E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #41
ApolloTheGod

My Ride: E92, E46, E36, Caddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlag96 View Post
OK let's not get sidetracked into a parting thread. Swap Swap Swap!!!

Haha well there ain't gonna be much original equipment left of it when you're done with it lol
Regarding the swap I have just fully stripped the entire e92. I have a guy who wants the chassis for a racecar. I hope he enjoys an E46 front subframe. I have to remove a couple more electric modules from behind the dash and disconnect the motor from the harness and fuel lines. I am waiting on new turbo seals and downpipes to come in before I even think about swapping this baby. The moment this motor drops in it wont have any room to make repairs so this has to be done before the swap. I will have the E46 side by side with the e92 tonight to begin stripping the E46. My work area is covered with car parts. So one of the most awkward things I discovered while stripping the E92 was finding a female sex toy pressed in between the two layers of carpet under the passenger seat.

I had a closer look a t the E46 I bought last night and my god its even worse than I thought. It was spray painted

Last edited by ApolloTheGod; 09-18-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #42
pyro225

My Ride: 328ci
would it be possible to swap an e92 335d engine into e46 as looking at this
Old 09-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #43
wshgrntd

My Ride: 2007 335i m-sport
wow!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #44
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro225 View Post
would it be possible to swap an e92 335d engine into e46 as looking at this
I am not sure. I have never seen the engine. I will assume the subframe is the same so it will fit. If the block dimensions are the same as the M54/N54 then I am sure it will fit. But this motor will make more power. 850 on stock internals is possible with a supporting turbo

UPDATE!
Some parts just came in today. It is like christmas! I also have a pretty build junk pile building now and that is just from stripping the E92. I still have a whole other car to go through Still tons of E92 parts. I need to catalogue each and throw them up on e90post and ebay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	527141   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0506.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	527142   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0507.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	527143  

Last edited by ApolloTheGod; 09-18-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #45
sunnyjay

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyjay View Post
I will take vanos unit of you are willing to part it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BimmerApp mobile app
i will make sure it fits my m54b30 first and I will let you know. thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #46
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post

I had a closer look a t the E46 I bought last night and my god its even worse than I thought. It was spray painted
There is nothing worse than driving west phoenix rattle can painted BMW in city of Scottsdale.

How is the automatic transmission on that car? I may be interested in the A/T
Old 09-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #47
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyjay View Post
i will make sure it fits my m54b30 first and I will let you know. thanks
Sure thing. The block dimensions are the same but I believe it ends there. find out though
Old 09-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #48
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
There is nothing worse than driving west phoenix rattle can painted BMW in city of Scottsdale.

How is the automatic transmission on that car? I may be interested in the A/T
Oh man, I am not looking forward to this I think I may vinyl wrap it or sand it down to the TiAg and try to polish it
Old 09-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #49
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Oh man, I am not looking forward to this I think I may vinyl wrap it or sand it down to the TiAg and try to polish it
Just stick old weed whacker under the back window then you will be ok with cops
Old 09-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #50
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Just stick old weed whacker under the back window then you will be ok with cops
What if they think I was trimming the weeds around the weed!?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #51
azshorty

My Ride: Hellrot 323CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQuick5156 View Post

High hp is possible...the e46 chassis can hold up.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I took a ride in this car out at Castro motorsports at bfest in pasadena. That car is rediculous!
It made 650 hp on the dyno. Thats rounding it off.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #52
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
So one of the most awkward things I discovered while stripping the E92 was finding a female sex toy pressed in between the two layers of carpet under the passenger seat.
I think this may not be the first swap this e90 has been involved in

Old 09-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #53
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
I think this may not be the first swap this e90 has been involved in

Maybe swapping of some jizz huh?

On the update side of this I have some interesting developments. So intake valves. Heavily deposited intake valves are like having a cold. My car is terribly cold in that case. Ill post pics later but I am using a shop vac with a modified end and a bunch of carb cleaner to blast off all the crap and soak it and suck it all up. I thought cyl 5 was seated but apparently it wasnt so now I need to pull the spark plug and suck the stuff out

Pics will come later

Edit: Pics of the progress! I need more brake cleaner already. dang One of these valves is uncleaned and the other is almost clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0514.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	527323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0515.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	527324  

Last edited by ApolloTheGod; 09-19-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #54
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

There should not be that much carbon deposits on a 2007 engine. Looks like it has weak valve stem seals. Besides this, you said you are using "ethanol" injection, then exhaust valves should be white clean.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #55
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
There should not be that much carbon deposits on a 2007 engine. Looks like it has weak valve stem seals. Besides this, you said you are using "ethanol" injection, then exhaust valves should be white clean.
I used ethanol for the last 20k. However, this engine has a terrible PCV system. The valves look like this by 45k easily. The N54 is a great powerhouse but terrible on longevity as far as carbon goes. Cleaning this is super important

Borrowing my friends engine hoist tomorrow so that I can begin the swap! I am just waiting on turbo seals at this point

Edit: So at this point I have been considering what I am trying to do here and allow me to share with you what that is. I want to set a few world records with the motor even if its trivial stuff.

Fastest 1/4 Mi N54 car. I am going for high 9s here and it may be possible just running meth and e85, but if it isnt achievable I will do a 100 shot and that I know for a fact will net me the times I want. My racing weight in the sedan should be 2800 lbs which is pretty realistic. I am dropping a lot of stuff for that run but normally I will drive gutted with AC, full dash, and my logic 7 speaker setup.

