E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Exclamation So, you wanna service the rear trailing arm? Definitive Trailing Arm Guide

Definitive Trailing Arm Guide

This thread will guide you on how to properly service your rear trailing arm.

BMW has been using the rear trailing arm for decades. Its design coupled with careful suspension tuning has been one of key ingredients to BMW's dynamic driving qualities.

The BMW rear trailing arm serves for the backbone of the rear suspension/wheel/wheel bearing/brakes and is designed to provide toe-out under heavy acceleration and toe-in during heavy braking. These characteristics is to stablize the vehicle.

The rear trailing arm bushings AKA "RTAB" (as pictured in blue) helps deflect vibration and harshness while absorbing shock mid-corner which could otherwise upset the vehicle's stability.

These bushings fail quickly and often because they are high-load items and a lot of work is asked of them. Typical life expectancy is anywhere from 35,000 to 70,000 miles. The effectiveness of these parts are not an "on/off" switch and their performance degrades over time as the rubber deteriorates. You may not feel that you need new RTABs if you have slowly become used to their gradual decline in performance. Common signs of failure of the RTAB includes rear-end wandering often tmes under acceleration or braking or in more severe cases, clunking noises.

The other two components pictured are the rear trailing arm bushing and/or balljoint. These items are (as pictured in red and green). These are also serviceable items but do not wear as quickly as the rear trailing arm bushing.

Note that non-M models come with a bushing at the lower location and balljoint at the upper location.

///M3 models come with balljoints at both upper and lower locations for improved feel and control.

This dual-balljoint setup can be applied to non-M models using ///M3 parts. (Thanks to CPOSK)

Rear trailing arm bushing:

Replace these at 60,000+ miles. Personally, I recommend replacing them every 20,000 miles.

M3 Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Part number (upgrade): 33326770817 (Two per vehicle)

Comments and Concerns Addressed:

Q) When should you change your Rear Trailing Arm Bushing?

A) If they are original or you don't know. If you get rear-end wandering or the rear end is unstable during acceleration or braking.

Q) But what about polyurethane?

A) I don't recommend it. On a street-driven vehicle, this bushing should be rubber. Polyurethane is not ideal for multi-axis movement and not meant for this location. I would avoid this type of bushing here.

Q) But, Mango... what about pre-load?

A) There are documented ways to do this but I've found the easiest way is to mark the position of the rear trailing arm carrier in relation to the arm after the arm is dropped. Simply re-torque the carrier after installation of the new bushing after it is aligned with the mark you made. I found on several vehicles the trailing arm bracket lined up perfectly with a line cast into the control arm. The goal is to have zero load on the bushing at rest.

Q) What tools do I need?

A) For the RTAB, the MIS RTAB tool. For the upper and lower balljoint/bushing, you need a special press for them. These can be found on Amazon and eBay such as here.

Q) What brands do you recommend, Mango?

A) I recommend Lemforder for all three locations. Personally, I am using OEM M3 parts for all three parts.

Tips:

Some people use "limiters" which are essentially plastic shims that go on either side of the rear trailing arm bushing. These spacers limit trailing arm movement within the pocket and can extend the life of the bushing.

Limiters

Before dropping the trailing arm, disconnect the brake line from the trailing arm via a 10mm bolt. This is important.

Use a large hose clamp to compress the split bushing before pressing it into the trailing arm. Press into the trailing arm on the side of the trailing arm with a beveled edge.

Torque carrier to trailing arm bushing center bolt @ 81 ft-lbs and bushing bracket to body @ 57 ft-lbs

Trailing Arm Bushing (lower and upper)

As mentioned above, this is a rubber mount. This can be upgraded to ///M3 balljoints.

Rubber mount part number (2 per car on non-M models): 33326771828

M3 balljoint part number (2 per car on non-M models and 4 per car on M3 models): 33326775551

These are torqued to around 78 ft-lbs (99% sure) if someone can find the official spec, I'd appreciate it.

Tips:

Remove rotor and set caliper aside. Mark your camber position before removing your camber bolts.

An alignment is recommended when servicing any of the above items.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailing-arm.jpg
Views:	3513
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	527056  

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 10-02-2013 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1380742560
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Evo Panda
My username makes no sense

My Ride: E46 328i, MK6 GTi
Re: So, you wanna service the rear trailing arm? Definitive Trailing Arm Guide

Awesome write-up! Thanks!
Old 09-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Planning on buying this tool as the MIS tool is expensive to buy in the UK after shipping http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-Seri...item3f28862c28
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Very nice Mango. Does the car feel different after replacing the trailing arm ball joints?
Did you forget or chose not to comment on the RTAB limiters?
Megalocnus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
NoGuru

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Old 09-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
Very nice Mango. Does the car feel different after replacing the trailing arm ball joints?
Did you forget or chose not to comment on the RTAB limiters?
Oh yeah. Limiters. Yeah I supposed I could add those. It feels slightly more direct with slightly more noise in the back. I've gotten used to it now. Basically it will feel similar to an M3 with M3 RTABs. I believe the M3 shares all other rear control arm bushings

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Brad W

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Thanks Mango. I've got the RTAB's on my list.

