E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #61
ApolloTheGod

My Ride: E92, E46, E36, Caddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Pay attention to my words carefully: There is no such thing as a ZHP-specific rack. ZHPs may have gotten an upgraded rack, but so did other E46 330 non-ZHP cars. This discussion has been hashed out a while ago. Just clarifying so people don't get the wrong idea that the ZHP has its own rack specific to it only.
Ah, I understand now. Thank you for the clarification.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #62
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
Ah, I understand now. Thank you for the clarification.
You want the yellow tag 712 rack. My production date 12/01 MY02 330i has this yellow tag 712 rack which also comes on the ZHP.

According to BMW USA, all E46 330s with a production date of 4/01+ got the upgraded "quicker steering ratio" rack.

Consider the immediate above a Professional Mango Top Tip (PMTT) and a Mango World Exclusive (MWE) with documentation straight from BMW.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #63
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
You want the yellow tag 712 rack. My production date 12/01 MY02 330i has this yellow tag 712 rack which also comes on the ZHP.

According to BMW USA, all E46 330s with a production date of 4/01+ got the upgraded "quicker steering ratio" rack.

Consider the immediate above a Professional Mango Top Tip (PMTT) and a Mango World Exclusive (MWE) with documentation straight from BMW.
I was going to go for that rack until I found out the z4 M coupe had a 12.8:1 rack. I believe I could get close to that ratio with my 13.7:1 rack using a smaller wheel. I think its possible to get close.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #64
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
I was going to go for that rack until I found out the z4 M coupe had a 12.8:1 rack. I believe I could get close to that ratio with my 13.7:1 rack using a smaller wheel. I think its possible to get close.
Keep in mind you might get twitchy handling characteristics with a shorter rack not suited for your suspension setup or wheel base. If you like to go higher speeds, this may cause unwanted high speed handling characteristics.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #65
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Keep in mind you might get twitchy handling characteristics with a shorter rack not suited for your suspension setup or wheel base. If you like to go higher speeds, this may cause unwanted high speed handling characteristics.
My rack is active. So it loosens with speed. I can also customize that quiet a bit
Old 09-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #66
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
I like the the things I'm hearing Apollo. This thing should turn out to be a beast. If you get through the swap without any significant hiccups, I may follow suit shortly. The N54 has a lot of potential

Old 09-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #67
Das Stig

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Re: N54 Swap into E46

I wanted to do this into my old z3 coupe. I mainly just wanted to changethe badge to Z35i. But I wanna do this in my zhp soo badly.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #68
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan Hussein View Post
I like the the things I'm hearing Apollo. This thing should turn out to be a beast. If you get through the swap without any significant hiccups, I may follow suit shortly. The N54 has a lot of potential
Take it from someone who dailyed and N54. After you fix your PCV because you burn a QT a day it becomes much better to drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Stig View Post
I wanted to do this into my old z3 coupe. I mainly just wanted to changethe badge to Z35i. But I wanna do this in my zhp soo badly.
My dream is to eventually put this into a zhp with a full interior and everything so I wont be too far away from doing that if this all works. This is mainly a test for that. I am going to put an S85 into a gutted Z3 coupe like this guy on youtube. its my inspiration
Old 09-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #69
ApolloTheGod

UPDATE 22/9/13

I moved the E46 into the back yard where the swap will be done. I made room by squishing the E92 and E46 together but it is enough work space. I began by taking off the front of the E46 and during that I got bored and decided to head to the interior. The E46 dash didnt come out in one piece as it had some sunrot and decided to shred in a few places. However, I think I just took the first picture of an E92 dash inside an E46. I will confirm once again that this baby will fit in there! only problem right now is that there is a small metal bracket in the way that I need to cut off and then it should just fit right in nice and snug. This is good news guys! It makes me wonder what other dashes fit!

On a side note I did some measuring and confirmed some gruesome stuff. I also checked on the old N54 thread that was started a few years back and I am running into the same problem he did. The shifter wont line up with the hole, so I am thinking about going totally ghetto here. Instead of a custom shifter I am pretty sure I am just going to extend the hole down the tranny tunnel a bit hehe

And yet another side note to add. I may scrap the idea of using an E46 M3 subframe and diff and going with my OEM 308 and E92 subframe actually. It should fit from what I was looking at. The whole rear end will bolt up actually. The shocks will line up with their towers and the subframe will fit under the car perfectly. However I will have to drill new holes and get reinforcement plates out there. But I may look into that because my subframe will handle the power much better

Edit: I keep getting a ton of people telling me how hard the electronics are going to be. I think a lot of people think I plan on keeping the E46 EWS and using the ECU from the N54. that is not the case at all. I am using both from the E92. I will have to cut connecters from the E46 and wire it onto my E92 wiring harness. Obviously I cant have working rear doors because its a coupe harness so there are a few downsides, but this is a racecar afterall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0532.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	527607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0533.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	527608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0534.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	527609  

Last edited by ApolloTheGod; 09-22-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #70
GDubois

My Ride: BMW
The dash, why?

