E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
grapaslingo

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Need advice: Factory NAV and HK system replacement

Hi guys,

After prowling around and reading through countless forums, I'm still stuck. I just purchased a 2000 328Ci with a Factory Nav and HK system. I can't stand the factory system and want to replace it. I'd love to get something that replicates the features in my previous car: navigation, bluetooth phone/audio streaming, aux in, etc. But I'm stuck as to the best/most cost-effective solution that will not give me nightmares trying to install.

Here are my priorities, in order:
  1. Bluetooth phone/audio
  2. Price/Affordability
  3. Aux in
  4. Navigation
  5. iPhone integration
  6. Steering wheel controls
  7. Easy installation
  8. ....(way last) Stock appearance

I've looked at the Dynavin system, and while I know it's probably the best bang for the buck, it's still too much buck for me. I'm looking to spend between 400-500 total. I've looked at the Eonon and other clones, but they scare me off too. It seems like they have too many issues to deal with right now. I've looked at the Parrot Asteroid Smart, but I can't figure out how much of a pain to install it might be in my car. I have not seriously looked at standard single-din or double-din systems. I could give up Nav as a feature if there was something that was really great and would be a breeze to install and save me a ton of money.

Do any of you guys who have replaced the factory Nav system (with HK) have anything you are really happy with you could recommend to me? Any tips you might provide?

Thanks!
grapaslingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
DrZoom

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
The Eonon will meet your objectives as long as you don't mind dealing with the tight antenna and iPod connections for LHD cars. The one other thing to understand is the business model is manufacturer direct so you will probably pay return shipping if you have an issue and updates/upgrades are unlikely or charged for if they exist. The Eonon is a valid option (in my opinion) because of the support available here to sort out the units quirks.

I waited a long time before deciding on the D5150. I waited until the V2 Canbus was available since I had monitored the other issues and was comfortable they could be overcome.
DrZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
grapaslingo

Thanks. Did you replace your factory Nav with the Eonon?
Old 09-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
DrZoom

No. I had the Business CD radio so plug and play.

Eonon now sells the extension harness which I believe is required for cars with factory Navigation but it would be better to hear from someone who has done this.

http://www.eonon.com/searchResulter....r=1&txtKey=BMW
Old 09-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
You are going to have to compromise somewhere.....you cant have everything you want, and no headaches, and an easy install, and be $400. The dynavins been done thousands of times, is as easy as its going to get, but is going to cost you $700 +/-. WAY cheaper than most of the options you threw out there, and WAY easier to install, but higher than your price point. You can get a cheap knock off for less money but be prepared to have issues and no support.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 09-11-2013 at 03:58 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
grapaslingo

That's what I suspect, Jeff... But I'm blanching at the price.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
J&T Distributing

well.....its all relative, and its all about what compromises you want to make.

OEM parts will cost you a couple thousand dollars and the tech will be 10 years old and not do what you want.

A conventional double din will require cutting the airbox, a $250 kit, and probably 8 hours of labor....also pretty expensive.

A single din a basic dash kit will look crappy but will get you some of the features you want but will still be labor intensive to install as you will need to basically custom wire the entire thing since you have a nav car.....and convert your dash to a non nav single din unit style, so even though the stereo itself would be cheap, it would still end up being pretty expensive and time consuming.

knock off Chinese unit, probably the cheapest option all in, but no support, known issues, being sold by a company with a pretty bad rep on some of the other forums and an unsustainable business model meaning if you have any trouble up front OR down the road, tough luck, enjoy your paperweight.

Dynavins are popular in this community not because they are the "BEST!", but because most people here find they are a "best compromise" between features, looks, installation, support, and price. Look in depth at the other options and I think you will find its going to cost you a good amount of money no matter which way you go.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 09-11-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
DrZoom

It comes down to value. The Eonon D5150 delivers a lot of value at the price.

The group buy price is $344 delivered with Navigation Map. Add the cost of a right angle antenna connection ($10) and an extra 15 minutes installation time to deal with the tight fit. As you know, the units have been shipping for about a month with the Canbus V2 which resolved the random input selection issues.

Seems like a reasonable alternative in my mind.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
J&T Distributing

Read the threads carefully, look at how their other group buy threads have gone, I understand the allure of a low price....but just because something is cheap does not make it a good value....this same scenario has played out multiple times on these forums over the last few years, first it was hualingan, then enco, now eonon, this is not something new, but by all means spend your money how you like but you have been warned. Ill leave it at that.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 09-11-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
My advice would be to continue to save towards either a Dynavin, or if you're mechanically inclined for a full install, that too. The Dynavin is going to be simply the easiest to integrate and will pretty much have everything you need. If you go Double-din, you're going to likely end up not only spending more in the end, but also it won't look nearly as stock-ish, and will require a lot more time/effort to do so, plus hacking into the car. You might be able to find someone selling a used setup (just keep an eye on the classifieds), but you're still looking at the install part of it. The Dynavin is just..unplug old, plug in new, and...yeah. Worst case, you need a different bracket, but you'd be a lot farther ahead. But if you like to delve into the bowels of the dash, and all that sort of thing, then save up for something else. But either way, save up a couple hundred more before making a decision. Worst case, you go Eonon and you have money left over. Best case, you go Dynavin/other, and are happy as well, without compromise.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
DrZoom

Everyone has to consider the options and determine which is the best for their particular situation.

If you don't mind a couple of headaches and understand the support tradeoffs, the Eonon is a GOOD VALUE at $344.

If you are willing to spend more for support and a cleaner install than the Dynavin is also a GOOD VALUE at $689.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
grapaslingo

Thanks for the advice, guys. Greatly appreciated.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #13
Micah D. Cranman
Sponsor

My Ride: '03 ZHP
Alternatively, you can keep the stock head unit and integrate the technology into that with something like the SoundPlicity Control III, which does everything you've mentioned except nav (but since it pairs with any Bluetooth capable phone, you can just use Google Maps and be better off anyway):

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...n-Control-III/

Lower price than all other alternatives ($269.99 with free shipping), backed with our support and 1 year warranty, and if you're not totally happy, send it back within 30 days and get one of the nav units mentioned.

Also 10% off until Sep. 30. Enter 10OFFSEP at checkout. $243 out the door.

Just thought I'd mention it.

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Micah D. Cranman is offline   Reply With Quote