E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #41
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
Re: $600/Month car allowance for work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanewbie View Post
I didn't say VW btw, I said any *** car. VW is twice the car to dive vs any made in Japan. I would assume op wants some kind of pleasurable driving car and I'm sorry Japan can't offer that.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I realize you didn't say vw, but what brand are you saying he should buy? Based on your comment I assumed you were implying he should buy German, but they are all too expensive except for vw.

On a side topic, you must not be driving the right Japanese cars. Sure a Camry is awful but a g37 isn't. Neither is a Lexus isf or several of the offerings from Mazda. They are certainly better than most of the offerings from the American manufacturers.

Edit: you also haven't driven vw products lately either. Other than the gli models, the jetta and passat are pretty uninspiring in their current form. Vw cheaped out on the suspension to cut costs as part of their plan to take over the world...

Last edited by tachi1247; 09-11-2013 at 02:43 PM.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #42
Bisdak3

My Ride: Old old 3
use your M3 and set aside that $600 for maintenance
Bisdak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #43
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
$600/Month car allowance for work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanewbie View Post
I didn't say VW btw, I said any *** car. VW is twice the car to dive vs any made in Japan. I would assume op wants some kind of pleasurable driving car and I'm sorry Japan can't offer that.

If I google "fanboy", will your picture pop up?

Old 09-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #44
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
I realize you didn't say vw, but what brand are you saying he should buy? Based on your comment I assumed you were implying he should buy German, but they are all too expensive except for vw.

On a side topic, you must not be driving the right Japanese cars. Sure a Camry is awful but a g37 isn't. Neither is a Lexus isf or several of the offerings from Mazda. They are certainly better than most of the offerings from the American manufacturers.

Have you driven a Ford lately?

Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #45
tachi1247

The focus rs is a good car, but like an evo or sti probably isn't the car you want to be taking clients to lunch in.

The new fusion is ok, better than a Malibu, but definitely not a standout in terms of vehicle dynamics.

And all the ecoboost engines under perform compared to the competition. They return slower acceleration and worse real world fuel economy compared to their larger displacement NA competition. They look good on paper, but that is about it.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #46
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
The focus rs is a good car, but like an evo or sti probably isn't the car you want to be taking clients to lunch in.

The new fusion is ok, better than a Malibu, but definitely not a standout in terms of vehicle dynamics.

And all the ecoboost engines under perform compared to the competition. They return slower acceleration and worse real world fuel economy compared to their larger displacement NA competition. They look good on paper, but that is about it.

Drive a Taurus limited or SHO. Excellent comfort, good looking car. And he SHO has enough power to make you smile.

The focus is definitely not a car to take clients around in, and the fusion isn't much better (its still nice, lots of amenities for a price far less than most anything German or Japanese luxury, which seem to be favs).

If you want the luxury model, again, go drive an MKZ. You won't be disappointed by it. Keep in mind, OP, if you're driving clients around and need them to be impressed, you don't need a sports car, you need something they'll be comfortable in. The Taurus in a good trim level is exactly that.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #47
NOVAbimmer

An important consideration is going to be front and rear leg and headroom, something that VW just does not provide.

May also check out an Edge. I (6'2" 200lbs) can sit in any seat in ours and not feel cramped, even in the back with the front seat all the way back. Sitting in the front, I have plenty of room for my legs, I don't feel like I'm sitting in a small vehicle, which is something I didn't get in the Toyota/Lexus, GMC, Honda, or Volvo.

I couldn't sit in the passenger seat of the 330i because I felt claustrophobic there. And the backseat was right out.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #48
NOVAbimmer

As a company-provided car that clients see, you also don't want something that screams "we spend a ton of money on cars". Unless your company is known for expensive tastes, clients expect their money to go to production, not decoration.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #49
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Drive a Taurus limited or SHO. Excellent comfort, good looking car. And he SHO has enough power to make you smile.

The focus is definitely not a car to take clients around in, and the fusion isn't much better (its still nice, lots of amenities for a price far less than most anything German or Japanese luxury, which seem to be favs).

If you want the luxury model, again, go drive an MKZ. You won't be disappointed by it. Keep in mind, OP, if you're driving clients around and need them to be impressed, you don't need a sports car, you need something they'll be comfortable in. The Taurus in a good trim level is exactly that.

