E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #21
carcus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mountain Roads
Posts: 5,566
My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
One last thing....the HP on my Jag and 911 are decent for today...but you have to understand, they are not muscle cars. You only have so much to work with. One thing is for sure though....if you like your car you will still be happy I am still searching for my dream BMW 2002 or better yet...a barn find Sunbeam Tiger.
__________________
2006 M5 E60, "Lord Vader" Last real NA M series
German Car Fanatic. Colorado ///M Flight member, BMW CCA member.
carcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #22
NumbaOneNewb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,150
My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Don't get sprint booster. It's a scam. All it really does is allows you to increase the throttle load in relation to how far your gas pedal has to travel. However, let's say you want max response. As an example, let's say you could adjust it where you barely have stepped on it half way down and it feels like you're flooring it. Well, however further that gas pedal gets pushed down pass that point will not yield any more "boost". It just allows you to dictate how far your gas pedal must travel
__________________
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:42 AM   #23
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 2,065
My Ride: E46, Quattros, Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Don't get sprint booster. It's a scam. All it really does is allows you to increase the throttle load in relation to how far your gas pedal has to travel. However, let's say you want max response. As an example, let's say you could adjust it where you barely have stepped on it half way down and it feels like you're flooring it. Well, however further that gas pedal gets pushed down pass that point will not yield any more "boost". It just allows you to dictate how far your gas pedal must travel
I get what you are saying and I agree but it feels good having it. In hindsight was this feeling worth $300? Probably not. But I enjoy it regardless.
__________________


2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"
1993 Audi 90 Quattro V6 "Lydia II"
1994 Mazda Miata R-Spec Race Prep "Natasha"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #24
Gevojan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 13
My Ride: 2003 325i
I understand what you guys are saying, and when it comes to maintenance, I do and will continue to follow up on my cars upkeep, and because my dad was the original owner I know everything about the car. But besides that, I have done a lot of research on this stuff, asked my mechanic and a BMW mechanic and I don't want my car to be insane fast, just want to up the performance a bit. I know that the 325i lacks power, so I don't see how its not worth it to spend a 100-150 on ebay headers, and stripping my car of unnecessary weight. Then maybe another 200-300 on a higher ratio differential maybe a 3.91. Lastly, buying some shark injectors to make up for not reaching 60mph in second gear at 6500 rpm but rather reaching it at 7k. I know buying those things will come down to less than the difference of selling my 325 and buying a 330 instead
Gevojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #25
NumbaOneNewb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,150
My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Well, if you're good with computers, you can get a hold of a obd2 to usb cable, get the winkfp inpa ediabas software, flash your ecu with euro 2 firmware and gain more with that than you could per dollar wise. Supposedly on a 325 it ups your hp and torque, unlike the 330 which only helps a bit with torque. Plus it will remove top speed limit, increase throttle response, and up the Rev limit to 6800, I think. Maybe 6700 I forgot. All for the price between $20-40, with $20 just for the cable. Some people sell the software with it for $40 although the software can be found for free
__________________
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 09-23-2013 at 10:35 PM.
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #26
tenandtwo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 196
My Ride: E46 330i, E36 (RIP)
As hard as it might be, try to think very rationally about your current situation. Spending money on mods to make your car faster may be an attractive idea now, but there are many easy to install maintenance items which can bring your car to a halt. You will be more proud of your car knowing it is well maintained. Just my 1 cent, sorry I can't spare the other cent, it was spent on maintenance items. (I'm a cheesy old man)
__________________
tenandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #27
Gevojan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 13
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenandtwo View Post
As hard as it might be, try to think very rationally about your current situation. Spending money on mods to make your car faster may be an attractive idea now, but there are many easy to install maintenance items which can bring your car to a halt. You will be more proud of your car knowing it is well maintained. Just my 1 cent, sorry I can't spare the other cent, it was spent on maintenance items. (I'm a cheesy old man)
I understand where you're coming from, I hear that from my dad all the time lol. But what do you mean by that specifically? Are you saying that in reply to my idea of using shark injectors? (cause i know all the other mods i posted aren't really capable of doing any engine damage) Is it really that bad? Cause I only plan on actually reaching 7k rpm when I'm doing 0-60 runs every now and then, not something i would be doing on the weekly maybe not even monthly. Just a once in a blue moon so i escape having to shift to 3rd gear before reaching 60 and losing a second on my 0-60 time. My dad passed down this car to me and he said I would have to keep it for another 4 years. I really do love my 325i, very loyal and very elegant. I just want to give it some more power since I'll be having it for a while
Gevojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #28
Gevojan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 13
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Well, if you're good with computers, you can get a hold of a obd2 to usb cable, get the winkfp inpa ediabas software, flash your ecu with euro 2 firmware and gain more with that than you could per dollar wise. Supposedly on a 325 it ups your hp and torque, unlike the 330 which only helps a bit with torque. Plus it will remove top speed limit, increase throttle response, and up the Rev limit to 6800, I think. Maybe 6700 I forgot. All for the price between $20-40, with $20 just for the cable. Some people sell the software with it for $40 although the software can be found for free
How well does this software work compared to shark injectors? Which do you guys recommend? Which is safer?
Gevojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #29
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 2,065
My Ride: E46, Quattros, Miata
Take this in the least offensive way possible. You say that you know everything about this car but that is what everyone says. The truth is you know very little about this car. Very few people can actually say that know their car inside and out. And I don't know you, maybe you do know about your car. But there are several things to lead me to believe you don't. Firstly, you keep referring to the Shark Injector as plural which leads me to believe that you think they are actual fuel injectors. Now, I'm ok with you not understanding the brand name because you are new, but you don't realize that injectors are not the key factor in raising your rev limit. Both the Shark and the euro tune are software upgrades. In terms of risk, they are both risky because you are trying to improve on the work of BMW engineers with phd's. That's not going to happen. And if you do successfully raise your rev limit, you had better do some key maintenance items unless you want to do some car shopping.
__________________


