E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #21
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Considering macros MAKE up calories and "hitting your percentages" would refer to meeting both a calorie and macro goal, your logic is pretty flawed. Nobody just makes macro goals, that is retarded.

Also the body handles calories / nutrients differently. I don't think you would see much success trying to lose body fat only eating twinkies despite being at a deficit.
__________________

Last edited by dabears; 09-18-2013 at 03:55 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #22
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Considering macros MAKE up calories and "hitting your percentages" would refer to meeting both a calorie and macro goal, your logic is pretty flawed. Nobody just makes macro goals, that is retarded.

Also the body handles calories / nutrients differently. I don't think you would see much success trying to lose body fat only eating twinkies despite being at a deficit.
Ummm
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08...sor/index.html

There's also quite a few experiments I saw on reddit. One was eating nothing but KFC, and nothing but pizza. Both at caloric deficits and lost a good amount of fat.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #23
bAby norAA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 513
My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Considering macros MAKE up calories and "hitting your percentages" would refer to meeting both a calorie and macro goal, your logic is pretty flawed. Nobody just makes macro goals, that is retarded.

Also the body handles calories / nutrients differently. I don't think you would see much success trying to lose body fat only eating twinkies despite being at a deficit.
So by what you just said, you figure out how many calories you need to reach your goal since "no one makes up macro goals" and decide your %'s from that number? Essentially you agree that overall caloric intake is the most important by what you just said and that you will fit your macros to your caloric intake.

While macros make up calories, overall calories dictate percentages and grams per macro. you can hit 40/40/20 at 1200 calories or you can hit 40/40/20 at 5,000 calories.

And why dont you try this. Eat 4 twinkies a day and nothing more for a month. I bet you lose weight.
__________________

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #24
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
FYI for those dieting...

Eating 1800 calls of butter will make most of us lose weight. There is no denying this.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #25
Leezy321
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 270
My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
FYI for those dieting...

I'm glad I can eat 3000 calories a day and still get down to 5% bf without issue... F##k dieting! Lol...


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #26
z00
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 338
My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
There is a misunderstanding.

Sure, eating 4 twinkies a day will cause you to lose weight. But this weight loss will come from both fat and muscle. But if you eat the equivalent calories of 4 twinkies but from protein and healthy fats, the muscle mass loss will be less than when eating 4 twinkies.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:38 AM   #27
bAby norAA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 513
My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
There is a misunderstanding.

Sure, eating 4 twinkies a day will cause you to lose weight. But this weight loss will come from both fat and muscle. But if you eat the equivalent calories of 4 twinkies but from protein and healthy fats, the muscle mass loss will be less than when eating 4 twinkies.
This was not the topic at hand. No one had argued this, but still the fact remains that overall caloric intake will dictate weight gain or weight loss.
__________________

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #28
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
There is a misunderstanding.

Sure, eating 4 twinkies a day will cause you to lose weight. But this weight loss will come from both fat and muscle. But if you eat the equivalent calories of 4 twinkies but from protein and healthy fats, the muscle mass loss will be less than when eating 4 twinkies.
Z00, no one argued that. We're talking about fat loss here. You can lose fat eating anything as long as those calories are under your maintenance requirements.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #29
dabears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton/Vernon
Posts: 223
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Let me put it this way...

If you are concerned with maximizing muscle retention and fat loss when cutting, I'm of the opinion you are better off focusing on the macro composition and overall quality of your calories rather than insisting on creating a deficit.

Due to nutrient partitioning, I would bet someone eating a quality diet of appropriate macros and training properly would see better body composition results (both muscle retention or creation and bf reduction) eating at a maintenance level or even slightly higher amount of calories compared with someone training properly and focusing solely on eating at a 500 calorie deficit for example.

And is body composition not the overall goal?
__________________
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #30
z00
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 338
My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
But you're missing the point about body composition. It's true the overall calorie intake will dictate weight gains/loss. But which tissues (muscle or fat) that have gain/loss make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAby norAA View Post
This was not the topic at hand. No one had argued this, but still the fact remains that overall caloric intake will dictate weight gain or weight loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Z00, no one argued that. We're talking about fat loss here. You can lose fat eating anything as long as those calories are under your maintenance requirements.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #31
Leezy321
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 270
My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
FYI for those dieting...

I don't understand the argument? Look at his results. He has reached a level of body composition that no one here will ever reach. He looks better than 99.999% of the population. How can people argue what he is doing is wrong? Lmfao!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #32
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
FYI for those dieting...

Guys, no one is missing the point. We're talking fat loss. That is it. Pretend you met some 245lb woman that said I love twinkies, I don't care about my health. She can eat nothing but twinkies and lose fat.

We're not talking about us who are concerned with building and retaining muscle.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #33
z00
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 338
My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
So here is where this logic fails. How do you know he actually eats what he is preaching? Many guys who look good, don't even do most of what they talk about. Mostly for sponsorship, ads, traffic, marketing, etc...