Quote:
"The other two components as pictured are the trailing arm balljoint and trailing arm bushing. These are also serviceable items but do not wear as quickly as the rear trailing arm bushing."
what mileage to you consider these to be completely shot? I think this is what you consider to be the Stage 3 job in your suspension write up right?

2003 330ci ZPP, ZSP, ZCW
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad W View Post
Thanks Mango. I've got the RTAB's on my list.

what mileage to you consider these to be completely shot? I think this is what you consider to be the Stage 3 job in your suspension write up right?
I would say around 40,000-60,000 miles of use, they are "completely" shot for use in their intended purpose

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Brad W

that means mine are probably shot considering I just turned 87k this morning. what are the alternatives on tools for this job? (other than paying someone else to do it). Does Harbor Freight have a cheap option? Do places rent that kit?

I've seen a variety of options for the RTAB tool, but even to buy it isn't too big a hit on the wallet. That other bushing set is a bit steep.

What other fancy tools are needed just to get to the point of using that bushing tool set?

Quote:
These require tons of labor and special tools. These are for the pickiest of picky. You'll need an E36/E46 rear axle service kit which can be found on eBay
I might be out of my league with the stage 3 suspension refresh. How compromised is the car if this one is overlooked?

2003 330ci ZPP, ZSP, ZCW
Old 09-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
doubleda

My Ride: 05 E46 Touring
got this on my list

OK, great write up, thanks !! OK, do you have to remove the whole arm from the car to replace JUST the RTAB with the M3 part ??? I know I will need the special tool. thanks .....
doubleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
doubleda

My Ride: 05 E46 Touring
Also ...

Sorry .... what do you think of having the reinforcement plates that you weld onto the rear camber arm to strengthen them ????
doubleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
Brad W

I've lightly glanced at DIY's for the RTAB's, you don't have to remove the whole arm from what I can tell.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=678004

2003 330ci ZPP, ZSP, ZCW
Old 09-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
that means mine are probably shot considering I just turned 87k this morning. what are the alternatives on tools for this job? (other than paying someone else to do it). Does Harbor Freight have a cheap option? Do places rent that kit?

I've seen a variety of options for the RTAB tool, but even to buy it isn't too big a hit on the wallet. That other bushing set is a bit steep.

What other fancy tools are needed just to get to the point of using that bushing tool set?

I might be out of my league with the stage 3 suspension refresh. How compromised is the car if this one is overlooked?
No good or cheap alternatives. Some people have gotten by making their own tools. I tried. Snapped the tool twice. You need solid blunt precision machined tools for this job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleda View Post
OK, great write up, thanks !! OK, do you have to remove the whole arm from the car to replace JUST the RTAB with the M3 part ??? I know I will need the special tool. thanks .....
You don't need to remove the trailing arm to replace the bushing, no. As long as you use the correct tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleda View Post
Sorry .... what do you think of having the reinforcement plates that you weld onto the rear camber arm to strengthen them ????
Fine for track use. But for street use there is an increased risk as you could overload your subframe/chassis causing permanent damage from a simple curb strike. The stock arm is designed to deflect under impact.

Quote:
I've lightly glanced at DIY's for the RTAB's, you don't have to remove the whole arm from what I can tell.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=678004
Correct

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i

I am getting ready to do this on my sedan, thinking of going to the m3 setup, anything else i should do?

Sent from my LG-MS870 using BimmerApp mobile app

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Hmmm... well I'd do the double balljoint upgrade as well but that's going to require more tools.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #16
Hogan773

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Even though people sometimes poke fun at Mango, I will say that he is a wealth of information and this writeup is a great example. Nice job
Hogan773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
ClaytonL

My Ride: 2003 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Hmmm... well I'd do the double balljoint upgrade as well but that's going to require more tools.
I want to do this so bad!!!!!
I just dont want to go through another alignment. Ive pissed all my shops off around here with how picky I am.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #18
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonL View Post
I want to do this so bad!!!!!
I just dont want to go through another alignment. Ive pissed all my shops off around here with how picky I am.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
If your trailing arm bushing (lower) is in good condition, you can get by with the M3 balljoint upgrade without an alignment.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #19
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Try to add methods for determining excessive wear and a DIY replacement procedure complete with lot's of pictures.

In it's current form, it's an incomplete piece, low on critical information with too much editorial. For example, I really don't care if you want to change yours ever 20,000 miles. I'd rather you explain the criteria for deciding when to change them out, with inspection procedures and example pictures. That information is completely missing.

Also, you might want to mention your recommendation for performing an alignment early in your post rather than sneaking it in on the last line of your post. It's a key consideration when deciding whether to tackle these tasks DIY vs. paying a shop to do it. Include web links to the very best additional DIY resources that exist.

Last edited by Solidjake; 09-19-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #20
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
In it's current form, it's an incomplete piece...with too much editorial.
+1. For example, what is the reason to choose the balljoint type bushing from the M3 vs the standard one?
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote