E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 02:06 AM   #61
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
$600/Month car allowance for work

E90 ///M?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #62
wilsel

My Ride: 05 AW M3 ZCP
30k miles a year is a lot of driving. I would not want something too small, and would want a V6. Driving a small 4cyl car on the highway for long periods is taxing. I would shoot for a midsize comfortable car with a V6. My wife's previous TL is the only car I could imagine driving that much per year, but I'm not a fan of the styling on the newer ones. Someone else mentioned a Taurus. I recently had one as a rental. Couldn't wait to turn it in.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #63
choxor

My Ride: JDM
TSX is nice, too. Interior's got a lot of plastic in it, but it's not a bad place to be. Tech's good, ride's good. Power's not terrible. Fairly roomy with good trunk space.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #64
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
Re: $600/Month car allowance for work

Tsx is a good car, but I'd take a brand new accord which was redesigned for this year over a tsx which is at the end of its model life.

Either that or an optima turbo which would be under warranty for most of the time it takes to pay the loan. With as dependent as you are going to be on a car for this job, I don't think you can underestimate the value of being able to drive into the dealer and have them fix whatever may be wrong. A used Bmw or Audi will be nicer and more fun, but when something breaks you probably won't be able to put off the repair for a week until you have time to DIY....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BimmerApp mobile app
tachi1247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #65
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanewbie View Post
I didn't say VW btw, I said any *** car. VW is twice the car to dive vs any made in Japan. I would assume op wants some kind of pleasurable driving car and I'm sorry Japan can't offer that.

As mark Twain once said, it is better to remain silent and have the world think you a fool than to open your mouth and erase all doubt. What a bunch of baloney. You tarnish all Japanese cars with such a broad statement, and fail to recognize that some very good enthusiast cars have come out of Japan. The current Subaru WRX-STi, the BRZ twins (Subaru and Toyota), the Mazda Miata are all excellent cars at reasonable prices, while the Nissan GT-R and Lexus LFA offer tremendous performance and handling, albeit at a premium price in the case of the Lexus. The Honda S2000 and Acura NSX were superb, as well, as were the Mitsubishi Evo's and most of the Mazda RX-7's. You are probably too young to remember the original Datsun 240Z, which offered E-Type Jaguar performance and better than E-Type handling for $3,500. The 240Z offered a 2.4 litre 150bhp overhead cam inline 6 and fully independent suspension. At the time, its competition from Europe consisted of cars like the MGB, with an emissions-limited, wheezing 90bhp 4 banger with pushrods and a coal cart live rear axle, the Triumph TR-6 (which actually cost more) with a whopping 106bhp out of its 2.5 litre OHV 6 cylinder and a poorly designed independent rear grafted onto a frame that was designed for a live rear axle (the half shafts ran on top of the frame rails), and the Fiat 124 Coupe and Spider, with a twin cam inline 4 making about 110bhp, but still saddled with a live rear axle. The Fiat was more expensive as well. None of the European competitors could come close to the 240Z's 8.5 second naught to 60 time (the MGB took over 13 seconds, while the TR-6 and 124 took between 11 and 12.5 seconds), match its 125 mph top speed (they could barely reach 110 mph), or match its handling.

Let's not forget that even mighty BMW was making 3-wheeled Isettas in the 1950's and that it was this imaginary European superiority that came up with such idiotic conveyances as the Reliant Robin and Renault 12.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #66
330Lover_

My Ride: 2001 330i bk/bk step
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBizzo88 View Post
E90 ///M?

+1 for $600 lease!

01' 330i, step, bk/bk, moon, xenon, cd, 18x8 ASA AR1, 225/40/18 all around, Koni Yellow shock, Eibach Pro-spring, Axxis brake pads, 20mm rear spacers
330Lover_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #67
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
There are two issues regarding leasing an e90 M3. The first is that a $600 lease payment is unlikely to get him into a new M3. The second is that most leases allow no more than 12,000 miles per year, and penalize excess mileage with a hefty per mile surcharge. Running 30K miles a year will result in an excess mileage charge for 54,000 miles after 3 years, and even if the charge is only 10 cents per mile (they are usually higher), he will face a $5,400 charge when he turns in the car. Moreover, he will be paying out of pocket for repairs once the warranty expires as a result of the high mileage. Also remember that the included service expires at 60,000 miles, so he will be paying for routine service as well.

Last edited by DSilk56; 09-13-2013 at 09:16 AM.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #68
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk56 View Post
There are two issues regarding leasing an e90 M3. The first is that a $600 lease payment is unlikely to get him into a new M3. The second is that most leases allow no more than 12,000 miles per year, and penalize excess mileage with a hefty per mile surcharge. Running 30K miles a year will result in an excess mileage charge for 54,000 miles after 3 years, and even if the charge is only 10 cents per mile (they are usually higher), he will face a $5,400 charge when he turns in the car. Moreover, he will be paying out of pocket for repairs once the warranty expires as a result of the high mileage. Also remember that the included service expires at 60,000 miles, so he will be paying for routine service as well.
Finally someone else with common sense. A lease isn't an option with add many miles as OP is talking about. Also, any new or used German car besides a vw is going to be either out of the price range, very expensive to maintain, or likely both.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #69
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
Finally someone else with common sense. A lease isn't an option with add many miles as OP is talking about. Also, any new or used German car besides a vw is going to be either out of the price range, very expensive to maintain, or likely both.

