You could cut a section out of your rear deck then use speaker mesh fabric like they use in home theater systems, to fill in the space that you cut out, and make it look like it was supposed to be like that from the factory.

And sidenote about the type-r 8 is that it only has a 4.5in mounting depth and for optimum performance a mere 1.1cu ft is needed for a sealed box. This way your box will be very small and take up very little trunk height. The sub is very punchy and precise and not sloppy too.

Last edited by TnT817; 09-09-2013 at 07:11 PM.
TnT817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #13
M_South_Afrikanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
Raising the floor for the rear passengers (#3) will be extremely uncomfortable for anything other than a short trip.

Honestly, all of the options are pretty bad, you either need to look into mounting something on the rear deck or just suck it up and put it in the trunk.

I get where your coming from but I think I can build it low enough that it wont be to bad but yah I dont expect it to be good for long trips. As for putting it in the trunk, nope. I dont see why this cant be done. I know that by spec its not what you normally would do but Im not trying to do the norm. and If its the leg room thing then whats wrong with 4 6" bazookas they dont get in the way. I just want to hear why you think that option then might be a bad one? enlighten me dear sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT817 View Post
Why not just find a set of JL stealthboxes and be done? I have a single 8 alpine type-r, one of the best 8s out there according to lots of people on DIYMA that have tried many. It is enough to fill the sound and then some if you'd like. I have it paired with a 500w mono alpine amp. Or just run a sealed box and build a box under the rear deck. Use a 10in diameter piece of pvc pipe then seal it to your box around the sub then seal the port to the rear deck. That way everything is ported straight into the cabin. You could cut a section out of your rear deck then use speaker mesh fabric like they use in home theater systems, to fill in the space that you cut out, and make it look like it was supposed to be like that from the factory.

And sidenote about the type-r 8 is that it only has a 4.5in mounting depth and for optimum performance a mere 1.1cu ft is needed for a sealed box. This way your box will be very small and take up very little trunk height. The sub is very punchy and precise and not sloppy too.
Ya that is a viable option but its not really a route i want to go (cutting and all). I think this is my fault for not putting it in the first post but I really need to avoid doing any sort of cutting and or punching out of any metal relating to the stock chassis. so unfortunately even though i did find the rear punch out that I was referred to earlier. I don't like the idea of punching out anything chassis wise that bmw put on there.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
tachi1247

these aren't big cars, and they don't have a lot of leg room so taking up any of it is a bad idea imo. Wherever you think you can fit these 4 subs without being in the way, I'm betting they will be in the way for someone. Taller people, shorter people, kids, etc all get in and out of cars differently and place feet in different places. I'm betting either just sitting there or getting in or out, someone will kick it, step on it, or trip on it and it will get broken or otherwise just be a nuisance. If you want to put one in the driver's foot well that might work because you will be careful, but don't expect your girlfriend, co worker, or a child to be as mindful as you.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #15
M_South_Afrikanna

[QUOTE=tachi1247;15696638]these aren't big cars, and they don't have a lot of leg room so taking up any of it is a bad idea imo. Wherever you think you can fit these 4 subs without being in the way, I'm betting they will be in the way for someone. Taller people, shorter people, kids, etc all get in and out of cars differently and place feet in different places. I'm betting either just sitting there or getting in or out, someone will kick it, step on it, or trip on it and it will get broken or otherwise just be a nuisance. If you want to put one in the driver's foot well that might work because you will be careful, but don't expect your girlfriend, co worker, or a child to be as mindful as you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app[/QUOTE

. I should probably post a pic up so you guys can see what im talking about. theres plenty of room when people sit down between the front of the seat and the back of the leg because the seats in our cars are low enough that you do have to extend your legs out a little to be comfortable. I plan to put on tube sideways across the front of the seat in this gap. plus the bazooka tube is pretty sturdy so im not really to worried about hitting that part of it. the sub is cover by a grill so itll be fine for the daily bumps climbing in and out.

