E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
GiveMeAcookie

My Ride: my girl
Common problems with Verts?

Hey friends, what are some of the most common problems on a convertible?
and what specific year?
GiveMeAcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3

Old 09-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
trivium630

My Ride: 2003 325i

Top is missing

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
trivium630 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
patrickmurray2

My Ride: 2005 bmw 330i e46

I've heard from various people that the top squeaks a little when driving I myself have never ridden in a e46 vert but I'm looking at a couple m3 verts I live in Cali and it would be nice to have a vert and a hard top, but that won't be for another year or two, I've also seen a couple threads on here where the get stuck when closing, opening or vice verse, try to find some on here or on try google

patrickmurray2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
E46 is a solid vert, no real "common issues" exclusive to those vs. other E46s... they are essentially the same car, with infrastructure mods to support the top. Some experience minor top up/top down issues when parts wear, but most have DIY fixes.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
FryGuy

My Ride: 2001 325Cic w/ B30
if you're looking at 325 drop tops make sure it has the automatic top. A manual top was standard and you had to pay money for the power one.

within one month of ownership (2001 with 112K miles), both of the hinge covers had broken themselves, which affects the top 0% but now with the top down I have 2 square holes where there should be nothing.
but other than that not bad for a 12 year old vert.
FryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
^If you don't want problems with the automatic top, get the 325 with the manual top. I bought mine with the 2 square holes open, but it's a simple fix; costs about $16 for the parts. The part number changed in 9/2003 production, but is either 51437147719/51437147720 (right and left for earlier models) or 51438163692 (tension spring) and 51437029018 (push rod) for cars built in 9/2003 or later. The push rod and spring can be installed on either side of the car.

I'd much rather know that the top operator (me) will get the top up and down when required.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
If you have chosen well and keep it clean, one common problem is being approached when getting gas or when parking in a public area with people telling you how nice the car looks and thinking it's new. Oh and another thing is, with the top down, your hair may get a little mused up and the grin on your face may be difficult to remove. But if you are strong you may survive these little problems.
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
avneet

My Ride: 2001 330ci Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'd out View Post
If you have chosen well and keep it clean, one common problem is being approached when getting gas or when parking in a public area with people telling you how nice the car looks and thinking it's new. Oh and another thing is, with the top down, your hair may get a little mused up and the grin on your face may be difficult to remove. But if you are strong you may survive these little problems.
This is quite a tough problem to over come. I still have issues with this after 7 years of owning mine

Last edited by avneet; 10-02-2013 at 08:51 PM.
avneet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:31 AM   #10
FooFighter94

My Ride: 2001 325Cic
I would say the most common problem I have seen is the damn batwings.
-Koni Yellows, Otherwise hella stock
FooFighter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #11
FryGuy

My Ride: 2001 325Cic w/ B30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFighter94 View Post
No man the batman ears are a feature, not a promlem!

FryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:36 AM   #12
powbmps

My Ride: 2002 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFighter94 View Post
This would be the only "vert specific" problem I have had. Both of them were broken when I bought it, and there are small tears in the headliner.

The passenger seat squeaks quite a bit when no one is in it (only noticeable when the top is up). Still trying to figure out if I can do anything about that.
powbmps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
a common problem ive seen would be the little plastic covers, either the spring is missing and needs to be replaced, or the actual plastic "door/cover" is gone.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
The glovebox is a problem, or it will be. The $135 latch mechanism will lock you out of both the glovebox and the trunk.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Re: Common problems with Verts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
This would be the only "vert specific" problem I have had. Both of them were broken when I bought it, and there are small tears in the headliner.

The passenger seat squeaks quite a bit when no one is in it (only noticeable when the top is up). Still trying to figure out if I can do anything about that.
My damn passenger seat does the same thing!

Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #16
FooFighter94

My Ride: 2001 325Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
The glovebox is a problem, or it will be. The $135 latch mechanism will lock you out of both the glovebox and the trunk.
Mine was broken when I inherited my car as well, I took the mechanism apart and the white little "peg" was broken off. I replaced it with a screw that fits inside the groove and that was over a year ago. The electronic feature which locks the trunk no longer works but I can at least get into my glovebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningisbad View Post
My damn passenger seat does the same thing!

Mine too
So annoying!
Also my driver side sun visor rattles CONSTANTLY. It is most noticeable with the top up as with the top down, it doesn't contact the roof.
-Koni Yellows, Otherwise hella stock
FooFighter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
330ci05

My Ride: 330ci
Put the top down. It will stop squeaking. Works everytime.
330ci05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Yep, main complaint is the squeaking of the roof. My car sounds awesome and no unwanted noises with the top down, but it up and it is a symphony of squeaks and rattles. I have determined most of the noise is coming from where the windows meet the roof so I am going to work on that and see if I can't make it a bit better. It is my wife's daily driver so I am not in it enough for it to really bother me.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #19
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Knock on wood, no top squeaks for me. I've heard if you lube where the top and the windows meet, the squeaks go away. There is a thread somewhere about what to use and where to use it.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 10-11-2013 at 12:23 PM.
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Yeah I plan to go at the seam with some cleaner and then maybe wax or gummi phledge. But my window is pretty loose in the carrier as well, it rattles when you open the door or close it. I found a few threads on tightening that up so I am gonna give that a shot this weekend.