It might work with leasing a 320i base model if he can keep the base payment around $300/mo and pre purchase the extra miles. $0.16/mile for an extra 20k a year is $3200, or $266/mo. Depends probably on whether he has cash to take advantage of the money factor discount by maxing out MSD's, can get a minimal or 0 down payment and how high the taxes are in his area. It would be doable for someone with good credit, cash for the security deposit and low or no sales tax.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #70
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
It might work with leasing a 320i base model if he can keep the base payment around $300/mo and pre purchase the extra miles. $0.16/mile for an extra 20k a year is $3200, or $266/mo. Depends probably on whether he has cash to take advantage of the money factor discount by maxing out MSD's, can get a minimal or 0 down payment and how high the taxes are in his area. It would be doable for someone with good credit, cash for the security deposit and low or no sales tax.

Maybe it would work, but I have a feeling he won't be able to get a decent rate on the lease or the mileage if they know in advance he plans on tripling the allowance. A BMW with 90k miles on it coming off the lease is going to have a terrible residual. No dealership wants that car.

And he will still have to pay for the maintenance, after the first year and a half.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #71
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796

Can't really have this discussion without mentioning the Chevy Impala, one of the highest rated cars ever in CR

Old 09-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #72
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Can't really have this discussion without mentioning the Chevy Impala, one of the highest rated cars ever in CR

It's going to take more than consumer reports spending a week or whatever with it to change my opinion of what has been an absolutely terrible car for the last 20 years. Also, consumer reports standards and things they look for are vastly different than most enthusiasts. If motor trend and car & driver start to say positive things then I will listen.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #73
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
It's going to take more than consumer reports spending a week or whatever with it to change my opinion of what has been an absolutely terrible car for the last 20 years. Also, consumer reports standards and things they look for are vastly different than most enthusiasts. If motor trend and car & driver start to say positive things then I will listen.

I didn't say it was the clear winner, I said it needed consideration.

But the fact that they rated it higher than anything anyone has mentioned, almost as high as a tesla S (with zero history), and their long-standing reputation as fair and honest reporting, leaving it off the list simply because this is E46F and we don't like American cars is a poor choice.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #74
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
535i Wagon

or

Used CTS-V wagon if can be had in price range.
+1 on the CTS V I also like the Infinity M35X it's really comfy and a used one can be had that price range
Old 09-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #75
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpiabota809 View Post
+1 on the CTS V I also like the Infinity M35X it's really comfy and a used one can be had that price range
Think about gas. Yes, the company is covering it, but when budget cuts come, your outrageous gas bill compared to everyone else will look bad.

And again, company car in America. In Germany, no problem with a BMW. In America, unless your company makes its name on expensive tastes, customers want production, not decoration.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #76
tachi1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I didn't say it was the clear winner, I said it needed consideration.

But the fact that they rated it higher than anything anyone has mentioned, almost as high as a tesla S (with zero history), and their long-standing reputation as fair and honest reporting, leaving it off the list simply because this is E46F and we don't like American cars is a poor choice.

Agreed. If I was seriously in the market for that kind of vehicle and I was going to be driving as much as OP will I would take it for a test drive. 30k miles is a lot of driving so what qualities one may like in their bmw may not be so good for that much driving. A softer suspension in particular may be kind of nice, or at least keep your rear end from falling asleep on long drives.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #77
NOVAbimmer

OP, have you asked or seen what kinds of cars other people in your position are getting with their allowances?

Old 09-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #78
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
You're right, most clients would overlook a wagon though IMO but I see what you are saying. Maybe something less gas guzzling than a CTS V, the Malibu isn't a bad choice

Last edited by limpiabota809; 09-13-2013 at 06:07 PM.
limpiabota809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #79
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
You're right, most clients would overlook a wagon though IMO but I see what you are saying. Maybe something less gas guzzling than a CTS V, the Malibu isn't a bad choice
They'll see Cadillac. And I assume OP will keep it looking nice, so they'll see "new Cadillac". Those who know will see the V and know they're looking at an expensive car.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #80
tachi1247

Quote:
Of all the mid size sedan offerings out there, the Malibu would be dead last on my list. There isn't one thing it does better than its competition. Even Chevy knows it, which is why they did an emergency refresh after one year on the market. Mazda 6, fusion, passat, accord, even Volvo s60 would be better.

In fact, a base s60 t5 would come in right near the top of the budget, looks and drives well, has a reasonable rear seat, is very nice, but not a true luxury vehicle like a bmw or Audi. I would definitely give that a test drive as I've only read positive things from everyone doing long term tests. I believe maintenance is included for several years as well.

Last edited by tachi1247; 09-13-2013 at 06:49 PM.