Last edited by M_South_Afrikanna; 09-09-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #16
tachi1247

That is exactly where I thought you were talking about. That space won't be as unobtrusive as you think, and certainly not in the backseat.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #17
Mouf

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan

[QUOTE=M_South_Afrikanna;15696752]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
these aren't big cars, and they don't have a lot of leg room so taking up any of it is a bad idea imo. Wherever you think you can fit these 4 subs without being in the way, I'm betting they will be in the way for someone. Taller people, shorter people, kids, etc all get in and out of cars differently and place feet in different places. I'm betting either just sitting there or getting in or out, someone will kick it, step on it, or trip on it and it will get broken or otherwise just be a nuisance. If you want to put one in the driver's foot well that might work because you will be careful, but don't expect your girlfriend, co worker, or a child to be as mindful as you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app[/QUOTE

. I should probably post a pic up so you guys can see what im talking about. theres plenty of room when people sit down between the front of the seat and the back of the leg because the seats in our cars are low enough that you do have to extend your legs out a little to be comfortable. I plan to put on tube sideways across the front of the seat in this gap. plus the bazooka tube is pretty sturdy so im not really to worried about hitting that part of it. the sub is cover by a grill so itll be fine for the daily bumps climbing in and out.
If your so sure why are you asking then? You asked for ideas and are attacking every one given to you....

Mouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #18
M_South_Afrikanna

alright I guess that will be fine by me. what you think about the sound of them though. Im having trouble finding a good example of what 4 6.5 ported subs sound like.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #19
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_South_Afrikanna View Post
Im gonna go check this out. But I still want to try something new. which out of the options I got up there you think is not bad

You talking about the subs that are in the hk system right?The non hk doesnt have subs in it stock. but hey if it turns out that i can punch out a opening in the metal and get rear seat with a fold down center then I would probably do that and run the port by the hole. Ill even offer to pay to take that box of your hands if thats the case.
Nope. Not talking about those. The big box with tens would mount to the underside of the deck lid where the HK subs would be. It sounds like you are dead set on just tossing a pile of speakers on your floor so you can rattle your teeth and shake your rearview but check out the BSW website options for the E46 to see the box I'm talking about.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
M_South_Afrikanna

^checked those long time ago. I've been doing research on all this for awhile (about 8 months) and have a long list of threads that im using as reference for my decisions. Plus what I have found on personal experience by trial and error and friends. I did look at the option your talking about awhile ago cause it would be my first choice but heres my issues with it. I have checked three times just to make sure i dont sound like an idiot but there are absolutely no holes in my rear shelf for the supposed subs that would be there(I know hk has them but im not finding them if someone would point me in the direction of these I will quickly apologize for my incompetence.) so that means It will still be in a sealed rear trunk cause im not cutting holes in anything. So that pretty eliminates the sub in trunk mounted to rear shelf idea because (now correct me if im wrong) it will be essentially the same as just putting a sub on the floor in the trunk and I have already heard how much quieter the sealed trunk makes the sub. Hence me "being dead set on just tossing a pile of speakers on your floor so you can rattle your teeth and shake your rear view" .

The BSW option runs into the same problem mentioned before so thats out, plus for the price of that I could have just gone your route and saved a couple of hundred and installed 2 tens instead of one.

Now quite honestly I appreciate all the input you guys have giving me, but I have already thought about most of the stuff you have been putting out. that's how I came up with this ridiculous idea.

Tell you what if I could just get a personal opinion on how each setup will sound Ill get out of your hair. forget about the location for everything but just think how will 4 6" ported sound? Will they lack the low end rumble or does the quantity and total air movement make up for that? Will two slim floor facing subs sound even better? should they be ported or sealed? These are the types of questions I really want answered. Ill figure everything else out

And even easier than the write up you could just pick one of the options on the poll that you think is better than the rest on there

Last edited by M_South_Afrikanna; 09-10-2013 at 10:36 AM.