Congratulations.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #71
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubois View Post
The dash, why?
Because at the moment I prefer the E90 dash and I still want to run my logic 7 setup and my e92 gauge cluster as well as AC control etc. So It is easiest to just swap the whole dash so it all mounts up easy and I still get 100% functionality
Old 09-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #72
Mango
A full five stars, son

So basically you are using all the E92 stuff (electronics, computers, wiring, engine etc). just swapping exterior shells to put it simple. So i guess you will hope the wiring fits and you can find places to cleanly mount the wiring and control boxes and stuff?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #73
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
So basically you are using all the E92 stuff (electronics, computers, wiring, engine etc). just swapping exterior shells to put it simple. So i guess you will hope the wiring fits and you can find places to cleanly mount the wiring and control boxes and stuff?
Wiring will fit I know for a fact. Wheel base is the same so length is all good. I drew a diagram and labeled areas of my harness with masking tape just to make it easy. I plan on using this harness in the future again for a ZHP coupe. This is really just a test and to see how long the e46 will hold up honestly. With this power it will go into a wall or up in flames somehow. Anyway, I have figured out where to mount everything so yeah its a simple swap. Much easier than most think it is. The dash is fitting a little tighter. I can do a few mods to the dash shape on the sides and fit it back all the way. If I want to use my radio the E46 heatercore is a no go unfortunately. so I will need to use my E92 one however I have confirmed the E92 heatercore will fit in the same place as the E46 one. And besides mine is a little more high tech So far I had to bend one bracket down and saw one off. That is how I achieved the fitment seen below. And I figured if I use my E92 heatercore all my electronics will have room to tuck away. Oh, and the cup holders will still have room!

I plan to cut the dash in a few discreet spots that wont be seen and you wont be able to tell so this will slide all the way back. I may need to cut another bracket but we will see. Its all pretty easy labor. Hammered one day and just used my sawzaw to get the other hehe

Edit: And to further reinforce the point Mango I will be using a full E92 suspension, brakes, etc. I am leaning towards using the rear subframe to. Its basically an E92 on an E46 chassis. I would rather have the E92 but its FUBAR. So I went with an E46 and I can get it WAY lighter than I ever could get the E92. It should also be worth mentioning how cheap I am going to make this swap. I want this to be something so cheap and so powerful that people will want to do this kind of stuff more often and I want to promote the N54 for the god motor that it is. So far I have spent 2100 on the swap and almost half of that was parts I sold off my engine that you wouldnt need to buy if you bought the whole engine to begin with. Its not too costly I dont think. And the benefits of running a POS black spray painted E46 speak for themselves. My 335 destroyed LP 640s, F430s, 360s, C63s, M3s, M5s, M6s etc so having an E46 with even more power is going to be absolutely nuts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0535.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	527657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	527658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0537.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	527659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0538.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	527660  

Name:	IMG_0540.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	527661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0541.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	527662  

Last edited by ApolloTheGod; 09-22-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #74
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i

This seems like a lot more hassle than it is worth (even if it's as easy as you think it's going to be, which I'd wager it won't be once you get down to the nitty gritty). The rest of the car is going to be gutted correct? So who cares about how well the dash fits. Seems like it would be better to just take the electronics you need and put them into a custom dash setup like a race car which is what this is anyway. You could buy a better stereo than the logic 7 and/or just wire up a different head unit to those speakers and amps which would be a lot less work.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #75
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
This seems like a lot more hassle than it is worth (even if it's as easy as you think it's going to be, which I'd wager it won't be once you get down to the nitty gritty). The rest of the car is going to be gutted correct? So who cares about how well the dash fits. Seems like it would be better to just take the electronics you need and put them into a custom dash setup like a race car which is what this is anyway. You could buy a better stereo than the logic 7 and/or just wire up a different head unit to those speakers and amps which would be a lot less work.

this is going to sound wierd especially for a racecar, but I want this thing to be totally gutted yes, but I want at least once piece of luxury/comfort in my car. And that is a fully functional dash. Radio, AC, cluster, switches, cupholder, etc. Literally everything else will be barebones. It is just the dash I am interested in getting a perfect fit for. The rest I could care less about

Perhaps you know where I am coming from. Perhaps not

And do you know how good Logic 7 is? Ride in a 335 pre facelift coupe. It is guaranteed to have it and let me tell you... it sounds tits.

Last edited by ApolloTheGod; 09-22-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #76
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
What was the whole point of going to E46 with this? Did I miss something? You could of fixed the wrecked part of the E92 and just gut the E92
Old 09-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #77
mitch5

My Ride: nothing

This is pretty confusing but I think the op wants the lightness if the e46? I'm not sure on the weight difference between the e90 and e46.

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #78
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Its pretty simple, e46>e92.

I'm anxious to see the dash/cluster when its complete.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #79
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch5 View Post
This is pretty confusing but I think the op wants the lightness if the e46? I'm not sure on the weight difference between the e90 and e46.

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app
I don't see much difference in weight, one is 3600, other one is 3400. And I can guess all the weight on E92 is in the luxury items, very heavy seats, heavy insulation, carpet.... There should not be a problem knocking off 600LBS from E92, plus you don't want to go bellow 3000LBS do to stability reasons
Old 09-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #80
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
I don't see much difference in weight, one is 3600, other one is 3400. And I can guess all the weight on E92 is in the luxury items, very heavy seats, heavy insulation, carpet.... There should not be a problem knocking off 600LBS from E92, plus you don't want to go bellow 3000LBS do to stability reasons
Weight doesn't add enough stability to make it worthwhile. You can add aero parts to gain high speed stability.

Get the car as light as you can.

Closed Thread