I want to also achieve the highest HP on stock turbos. Its really important to me to do this build at an affordable budget so people can see making 650 crank for a few grand is worth it. I believe the record on stock turbos sits at around 550 crank. I am going to blow that number away hehe

My last record I want to put is 0-60 time. I am going for 2.0 seconds and I believe it will be possible with a gear change in the rear end. Although I would like to set this record on the 362. At the very least the 362 will put down 2.3 times without a problem.

Just some food for thought

Last edited by ApolloTheGod; 09-20-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #56
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Is it safe to wade around in the pool of testosterone that is this thread?

I think I just found a hair growing out of Betsy's intake manifold.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #57
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
Re: N54 Swap into E46

The pure numbers may say you can get close to a 2.3 second run to 60, but I think you're going to have a real hard time getting the car to hook up to hit that number.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #58
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
I recall a thread a couple years back about this being attempted but the thread went dead. I currently need a new racecar as my E92 got totalled and is currently sitting in the back yard being parted out . I have been pretty reluctant to let my motor go in pieces so I have held the entire swap together. I have the entire N54, 6 speed trans, and all the electronics I will. Now, I am sure many of you are super curious as to how the hell all this is going to work. And I am sure many of you are out there thinking about how much work I have cut out for me.

Onto the goodies then. So how is all this going to work. If you guys were unaware the E46 dash is 54.5 inches wide. My E92 dash is 54.7 inches wide. At this point many of you already know exactly where I am going with this. Since the hardest part of this swap will be the electronics, and since this will be the most bare bones, gutted, and light daily you will ever see this swap will be exceptionally easy compared to how difficult it could be. In my E92 I have comfort access, I have my awesome Logic 7 speaker system, I have my gauge cluster (that I need to run JB4), and I have a generally awesome dash and center console setup. It even has a fridge under the armrest if you guys didnt know. So it was an easy call for me to make the measurements and determine the dash is almost a direct drop in. I may or may not have to modify the steering column support. That shouldnt be too hard. But this is the boring stuff. You guys would rather here about the performance I am sure.

In my opinion the N54 is one of the best engines ever designed by BMW. I was able to run 100% E85, 90% meth, with about $1,800 of bolt ons and made 597/612 crank on the best engine pull. I never did a wheel dyno but the record cars that are pushed on the hardest tunes on OEM turbos will get closer to 550 whp. So this netted in a sweet 3.3 second 0-60 (vboxed confirmed) and a sweet 11.3 1/4 mi. And all for $1,800 for the bolt ons. But it did come with challenges. Twisted driveshaft, multiple snapped halfshafts, my subframe cracked the frame of the car and one of the bolts backed out completely. Not to mention the tickets were horrendous That was all in a car with a curb weight of 3,578 lbs. So it was some serious fun, but not enough in my opinion. And after owning three E46s already, a 325, ZHP, and an M3 I can say my favorite car of all time is the ZHP. I wont go into detail there but anyone of you who has had one will attest to that fact. I plan on doing either a Z4 M rack or ZHP rack swap as well. I will be doing the M3 rear end or possibly an E39 subframe and diff that I will fabricate to fit the car. I have done a majority of the measurements involved with this and I must say, this is pretty straight forward. The car will be complete gutted with just essentials. Speakers, AC, and that is about it. Nothing else. And possibly the best part is that the E90 front subframe with the engine will bolt right up. Everything from the suspension to the clearance of the rack and crossmember.

I am local to Scottsdale, AZ 85254 and I am looking for an E46 coupe or sedan chassis by this coming Friday so I can get started on this swap. If any of you guys are local and have one or know of some or are aware of any good auctions with any let me know. I want to get started right away. As long as there isnt too much exterior damage I will get it. It can be the biggest pile in the world and that is totally alright. No swaggons unfortunately because they are too heavy

tl;dr swap is going to be the tits. n54 6 speed in e46 with m3/m5 rear end slammed on 19in m6 wheels running 255/285 making 550 whp and weighing in around 3,100 curb. need chassis!

Here are some pics of the E92 as it sits now. If any of you guys who have E92 need any parts or anything let me know as well
Good luck on the swap but just FYI there's no such thing as a ZHP-specific rack.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #59
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Is it safe to wade around in the pool of testosterone that is this thread?

I think I just found a hair growing out of Betsy's intake manifold.
I think I wont be the only one around here doing an N54 swap when you guys see these numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
The pure numbers may say you can get close to a 2.3 second run to 60, but I think you're going to have a real hard time getting the car to hook up to hit that number.

With 285s and an LSD it will hook just fine. According to my math for 1st gear I will have to slip the clutch and 2nd gear will hook entirely. But I may be off. Its all just speculation at this point. My friend wont be able to bring the lift till tomorrow though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Good luck on the swap but just FYI there's no such thing as a ZHP-specific rack.
I have driven a 330 and a 330 ZHP and I can confirm the racks are different. My ZHP had significantly tighter steering and more feedback. I have decided to use my E92 rack with a smaller steering wheel anyway because the stalks will mount to it without any effort (as its oem obviously)
Old 09-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #60
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:

I have driven a 330 and a 330 ZHP and I can confirm the racks are different. My ZHP had significantly tighter steering and more feedback. I have decided to use my E92 rack with a smaller steering wheel anyway because the stalks will mount to it without any effort (as its oem obviously)
Pay attention to my words carefully: There is no such thing as a ZHP-specific rack. ZHPs may have gotten an upgraded rack, but so did other E46 330 non-ZHP cars. This discussion has been hashed out a while ago. Just clarifying so people don't get the wrong idea that the ZHP has its own rack specific to it only.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Closed Thread