E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
mpwr92

My Ride: e46 m3 smg
e46 m3 smg downshift

Hey guys just got a 2004 e46 m3 smg just trying to get my head around this smg gearbox I was going down a little hill the other day and I down shifted from 4 to 2 gear it sounded like it hit rev limiter but felt like the clutch was disengaged is this normal for smg im thinking its a safety thing as the revs went back down and the clutch engaged again is this how they work I was driving it in S2 mode if that helps?
mpwr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
dlara01

My Ride: chevy
Re: e46 m3 smg downshift

Yes it will not let you over rev the engine. My question is why did you downshift? This isn't an 18 wheeler pulling a trailer. Should only down shift to go faster for the most part. I take my smg to the track, the great thing is that you can't miss a gear downshifting and blow an engine.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using BimmerApp mobile app
dlara01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
mpwr92

My Ride: e46 m3 smg
Yeh I understand it isn't a 18 wheeler just didn't wanna brake as much but to be honest i don't even think it hit 8000 rpm rev limiter it sounded more like 5,500 but I could be wrong is that how they are? As the speed reduced she was back on
mpwr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
You shouldn't be downshifting to slow down your car under any circumstances. It's one thing to coast down in gear, which is okay. It's quite another to drop to a lower gear to save wear on your brake pads and rotors. Pads and rotors are easy to replace, and are relatively inexpensive. Moreover, they are designed to stop your car. You cannot say the same for engines, clutches, or transmissions.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
choxor

My Ride: JDM
While it's not a manual, it's still a 100% manual transmission and you have to treat it as such. Same thing would have happened if you put the car in second and let the clutch out.

Brakes are for slowing and stopping the car. That's their job. While there's nothing wrong with using the transmission to slow down (I do it a lot when I drive a conventional manual), it's obvious that you went into second while going way too fast.

Last edited by choxor; 09-19-2013 at 10:27 AM.
choxor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
///M3murray

My Ride: Bmw e46 M3
Try throttle blipping immediately after you pull the paddle, this allows for a smoother downshift
///M3murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
The SMG likes to down shift on its own, just brake and let it happen.

If your having fun though, by all means, down shift, but there is a 3rd gear you could go into first to keep this from happening.