E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #1
My_BMWe46

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
New Brakes

Hey guys,

So I went to the stealership recently for oil change (yes I know, could've done it myself but wanted that inspection to check for any hidden issues) and when I got the car back, one of the things they recommend I do is brakes. Of course, being the stealership they "offered" me $1400 on front and rear brake pads and rotors . Of course, they "found" some other issues with the car, but that thread is for another day. Obviously I am not going to spend $1400 on brakes from the stealership, but I want to know if I should go with OEM or Aftermarket brakes.... Oh and before anyone asks, my pads on the front are ~2mm front and rear ~<1mm . I took the car to an indy and they said that I should wait for the brake light to pop up from the sensors detecting low brakes before I replace them; that way, I can get the most of my brake pads and rotors before spending $$$ to replace them. I would do the brake pads and rotors myself; however, I don't want to risk me doing the job incorrectly and I would need the car to be finished soon as it is my only car. Also, I am still new at DIY-ing but am learning everyday how to do easy repairs, I am just not ready for this big of a job yet. This guy quoted me $600 for aftermarket brake pads, rotors, and sensors.

(Car is a 2005 BMW 325i, 82k miles)

Any ideas on what should I do?

Thanks!
My_BMWe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
Nicker

My Ride: 323ci
I'm still super surprised by the amount of people I see here that pay exorbitant sums of money to get the most basic work done on their cars.

I suggest visiting a sponsor's website and see what they have offered for your car.

The websites are very easy to navigate and find the parts you need (pads and rotors). You'll find that even buying OEM quality (doesn't sound like you want/need performance parts and have the money to use on OEM parts) is quite cheap verse your overall quoted prices.

There are many youtube videos that'll show you hands on exactly what you need, how to, and how long to do simple DIYs, such as a brake job, I suggest you poke around a bit.

If all this overwhelms you, I suggest you say where you are in the US and surely there's probably a fanatic that lives close enough to you that would help you out for something like the cost of a case of beer/bouquet of flowers.

00' 323ci - 170hp
Nicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 Orient 330i/5
Can you change your E46's oil? If so, you can handle brake pads. It's one of the easiest repairs to do. Pelican has a good writeup:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...Brake_Pads.htm

Current: '02 330i/5 '99 F150 '06 XC90 '72 240Z
Past: '85 RX-7 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S

Last edited by Spannerhead; 02-05-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #4
My_BMWe46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Can you change your E46's oil? If so, you can handle brake pads. It's one of the easiest repairs to do. Pelican has a good writeup:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...Brake_Pads.htm
I have to do brake pads and rotors.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:14 PM   #5
Spannerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_BMWe46 View Post
I have to do brake pads and rotors.
That's basically one extra step beyond the brake pads:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...ake_Rotors.htm

Past: '85 RX-7 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Old 02-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
My_BMWe46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
I'm still super surprised by the amount of people I see here that pay exorbitant sums of money to get the most basic work done on their cars.

I suggest visiting a sponsor's website and see what they have offered for your car.

The websites are very easy to navigate and find the parts you need (pads and rotors). You'll find that even buying OEM quality (doesn't sound like you want/need performance parts and have the money to use on OEM parts) is quite cheap verse your overall quoted prices.

There are many youtube videos that'll show you hands on exactly what you need, how to, and how long to do simple DIYs, such as a brake job, I suggest you poke around a bit.

If all this overwhelms you, I suggest you say where you are in the US and surely there's probably a fanatic that lives close enough to you that would help you out for something like the cost of a case of beer/bouquet of flowers.
Where would you buy the parts though, I found OEM brake pads and rotors and sensors for $700 for all 4 wheels. Yes, this is from the parts department from the dealer, anyways, I haven't done any repairs or maintenance myself to the car as a considering the oil service was done recently and by a stealership because of the deal the were having and because I wanted to have my car looked at for free while being serviced. (I have owned a car for a year), plus I do not have the time to do the whole process of a brake service.

But thanks anyways for your input.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #7
My_BMWe46

Quote:
That's basically one extra step beyond the brake pads:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...ake_Rotors.htm
Perhaps, but I don't have the right tools to do the job correctly. Wouldn't the tools (that includes jacks), plus parts be more expensive than the $600 that the indy is charging me?
Old 02-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
Spannerhead

Quote:
Perhaps, but I don't have the right tools to do the job correctly. Wouldn't the tools (that includes jacks), plus parts be more expensive than the $600 that the indy is charging me?
Absolutely not.

Floor jack from Harbor Freight: ~$50
Harbor Freight jackstands: ~$20
6-point metric socket set and driver: ~$50?
Large C-clamp: ~15?
Wire brush: ~$5

Old 02-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
My_BMWe46

Quote:
Absolutely not.

Floor jack from Harbor Freight: ~$50
Harbor Freight jackstands: ~$20
6-point metric socket set and driver: ~$50?
Large C-clamp: ~15?
Wire brush: ~$5
Would this be a good kit then?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item1

First one I think
Old 02-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #10
My_BMWe46

If i were to do it myself with all the correct parts, about how long would you think it would take me. Again, I haven't done much, if any, maintenance myself on this car since I've owned it for the past year and this will be my first major DIY. I do small things here and there, but I rely usually on someone else to do the heavy work (besides that one oil change) because I don't want to risk doing things wrong. I just don't want to be finished with everything at the end of the day and find out I can't brake when I come to a stop light.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #11
DEADF15H

My Ride: DD is a 2001 325i
You got this.
Www.bavauto.con and www.ecstuning.com have detailed instructions and YouTube videos as well. Plus the DIY section of this site.
Somewhat intimidating at first, but that's just the mind game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #12
Spannerhead

Quote:
Would this be a good kit then?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item1

First one I think
Yes that would be a great starting point. Pelican's a reputable company and that looks like a comprehensive kit.