The dude obviously works out very hard and has made good progress. But it does not mean everything he says will workout for everyone, or is right. Just my .02. I pointed out the points that did not make sense from his video. Stay focused on what he is saying.

My orthodontist has some messed up teeth, But he made my teeth perfect. My primary care doc is obese and smokes. Yet, he advises people to eat healthy and not smoke. A counter example to this logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezy321 View Post
I don't understand the argument? Look at his results. He has reached a level of body composition that no one here will ever reach. He looks better than 99.999% of the population. How can people argue what he is doing is wrong? Lmfao!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
If that's the case, then we're on the same page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Guys, no one is missing the point. We're talking fat loss. That is it. Pretend you met some 245lb woman that said I love twinkies, I don't care about my health. She can eat nothing but twinkies and lose fat.

We're not talking about us who are concerned with building and retaining muscle.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by z00; 09-22-2013 at 01:33 AM.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #34
Leezy321
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 270
My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
FYI for those dieting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
So here is where this logic fails. How do you know he actually eats what he is preaching? Many guys who look good, don't even do most of what they talk about. Mostly for sponsorship, ads, traffic, marketing, etc...

The dude obviously works out very hard and has made good progress. But it does not mean everything he says will workout for everyone, or is right. Just my .02. I pointed out the points that did not make sense from his video. Stay focused on what he is saying.

My orthodontist has some messed up teeth, But he made my teeth perfect. My primary care doc is obese and smokes. Yet, he advises people to eat healthy and not smoke. A counter example to this logic.

I don't think he's saying his method will work on everybody. I think he's just giving ppl options based off of what works for HIM... I can tell you right now, that method wouldn't work for me. But I know how my body works and I've made gaining and losing weight a career. But I wouldn't argue against what he does saying its wrong. Because it's not. It works for him and it's surely to work for others.



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #35
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,157
My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
So here is where this logic fails. How do you know he actually eats what he is preaching? Many guys who look good, don't even do most of what they talk about. Mostly for sponsorship, ads, traffic, marketing, etc...

The dude obviously works out very hard and has made good progress. But it does not mean everything he says will workout for everyone, or is right. Just my .02. I pointed out the points that did not make sense from his video. Stay focused on what he is saying.

My orthodontist has some messed up teeth, But he made my teeth perfect. My primary care doc is obese and smokes. Yet, he advises people to eat healthy and not smoke. A counter example to this logic.



If that's the case, then we're on the same page.
There are hundreds of videos that show what he is actually eating
/end

[bimmerapp]
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #36
bAby norAA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 513
My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Honestly we are arguing over semantics...

Caloric intake will dictate weight loss and weight gain. If you are trying to cut and you aren't losing any weight you either need to eat less calories or up your activity level to burn more calories. On the other hand, if you are bulking and you are not gaining any weight you need to eat more...plain and simple. This is not rocket science. You will gain or lose weight based on caloric intake NOT which macro nutrients you take in at different percentages of overall caloric intake.

Your macros that make up all the calories you eat will help to maximize your gains and make sure you are gaining as much lean tissue as possible while bulking and will also help dictate what your body burns off while cutting (trying to preserve lean tissue). Macros are very important to maximize gains, but they are not the building blocks of bulking/cutting.

The problem with trying to focus on macro's first (especially for noobs) is most of the time they do not hit their caloric intake or they overshoot it, or they just dont have the know how to understand what to break down the macros into.

I do find it odd that most of the guys (not all) who post the most about nutrition and working out in this forum tend to look like they don't follow their own advice or 'knowledge' when i see pics of them in the progress threads.
__________________

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |

Last edited by bAby norAA; 09-22-2013 at 08:56 PM.
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #37
jinwu57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 173
My Ride: bmw325 ci
Re: FYI for those dieting...

Sorry to interrupt the back and forth but I just tried shirataki noodles with ground turkey and fat free cheese and it was friggin GREAT! Of course not like the real thing(pasta) but considering it barely has any calories I won't complain. I can definitely add it to my contest prep diet.

Continue on...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using BimmerApp mobile app
jinwu57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #38
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
I almost never eat pasta, but I really miss it sometimes. A big bowl of pasta can be awesome. They didn't have them at Target when I went earlier, but hopefully I can grab them at WF sometime.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #39
jinwu57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NJ
Posts: 173
My Ride: bmw325 ci
Re: FYI for those dieting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
I almost never eat pasta, but I really miss it sometimes. A big bowl of pasta can be awesome. They didn't have them at Target when I went earlier, but hopefully I can grab them at WF sometime.
Make sure to follow the directions and boil and rinse them before making whatever pasta dish. Tastes just like noodles. Yum

Sent from my SCH-I605 using BimmerApp mobile app
jinwu57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #40
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,157
My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bAby norAA View Post
I do find it odd that most of the guys (not all) who post the most about nutrition and working out in this forum tend to look like they don't follow their own advice or 'knowledge' when i see pics of them in the progress threads.
oh snap
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use