E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #81
ApolloTheGod

My Ride: E92, E46, E36, Caddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
What was the whole point of going to E46 with this? Did I miss something? You could of fixed the wrecked part of the E92 and just gut the E92
E46 > E92, I want to be the first to finish this swap. And the E46 is way lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch5 View Post
This is pretty confusing but I think the op wants the lightness if the e46? I'm not sure on the weight difference between the e90 and e46.

Sent from my XT907 using BimmerApp mobile app
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan Hussein View Post
Its pretty simple, e46>e92.

I'm anxious to see the dash/cluster when its complete.
/thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
I don't see much difference in weight, one is 3600, other one is 3400. And I can guess all the weight on E92 is in the luxury items, very heavy seats, heavy insulation, carpet.... There should not be a problem knocking off 600LBS from E92, plus you don't want to go bellow 3000LBS do to stability reasons
You want it to be lighter. It is way more stable. I am knocking off way more than 600 lbs. I am going for a 2500 curb weight basically and a 2800 racing weight with a full tank and me in it.

UPDATE!

Got my lift, got it hooked up in the front for now, cant figure out where to hook it at the back. I am just slowly getting everything disconnected. I found out one of my vacuum hoses had blown off during the duration of owning my viechle. I must have been down a good 50hp total. Damn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0546.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	527756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0545.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	527757  

Last edited by ApolloTheGod; 09-23-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #82
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Should have purchased a new body E46. You'll get tired of the pre-facelift astonishingly fast.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #83
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
I think the weight advantage of the E46 over the E92 is being a bit exaggerated here. Don't forget a lot of that weight is the engine and the bigger brakes of the 335i vs your 325i. And since you aren't using the 325i's brakes or engine, etc., but those parts from the E92, you are bringing the weight back up.

Car and driver measured the 335i Coupe at 3,362 lbs. A 330i manual weighs roughly 3,280 lbs. That's 66 lbs. That can easily be accessories from the E92 So by doing this swap, you could actually be increasing your weight.

How's that for science? lol. Best case scenario you lose 50 lbs or so. BEST case. Likely case-you gain 50-200 lbs and you are using a much much weaker body. The E92 coupe is worlds stiffer than the stiffest sedan without fold down seats. The E93 convertible is actually approaching--very close to the E46 sedan in torsional rigidity. The body of the E9X is much better and stronger. You're going backwards here, IMO. Either way GL!!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #84
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
People in this thread are giving the guy too much crap. Yeah it's a bit of a weird swap but I love it when people take on crazy projects like this. It's unique! It's very cool seeing people figure out how to tackle their own engineering problems. I'd imagine that's very satisfying to get the final product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0e3o7 View Post
Just keep your lil boy zell on a leash; a proud self proclaimed TROLL
Old 09-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #85
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
Should have purchased a new body E46. You'll get tired of the pre-facelift astonishingly fast.
I will be putting this into a ZHP after this swap works for a while

Last edited by ApolloTheGod; 09-23-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #86
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
The E46 will be gutted and I want it in an E46 so its win win hehe
Right but your arument is that you are doing all this work cause the E46 is much lighter. You could gut the E92 and come to the same (if not better) conclusion of less weight. Just saying you might actually be paying/doing all this work to end up being heavier.

Just saying dont expect a warm reception if you have a history of crashing cars "trolling" by drawing pen!ses on the hood w/ plastidip and writing "LOL" phrases on the sides etc. and posting it on other forums.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #87
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Right but your arument is that you are doing all this work cause the E46 is much lighter. You could gut the E92 and come to the same (if not better) conclusion of less weight. Just saying you might actually be paying/doing all this work to end up being heavier.

Just saying dont expect a warm reception if you have a history of crashing cars "trolling" by drawing pen!ses on the hood w/ plastidip and writing "LOL" phrases on the sides etc. and posting it on other forums.
Penises on the hood? I dont remember that part! But as I stated before there is more to this swap than just a racecar. I want to put this into a fully functioning ZHP with a super clean N54 swap and this is sort of my test I guess you could say. I am guessing the E46 will be significantly lighter because the rear subframe is way smaller and lighter and as well as the actual frame of the car itself. We will see though. but the E92 was no something I wanted to fix up regardless of the performance. The E46 is way more classy to me
Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #88
Mango

Quote:
Penises on the hood? I dont remember that part! But as I stated before there is more to this swap than just a racecar. I want to put this into a fully functioning ZHP with a super clean N54 swap and this is sort of my test I guess you could say. I am guessing the E46 will be significantly lighter because the rear subframe is way smaller and lighter and as well as the actual frame of the car itself. We will see though. but the E92 was no something I wanted to fix up regardless of the performance. The E46 is way more classy to me
I just stated the weight difference = 66 lbs. Why do you keep insisting on the E46 being "significantly lighter" especially given you are putting the E92 components in the E46 (engine, suspension, trans, brakes, rear end etc including this "heavier" E92 subframe you speak of) I know you want to do it cause its unique and thats fine but stop using weight as your reason cause it's really nothing to write home about.

