E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #141
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
I found the easiest fix for this. I am using the entire e9x wiring harness. Therefore I have no electrical work to do except splicing connectors. I have covered this multiple times in previous pages.
You need to include the Safety and Gateway (ZGM) module and Control Display module in order to handle Byteflight and MOST bus communication. Splicing alone won't do it.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #142
ApolloTheGod

My Ride: E92, E46, E36, Caddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Mmmmm good luck with that, I think there's far too much integration into other systems in order to get that to work properly. On an E60 or E90 I would imagine it'd be much easier to do.

That's correct. He would have to transfer over the entire MOST and Byteflight bus systems. Seeing as it is a ring topology for MOST, he will either need to create a bunch of jumpers to keep the ring from breaking, or implement all of the forwarding perhipherals - which would include the radio, GM, etc.
Quote:
You need to include the Safety and Gateway (ZGM) module and Control Display module in order to handle Byteflight and MOST bus communication. Splicing alone won't do it.
To retrofit iDrive into the E46 requires no splicing in itsself. As I have mentioned several times now ( please ) I am going to be using the ENTIRE e90 harness. Therefore assuming you mounted the idrive unit it would literally plug in and play. The connectors I refer to are headlights, taillights, side markers, door locks, window regs, etc
Old 09-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #143
Zell

Quote:
To retrofit iDrive into the E46 requires no splicing in itsself. As I have mentioned several times now ( please ) I am going to be using the ENTIRE e90 harness.
Okay, yes, I get that, but you need those two modules in order for the two different protocols to work. MOST and Byteflight don't just work automatically with the ECU/DME. D-CAN w/ the JBE module that you'll already be installing, yes. Optical, no.

Last edited by Zell; 09-26-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #144
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Everyone who is not interested in the OP's PROJECT stay out of this thread. Post about signatures, OP's terrible driving, etc. aren't welcome. I won't let a bunch of bickering about stupid crap derail a cool build thread. Post something out of line and you'll get a couple days minimum vacation, no warning beyond this. Post at your own risk.

Tim

Last edited by tim330i; 09-26-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #145
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Apollo, just stop posting until you have updates. Mango is obviously trying to nitpick everything about you. From your sig to your cars. Its going to be an intense project for sure, but instead of knocking every plan of attack the kid has, why not post useful or encouraging info instead of making this a 5+page thread of BS.

OP, check out bimmerboost forums. Those guys know the n54 inside & out and have claimed that an e46 n54 swap has already been done. Just food for thought.

And for the record, I went through 6 cars by the time I was 18, not 1 was wrecked. Buy low, sell high.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #146
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Okay, yes, I get that, but you need those two modules in order for the two different protocols to work. MOST and Byteflight don't just work automatically with the ECU/DME. D-CAN, yes. Optical, no.
I am not even sure what those two modules are to be honest. I can confirm and attest to the simple facts though. E90 harness, E90 electronics, E90 idrive in E46 will work.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #147
Zell

Quote:
I am not even sure what those two modules are to be honest. I can confirm and attest to the simple facts though. E90 harness, E90 electronics, E90 idrive in E46 will work.
ZGM is the central safety and gateway module that handles the Byteflight bus. It is a star topology, and this is necessary for the signals to go from A to B for safety systems. Since you're using the E90 wiring harness, I am assuming you're going to be changing up the DSC system unless you plan to live without it.

JBE is a junction module next to the DME that also handles D-CAN bus messages. You will already be installing this, I am certain.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #148
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
ZGM is the central safety and gateway module that handles the Byteflight bus. It is a star topology, and this is necessary for the signals to go from A to B for safety systems. Since you're using the E90 wiring harness, I am assuming you're going to be changing up the DSC system unless you plan to live without it.

JBE is a junction module next to the DME that also handles D-CAN bus messages. You will already be installing this, I am certain.
Ah yes both systems will be being used. I am still not sure about ABS however, but DSC is definately being used
Old 09-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #149
wshgrntd

My Ride: 2007 335i m-sport
bump for pics (quietly watching the awesomeness!)
Old 09-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #150
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
In for updates. Very cool project!
Old 09-27-2013, 02:07 AM   #151
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaga2001 View Post
Hey man don't do it the ps4 is about to come out, who the **** still plays Nintendo 64 anymore?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using BimmerApp mobile app
What?

UPDATE

Just a small update. I cleaned up a bunch of parts and started to catalogue tons of E90 parts that I really needed to get to. I have spent hours going through and organizing this stuff so it can all be sold off. I also pulled the harness off my engine to make it easier to clean and rebuild a few things. I didnt take pics but I did a bunch of seals and gaskets around the engine. Nothing major, just minor stuff that it needed after 92k. Pretty healthy for the milage and the beating it took. Drained all the fluids completely from the motor and gave it a good wash and scrub.

I have been deliberating about removing my AC and PS pumps. I am not sure if I should or should not. Its a tough choice honestly. Also finished pulling all the turbo related components. They werent as unhealthy as I thought they were.