Quote:
If i were to do it myself with all the correct parts, about how long would you think it would take me. Again, I haven't done much, if any, maintenance myself on this car since I've owned it for the past year and this will be my first major DIY. I do small things here and there, but I rely usually on someone else to do the heavy work (besides that one oil change) because I don't want to risk doing things wrong. I just don't want to be finished with everything at the end of the day and find out I can't brake when I come to a stop light.
I would budget a Saturday for it, and just do it one wheel at a time, starting with the fronts. Get an experienced buddy to assist if you can. If you were local you could bribe me with a 6-pack and we'd be done in a couple of hours.

Last edited by Spannerhead; 02-05-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #13
My_BMWe46

Quote:
Yes that would be a great starting point. Pelican's a reputable company and that looks like a comprehensive kit.

I would budget a Saturday for it, and just do it one wheel at a time, starting with the fronts. Get an experienced buddy to assist if you can. If you were local you could bribe me with a 6-pack and we'd be done in a couple of hours.
Alright, thanks for the input. Should I wait for the brake light to pop up on dash or just do it the soonest I could. <1 mm for the rears, wouldn't the light have popped up already?
Old 02-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #14
My_BMWe46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADF15H View Post
You got this.
Www.bavauto.con and www.ecstuning.com have detailed instructions and YouTube videos as well. Plus the DIY section of this site.
Somewhat intimidating at first, but that's just the mind game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Thanks!
Old 02-05-2016, 02:12 PM   #15
MysticBlue

My Ride: 04 330xi & 05 330cab
I was a bit apprehensive about doing my brakes as well. I was able to complete the entire job by myself for both my cars with the help of various DIYs found on this site. I also helped out a friend with his. Honestly, it is pretty straightforward. Just take your time on the first wheel (I recommend the left front since it has a sensor), understand the steps and get your routine together. The other wheels will be a piece of cake. One very critical tip : use quality 6 point sockets! Do not use cheap 12 pointers or you may strip the nuts and that would really suck. The 6 pointers will grip really well and you can put a lot of pressure on the breaker bar to loosen the nuts, which will probably be pretty tight after taking so much abuse and weather over the years.

Good luck!
MysticBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #16
My_BMWe46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
I was a bit apprehensive about doing my brakes as well. I was able to complete the entire job by myself for both my cars with the help of various DIYs found on this site. I also helped out a friend with his. Honestly, it is pretty straightforward. Just take your time on the first wheel (I recommend the left front since it has a sensor), understand the steps and get your routine together. The other wheels will be a piece of cake. One very critical tip : use quality 6 point sockets! Do not use cheap 12 pointers or you may strip the nuts and that would really suck. The 6 pointers will grip really well and you can put a lot of pressure on the breaker bar to loosen the nuts, which will probably be pretty tight after taking so much abuse and weather over the years.

Good luck!
Noted. Thank you and to everyone else for their advice.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:54 PM   #17
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld
Sponsor

My Ride: M3/LMR-3
Swapping out brake pads and rotors is fairly easy and quick if you make sure to have all the correct tools, and it obviously saves a LOT of money. Online DIY tutorials will help a lot, or if you have a local friend or forum member with experience, maybe they can guide you through it all for the cost of lunch. First time doing it might take 2 hours including the time it takes to get the car up and back down, maybe even 2.5 hours if you're taking your time and/or come across a rotor or two that's seized to the hub.

Very much worth the time it takes and the small investment in the basic tools needed.

Jonathan
BimmerWorld
Race Proven Performance
www.bimmerworld.com
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Last edited by Jonathan @ BimmerWorld; 02-06-2016 at 06:24 AM.
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #18
Awtrace

I recently just bought my first bimmer, 04 325Ci, and I plan on upgrading the brakes at some point and would like to get drilled and slotted rotors. I've done some searching on eBay and found a set of MAXadvanced brakes front and rear set for $165. I mainly want them cause they are all black and will add to the "murdered out" look but I also want quality products. They come with rotors and pads and are "anti-rust" which would help living in Utah. Any advice on this? Doesn't look like they come with new sensors but I can buy those separate.
Awtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:37 AM   #19
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld
Sponsor

My Ride: M3/LMR-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awtrace View Post
I recently just bought my first bimmer, 04 325Ci, and I plan on upgrading the brakes at some point and would like to get drilled and slotted rotors. I've done some searching on eBay and found a set of MAXadvanced brakes front and rear set for $165. I mainly want them cause they are all black and will add to the "murdered out" look but I also want quality products. They come with rotors and pads and are "anti-rust" which would help living in Utah. Any advice on this? Doesn't look like they come with new sensors but I can buy those separate.
I've never heard of the brand before, but they won't remain black once you've used them a couple of times. That would only be some sort of coating that will likely make your first few stops a bit interesting.

Jonathan
BimmerWorld
Race Proven Performance
www.bimmerworld.com
www.bimmerworldracing.com
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #20
Awtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan @ BimmerWorld View Post
I've never heard of the brand before, but they won't remain black once you've used them a couple of times. That would only be some sort of coating that will likely make your first few stops a bit interesting.

Thanks for the info. So would you not recommend them?
Awtrace is offline   Reply With Quote