And no you didn't draw pen!ses on the hood (from what I saw) but what I meant was the general writing of phrases on the car and doing the stuff you did to that zhp. Don't see the reason for that. Just comes off as immature and some forums don't sit well with that. And no everyone doesnt flip cars over. what happened there?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #89
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
Re: N54 Swap into E46

Quote:
And no everyone doesnt flip cars over. what happened there?
^^ this

Rolling an Isuzu trooper happens....

Rolling a low center of gravity car with a sport suspension doesn't. You have to be doing something pretty crazy to accomplish that feat. Interested to hear the back story on how that happened.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #90
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
I just stated the weight difference = 66 lbs. Why do you keep insisting on the E46 being "significantly lighter" especially given you are putting the E92 components in the E46 (engine, suspension, trans, brakes, rear end etc including this "heavier" E92 subframe you speak of) I know you want to do it cause its unique and thats fine but stop using weight as your reason cause it's really nothing to write home about.

And no you didn't draw pen!ses on the hood (from what I saw) but what I meant was the general writing of phrases on the car and doing the stuff you did to that zhp. Don't see the reason for that. Just comes off as immature and some forums don't sit well with that. And no everyone doesnt flip cars over. what happened there?
I wasnt even going that fast at all. There were a few oddly shaped formations of ground that most likely caused the car to flip. Understeer off a cold road and not so warm tires. Looking at the E92 M3 guys and their racing I have seen them get to 3k racing weight. But never any lighter and that was with them even taking out that black hard sound deadening on the metal and just about everything else Granted they are running a V8 and a heavier diff it I can see that number understandable.

Last edited by ApolloTheGod; 09-23-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #91
Das Stig

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP

Quote:
they are running a V8 and a heavier diff it I can see that number understandable.
Isnt the M3's V8 lighter than the s54? Only reason I bring it up is because im guessing the n54 weighs a little more than the s54 because its got turbos on top of it. I could be wrong though. Correct me if I am.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #92
e46jki44

My Ride: e46 325i sedan

S54 is still an iron block isnt it? That probably attributes to the weight.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #93
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Yes S54's block is cast iron
Old 09-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #94
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Stig View Post
Isnt the M3's V8 lighter than the s54? Only reason I bring it up is because im guessing the n54 weighs a little more than the s54 because its got turbos on top of it. I could be wrong though. Correct me if I am.
It also has an intercooler and associated piping, likely a larger oil cooler, etc.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #95
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Stig View Post
The turbos themselves are light. Maybe 3 or 4 lbs each?

Edit: I stand corrected. They are slightly heavier than that. Had to do the research on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46jki44 View Post
S54 is still an iron block isnt it? That probably attributes to the weight.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Correct. Exactly why its a great motor for boosting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
It also has an intercooler and associated piping, likely a larger oil cooler, etc.

the aftermarket intercooler and piping I got was lighter than the OEM. But I suppose you are right. It does have a few more assesories. But the radiator is significantly lighter.

UPDATE!

So this happened today! It is time to clean up the work space and get to work on the second motor!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0547.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	527805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0548.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	527806  

Last edited by ApolloTheGod; 09-23-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #96
omarmarji
Banned User

My Ride: E36 332i
Old 09-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #97
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Prepare thy anus

Old 09-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #98
omarmarji
Banned User

My Ride: E36 332i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan Hussein View Post
Prepare thy anus
thy anus has been prepared your majesty
Old 09-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #99
mitch5

My Ride: nothing

I know everyone is questioning why you picked the e46 with weight and rigidity but its just human nature to want to put a turbo six into the best looking bmw of the last decade.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #100
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch5 View Post
I know everyone is questioning why you picked the e46 with weight and rigidity but its just human nature to want to put a turbo six into the best looking bmw of the last decade.

/thread
Closed Thread