ANOTHER UPDATE

Pulled the front turbo off and found something scary. To think my turbo has had that much resistance for so long. No wonder I was puffing smoke everywhere There is dried up oil everywhere inside. I cant wait to take this baby apart and see whats up. Had to soak the snap rings in liquid wrench. They are a pain in the ass to get undone. Pop one side then the other gets stuck. Pop the second side now the first side is stuck etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan Hussein View Post
OP, check out bimmerboost forums. Those guys know the n54 inside & out and have claimed that an e46 n54 swap has already been done. Just food for thought.
I searched for a thread and found nothing. Link?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	528503   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0636.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	528504   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0637.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	528505   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0638.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	528506  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0639.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	528511   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0641.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	528512  

Last edited by ApolloTheGod; 09-27-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #152
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Apollo, just stop posting until you have updates. Mango is obviously trying to nitpick everything about you. From your sig to your cars. Its going to be an intense project for sure, but instead of knocking every plan of attack the kid has, why not post useful or encouraging info instead of making this a 5+page thread of BS.

And for the record, I went through 6 cars by the time I was 18, not 1 was wrecked. Buy low, sell high.
Bimmerboost guys are pretty dedicated. I know the owner/founder of the forum and the whole backstory on why it was started etc etc. I also know the owner of JB4 (BT) and I was there during the prototype phase at the owner's house back in 07. N54 tuning has come a long way. anyway i couldn't find the link you were referring to but here's an E30 with N54.

Was this the one you are talking about or did you mean E46 n54 swap?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 09-27-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #153
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
I'd keep AC, helps to demist windscreen in winter and nicer in the summer.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #154
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Bimmerboost guys are pretty dedicated. I know the owner/founder of the forum and the whole backstory on why it was started etc etc. I also know the owner of JB4 (BT) and I was there during the prototype phase at the owner's house back in 07. N54 tuning has come a long way. anyway i couldn't find the link you were referring to but here's an E30 with N54.

Was this the one you are talking about or did you mean E46 n54 swap?
I have seen that. Gnarly car! I am pretty sure this will be the first finished E46 swap and maybe 2nd attempted?
Old 09-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #155
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
An N54 in an E30? Holy hell. Mine is rowdy enough with the S52 engine. If I had the money to boost my car, I definitely would.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #156
IAmMightythor

My Ride: 2002 330i
I am very interested. I have been trying to decide what to do with my e36 for the last little while. May try this if he is successfull.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #157
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
N54 swap into E30

N54 into E30 swap information. Courtesy of V. Palariev drifter from Ukraine. I am only posting information that I was able to gather.

Wiring is not too bad if you have a whole donor car. firewall had to be cut and moved one foot toward inside for the oil pan to clear subframe, custom engine mounting ears had to be welded onto subframe. Pasanger side left foot well had to be cut and moved toward inside to make room for turbo downpipes.

For wiring, you need CAS car access system, EWS4 module, GM body module, you must have the matching cluster because it is all CAN BUS based, all these modules communicate via can bus as well as the DME.

Before this Palariev had S38 then S54 and now N54, and he says its the best engine ever, lightweight and turbocharged, girls love it that's the most important motivating factor for this swap.

Engine harness from donor car, only the components that are required for swap are extracted.

Testing the functionality before moving the custom harness to the car

Testing the wired components with quality diagnostic too, before moving it all to the chassis.

Body module is required because it is a hub of CAN BUS communications

All installed and racing. You can see the body module with fuse panel on the passanger side, then push start button on custom center panel, behind it is EWS4 and CAS. You can see on the cluster no speed signal.

Looks like E92 cooling system is used:

When you have twin turbo N54 you get to bang both chicks, that's enough motivation alone for you to do this swap. With S54/S52/S62 you get no girls, because you aint got no turbos yo

Fine girls get stuck on your E30 like a magnet literally when you got N54.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #158
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
^ That is a TON of wiring. must weigh 50+ lbs. i wonder what he cut out

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #159
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
V. Palariev knows what hes doing!

Do the turbos come with the pvssy magnet stock? Or will I have to buy it? Does bimmerworld sell it?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #160
ApolloTheGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
N54 into E30 swap information. Courtesy of V. Palariev drifter from Ukraine. I am only posting information that I was able to gather.

Before this Palariev had S38 then S54 and now N54, and he says its the best engine ever, lightweight and turbocharged, girls love it that's the most important motivating factor for this swap.

Looks like E92 cooling system is used:

When you have twin turbo N54 you get to bang both chicks, that's enough motivation alone for you to do this swap. With S54/S52/S62 you get no girls, because you aint got no turbos yo

Fine girls get stuck on your E30 like a magnet literally when you got N54.
I really appreciate it! I am not going THAT hardcore but damn that is one sexy ass car and those girls man And I speak from personal experience spool makes the girls drool! The fact that I am fully spooled, have almost no lag, and make full torque at 1500 rpms really gets the ladies off

I will be using my E90 radiator. It has all the stuff in the right place and its not much bigger than the E46 one. It just made sense to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
^ That is a TON of wiring. must weigh 50+ lbs. i wonder what he cut out
My full harness weighs around 80-100 lbs if I had to guess

Quote:
V. Palariev knows what hes doing!

Do the turbos come with the pvssy magnet stock? Or will I have to buy it? Does bimmerworld sell it?
Pussy magnet is available from BMW for about $9,000 new and you could find this pussy magnet for as low as $3k sometimes

Last edited by ApolloTheGod; 09-27-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Closed Thread