E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #21
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
The Lincoln is little more than a premium priced Ford Fusion without its cheaper stablemate's good looks. The Lexus is a very good car, but when will somebody let the Lexus styling department know that we can all see that the emperor has no clothes (or really ugly ones)?
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #22
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Loaded Passat TDI, never have to stop for fuel
Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #23
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
Re: $600/Month car allowance for work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardarwin01 View Post
How about a evo or wrx sti or.... I know a Acura TL

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
An evo or sti aren't really cars that would be considered acceptable for taking clients out in at most businesses.

OP, when you say $600/month are you talking lease or purchase? I'm assuming a purchase since a lease with that mileage allowance will be pretty rare. Also assuming they aren't giving any money for a down payment and that they are giving you an allowance and not paying the car for you. If they are just giving you an allowance, keep in mind that you will still be making a car payment in 3 years even if you're not working there. you don't want to end up under water by purchasing an expensive vehicle.

If this was my choice I would get something that could be paid off within ~4 years. That givesyou about $28k out the door to spend. Get something reliable but not bland. The New Mazda 6 is a good choice. if your considering a Lexus or Tahoe etc., just keep in mind you will have to contribute a significant amount of money yourself, or your going to need a 7 year loan and will be paying for the maintenance on a car with 100k+ miles for 3-4 years. The smart thing to do is get an affordable car that you can pay off and replace one it gets slightly over 100k miles, that will give you decent value on trade in.

Edit: $600/month is not a lot of money to purchase a car with if you aren't making a down payment (which I wouldn't do on a company car) so a jaguar or Lexus really isn't feasible unless they are offering 10 year loans or something. Not sure why people are suggesting these vehicles, even a low mileage lease is out of range, much less the 30k miles a year he will be driving.

Last edited by tachi1247; 09-11-2013 at 10:20 AM.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #24
jackyboym3

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
Its an allowance, I leaning toward a TDi Passat. I just have never driven one and Im sure they are not exactly fun to drive either.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #25
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyboym3 View Post
Its an allowance, I leaning toward a TDi Passat. I just have never driven one and Im sure they are not exactly fun to drive either.
That would be a good choice. Vw warranty is kind of short though. After more thought, I would probably get a kia optima or Hyundai sante fe sport suv for the 100k mile warranty. That way you can pay it off and get something new every 4 years and you know you won't have any major repair bills in the mean time.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #26
tachi1247

The passat will be more fun than say a Camry, but not like a BMW or anything that is really fun. The diesel will also provide plenty of torque so it will feel faster under normal driving than it really is.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #27
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
$600/Month car allowance for work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk56 View Post
The Lincoln is little more than a premium priced Ford Fusion without its cheaper stablemate's good looks. The Lexus is a very good car, but when will somebody let the Lexus styling department know that we can all see that the emperor has no clothes (or really ugly ones)?
Have you driven an MKZ? It's a nice ride.

I'd also highly recommend a new SHO.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #28
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Brother in law has a new 535. It's nice.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #29
Chrsb5

My Ride: 2004 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyboym3 View Post
Back in January we bought my wife a 2013 Jetta TDI with a 6 speed manual. While it isn't "fun" to drive like a powerful RWD car, it has a massive amount of low end grunt and feels downright quick between 60-90
Mph on the highway. Body roll isn't as bad as I thought it would be either and it eats highway miles returning close to 50mpg on average. Downsides, the electric power steering is way over boosted and especially compared to a 3 series it's pretty numb.
We test drove the Passat in TDI form, its certainty a classier, more upmarket feeling car than the Jetta. Give one a drive, I certainly wouldn't complain about DDing it, especially on someone's else's tab.

Chrsb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #30
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
If you already have an M3 (high performance road car) then why would you get another road car? I'd be looking for something AWD, with ground clearance, capable of towing something and with lots of space. X5. 4runner is also a good suggestion.
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #31
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Brother in law has a new 535. It's nice.
I'm sure it is, it also cost double what the OP's allowance is.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #32
linom3

My Ride: M3
another vote for a mazda 3! nice car.
linom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #33
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
If you already have an M3 (high performance road car) then why would you get another road car? I'd be looking for something AWD, with ground clearance, capable of towing something and with lots of space. X5. 4runner is also a good suggestion.
Personally I would stay away from a body on frame truck (4runner). They aren't fuel efficient at all, and they aren't particularly comfortable for gobbling up tons of highway miles.

Just because the company is paying for the gas, don't think that they won't notice and/or judge you on the fact that you might be costing them twice as much in gas as someone who chose a different vehicle.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #34
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
Personally I would stay away from a body on frame truck (4runner). They aren't fuel efficient at all, and they aren't particularly comfortable for gobbling up tons of highway miles.

Just because the company is paying for the gas, don't think that they won't notice and/or judge you on the fact that you might be costing them twice as much in gas as someone who chose a different vehicle.

Diesel X5 then. As fuel efficient as your 330.
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #35
helmutm3

My Ride: 04 m3
Almost brand new Buick Regal GS with 2.0 turbo with a 6 spd manual trans . Fun to drive, good on gas and very good presence, especially if you have to make shirt and tie appearances or lunch with clients.

Last edited by helmutm3; 09-11-2013 at 01:27 PM.
helmutm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #36
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
Diesel X5 then. As fuel efficient as your 330.
Diesel x5 definitely gets good mpg, but it costs double the allowance OP gets. Even buying a well used one is going to eat up all of his allowance and he is going to be stuck paying for maintenance on a 150k+ mile BMW.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #37
Imanewbie

My Ride: is my crack.

I am very upset over these recommendations, this is e46 fanatics and someone who recommends anything Japanese isn't a true fanatic.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #38
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanewbie View Post
I am very upset over these recommendations, this is e46 fanatics and someone who recommends anything Japanese isn't a true fanatic.

Did you read the entire thread? The only german cars in the price range provided by the company will be a VW. Every e46 model is too old per the guidelines he was given so I'm not sure what you are implying with your comment.

OP already has an M3 so I"m betting he doesn't want to spend whatever free time he has doing DIY maintenance/repairs on a company 5 series for the next 6 years.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #39
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
If you don't want to be upside down after 2 years, and don't want to make a substantial down payment, you should look at certified pre-owned vehicles. You get an extended warranty, and much of the initial depreciation has already fallen on the first owner. Keep in mind that 30K miles per year will serve to substantially reduce resale value even under the best of circumstances.

Without knowing what kind of business you are in, or the type of clientele that you will be carrying with you in your car, it will be impossible to advise you about the type of car to select. If you are in contracting or construction, a 4X4 makes perfect sense. If you are hauling businessmen and businesswomen in suits (or dresses and heels) or older people, stepping up into a truck is little better than forcing them to squeeze down into a Lotus.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #40
Imanewbie

My Ride: is my crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
Did you read the entire thread? The only german cars in the price range provided by the company will be a VW. Every e46 model is too old per the guidelines he was given so I'm not sure what you are implying with your comment.

OP already has an M3 so I"m betting he doesn't want to spend whatever free time he has doing DIY maintenance/repairs on a company 5 series for the next 6 years.
I didn't say VW btw, I said any *** car. VW is twice the car to dive vs any made in Japan. I would assume op wants some kind of pleasurable driving car and I'm sorry Japan can't offer that.