I haven't driven the Taurus so I can't speak to how it drives, but a sho starts at 40k so that is way more than 600/month unless he did a long term loan. Since he will be putting so many miles on the car he will be way underwater after a few years so long term loans are not his friend.

I don't think op said he will be driving clients a lot either so a tighter fitting back seat isn't necessarily a huge problem, as long as people can fit for short distances. As long as he isn't showing up in some boy racer car I'm sure any sedan will be adequate from a client perspective.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #50
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
As a company-provided car that clients see, you also don't want something that screams "we spend a ton of money on cars". Unless your company is known for expensive tastes, clients expect their money to go to production, not decoration.

Good point. Middle class is what you should be shooting for. It looks good both to your company that you made a reasonably responsible choice and to your clients that the price they are paying isn't going towards paying you a 40% commission.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #51
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Lexus IS-F!

I'd say M3 but you already have one. Get it in a low key color and people will think it's an ordinary $299 a month IS250.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #52
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Lexus IS-F!

I'd say M3 but you already have one. Get it in a low key color and people will think it's an ordinary $299 a month IS250.
Lol. With a $20k down payment this will come in right on budget.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #53
jackyboym3

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3
Quote:
Lol. With a $20k down payment this will come in right on budget.

haha, I will be taking clients to lunch pretty regularly but Im not sure i need to have S class leg room. I currently work for BMW so I could get a great deal on one around 4% back of invoice. I just think it sends all the wrong signals. Im the youngest guy in my position @ 24.

I think Infinity would be nice Ive like them for a Japanese company, I agree with the Op that VW has lost its flavor except for the R or the GLI that Jalopnik.com reviewed.

Tauras is a viable option, Infinity anything, Im ruling out the Tahoe sadly , mazda possibly, does Honda have anything worth mentioning what about a Accord? yikes never thought I would say that...

This really is helping and I appreciate everyones help I trust this communities opinions.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #54
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyboym3 View Post
haha, I will be taking clients to lunch pretty regularly but Im not sure i need to have S class leg room. I currently work for BMW so I could get a great deal on one around 4% back of invoice. I just think it sends all the wrong signals. Im the youngest guy in my position @ 24.

I think Infinity would be nice Ive like them for a Japanese company, I agree with the Op that VW has lost its flavor except for the R or the GLI that Jalopnik.com reviewed.

Tauras is a viable option, Infinity anything, Im ruling out the Tahoe sadly , mazda possibly, does Honda have anything worth mentioning what about a Accord? yikes never thought I would say that...

This really is helping and I appreciate everyones help I trust this communities opinions.
The new accord is a solid car and more fun to drive than a Camry but nothing exciting.

Really you need to decide how much you want to spend. You could get a 6 year loan or a 3 year loan. Longer loan means you'll be driving a nice car, but it will end up being older and very high mileage by the time it is paid off. Conversely, you could get a new mid level accord or similar every 4 years and hopefully avoid the maintenance and repaid that come with owning a car over 100k+ miles.

Sent from my hp touchpad using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #55
helmutm3

My Ride: 04 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyboym3 View Post

Trust me. If you are considering an Accord, Kia nowadays beats them hands down. If you havn't checked out the GDI Optima, you should. The interior is amazing as far as non German cars go.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #56
knopdm

My Ride: 2002 e46 M3
how about a used Audi S4 2010 or newer. 4 doors, comfortable, fun to drive especially with a tune.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #57
mark2727

My Ride: 2001 BMW M3 Vert
How about a Cadillac CTS? Can't do a V, but you can get a reasonably powerful 6cyl RWD 4-door sedan with a manual transmission, even an AWD option. I've seen 2010 models in the 20-25k range on Autotrader.

Audi S4 also a very solid choice.

Last edited by mark2727; 09-12-2013 at 12:33 AM.
mark2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #58
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI

Anything diesel.

zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #59
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
535i Wagon

or

Used CTS-V wagon if can be had in price range.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #60
qthegenius

My Ride: E36 M3, E46 323i
I like the Lexus GS option. Or if you're doing a ton of driving, the Ford Fusion (even the hybrid) is pretty awesome. The Ford Taurus gets shitty gas mileage.