E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
Cayne23

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
Car wont start

Well, while sitting at a red light, on a very slight, slight hill, my car dropped idle and died. Will only bounce the tach while crankinh, but wont start. Have full power. Not a battery issue. Got it towed to my indy right as they were closing. My mechanic cranked it and said, " well its not sputtering, might b a camshaft sensor. Will let me know tomorrow. I hope its not a fuel pump. He said thats like 600-700 off hand. F*CK!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Cayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Cayne23

Re: Car wont start

Any ideas or help would b great

Old 09-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
600-700?!

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Cayne23

Yea and thats my indy shop. This is my dd so I neef it by monday. Im in a tight spot. Omg. I neef a diff car

Old 09-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayne23 View Post
Yea and thats my indy shop. This is my dd so I neef it by monday. Im in a tight spot. Omg. I neef a diff car

You need different expectations. **** is going to happen with 10yo cars, and parts for this car are not cheap.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Cayne23

Yea I know. I've had this car for a year now. I love it but damn, this dream car is a nightmare sometimes. My wife hates this car cuz its so expensive

Old 09-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
Imanewbie

My Ride: 328i zsp
Car wont start

Sell it now, you have a big issue with your car based on what you described....junk.

Imanewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
Cayne23

Yea thinking of fixing this and then trading it in

Old 09-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Imanewbie

Car wont start

We are so very sorry you don't know or have a worthy mechanic, don't forget bmw makes the ultimate driving machine after you buy your Honda.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Imanewbie

Car wont start

Your issue is the fuel pump, man up and do it yourself for a 100 some odd bucks if you love the car. If you don't love it then my opinion is to sell it.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
Cayne23

Well I dropped my car off at 6pm as they were closing. My mechanic called me at 9:30 this morning and told me its definately the fuel pump. They tested it and got no response from it. He also suggested that I replace the fuel filter also. He told me they probably wouldnt b able to get the parts until monday, so it would b rdy by tuesday morning. Then this afternoon at 2pm they call me and say they're finishing up my car now and it would b rdy for pick up by 3pm. Wow, even last night when I dropped It off I talked to one of the salesman there and he told me they are very packed with customers. He said, " did they tell you how long it was going to b until they look at your car? " I told him, marcelo, my mechanic, told me he would look at it right away. Hmmm... not only looked at ir lt right away but fixed it too. The car feels good now. Maybe even a.little more responsive. The cost of 700 parts and labor for the pump and an extra 100 parts and labor for the filter. Ouch. The pump was 400 alone. Sux. I know I could've diy it but, I couldnt have got the parts or did it that quick. I wonder if the M got me first priority over other ppl thay were there before me

Old 09-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayne23 View Post
I wonder if the M got me first priority over other ppl thay were there before me

It only takes 20 mins to swap out the fuel pump. 10 mm socket/wrench, a small pry bar and rubber mallet is all you need. It could also have been a $25 fuel pump relay that went bad, and they told you it was the expensive fuel pump. Ask to see the old fuel pump and filter when you pick up the car.

It wasn't the M3 that got you special treatment, it was the ease of swapping out the fuel components that got you ahead. Remove the rear lower seat is so easy, any mechanic would bump you up and swap it out on their lunch break and profit. On a lift, it only takes 10-15 mins to swap out the fuel filter.

Shop gets parts at at wholesale pricing with no tax, since they resell it. I'm surprise they didn't cut you a break on that or labor. $800 is rather high for what it is.

Video explains the ease of swapping out the fuel pump, start at 2:55. Just three tools needed, and you'll see why it took 20 mins to swap out without a sweat.

intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
Cayne23

Yea this diy is way easy but, like I said, this car is my dd and I couldnt get the parts that quickly. So I had to pay. Time is money. I didnt have the time to wait so I had to pay. Sux. But on a brighter note, they do a full inspection of my car when its there and let me know if anything else needs foxing, of course lol. Everything is solid

Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
Imanewbie

Car wont start

Sorry if I come off as a dick, I read your post and assumed you have a BMW as a status symbol. If you love your car and can't afford the maintenance then I would highly consider DIY. It would cost $320 from horse power freaks and its not hard to do, pop the rear seat bottom off and there she is.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #15
Cayne23

No. I have my ///m because I love the car. Theres too many things about it that just make it kick ass compared to other sports cars out there. I not only like a car that can ball ass down the straight away, but torque hard through the turns too. Im the past 13 months that I've owned it, my throwout bearing went up, 35 bucks but the clutch is only 5 min more labor so might as well do that too. Also did the slave cylinder and shift fork. Rear seal checked and looks good 1750.00. Throttle actuator and a tps replaced, 800.00. Front wheel bearing, 45.00. And now the fuel pump and filter, 835.00. Expensive year