2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"
1993 Audi 90 Quattro V6 "Lydia II"
1994 Mazda Miata R-Spec Race Prep "Natasha"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #30
Gevojan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 13
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
No. Not at all.
First of all, losing weight adds nothing to your crank hp. Even hypothetically.
It adds to your power to weight ratio which is what you'd be looking at when loosing weight.
Also, swapping a diff will make your 0-60 times slower. Sounds crazy right? Well if you'll notice your stock car reaches about 62 mph in 2nd gear. It takes about 1 second to shift. So you're technically loosing 1 second. Especially in an auto where you can't speed up shift times.
So if you're already at 6.5 you'll be between 7 and 7.5 if you swap a diff.
What about a shark injector to elongate to rpm range? and for shift speed, wont a ess transmission software speed up my cars gear shift?
Gevojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #31
Gevojan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 13
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Take this in the least offensive way possible. You say that you know everything about this car but that is what everyone says. The truth is you know very little about this car. Very few people can actually say that know their car inside and out. And I don't know you, maybe you do know about your car. But there are several things to lead me to believe you don't. Firstly, you keep referring to the Shark Injector as plural which leads me to believe that you think they are actual fuel injectors. Now, I'm ok with you not understanding the brand name because you are new, but you don't realize that injectors are not the key factor in raising your rev limit. Both the Shark and the euro tune are software upgrades. In terms of risk, they are both risky because you are trying to improve on the work of BMW engineers with phd's. That's not going to happen. And if you do successfully raise your rev limit, you had better do some key maintenance items unless you want to do some car shopping.
Yeah sorry force of habit, usually whenever I say injector I am talking about multiple injectors. I know its a software, but I also know that cars are made by engineers who know that occasionally the rpm will go in the redline range(whatever the reason), so i know that if I do the shark injector mod, it shouldn't occur on a day to day basis, but if it does happen it should be so detrimental as long as I'm not doing it frequently. I know, I know intentionally allowing the engine to rev into that range isn't something I should be doing, but its only going to be done so rarely.
Gevojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #32
ti317
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 663
My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevojan View Post
What about a shark injector to elongate to rpm range? and for shift speed, wont a ess transmission software speed up my cars gear shift?
I have used Conforti software and Active Autowerke and Active delivers way more bang. Being automatic though I don't think either will change rev limits as the trans program will be affected.
You can actually feel the change after installing Active software.
__________________
Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
ti317 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #33
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 2,065
My Ride: E46, Quattros, Miata
I'd be curious to know if the auto will even get close to the modified limit. And you can spend all you want on modifying the car's software but the truth is it's pretty pointless. You won't feel the increase it just makes you feel better. If you want to spend many hundreds to feel better about your car's performance, go right ahead.
__________________


2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"
1993 Audi 90 Quattro V6 "Lydia II"
1994 Mazda Miata R-Spec Race Prep "Natasha"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #34
Gevojan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 13
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
I'd be curious to know if the auto will even get close to the modified limit. And you can spend all you want on modifying the car's software but the truth is it's pretty pointless. You won't feel the increase it just makes you feel better. If you want to spend many hundreds to feel better about your car's performance, go right ahead.
Yeah I understand what you're saying. The only reason I am interested in the software is actually cause I want the extra rpm range for the differential swap I'm looking into, and if I don't extend my range, I will have to shift into 3rd going from 0-60, then my differential upgrade would be useless.
Gevojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #35
peytonracer4
:D
 
peytonracer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,689
My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevojan View Post
What about a shark injector to elongate to rpm range? and for shift speed, wont a ess transmission software speed up my cars gear shift?
if you want to increase your 0-60 time you need to do the following:
manual swap. no matter how much power you gain, i will ALWAYS be able to beat you in a drag race because autos are slow. especially off the line.
less weight. take everything out. sound proofing, seats, engine covers, wiper arms, washer tank. everything you can. this will make a big difference.
new air box with larger filter.
330 intake manifold. port and polish your intake and exhaust ports. do not do this yourself. have a shop do it.
get a more aggressive cam shaft. not sure what e46 can run. i know the zhp cams are more aggressive but you can probably run even hotter.
get catless headers. your stock cat back is probably pretty good but you'd be better off getting a lighter exhaust because stock is heavy.
get a custom tune. with that port/polish and cams, an over the counter tune won't due.
remove your stupid aux fan. both of them and replace it with an electric fan. less weight and more power gained.
delete your ac.
delete your power steering system. less weight.

you should be quick after that but understand, your car will idle like crap and be extremely uncomfortable after all of this. it will be quick though. race car quick.
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #36
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian
 
Marshmallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 2,065
My Ride: E46, Quattros, Miata
We have all overlooked something very important. He has a 2003 in Cali. It's a SULEV.
__________________


2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"
1993 Audi 90 Quattro V6 "Lydia II"
1994 Mazda Miata R-Spec Race Prep "Natasha"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #37
peytonracer4
:D
 
peytonracer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,689
My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
We have all overlooked something very important. He has a 2003 in Cali. It's a SULEV.

forget everything suggested OP. your car is already the fastest e46 made.
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #38
Gevojan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 13
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
if you want to increase your 0-60 time you need to do the following:
manual swap. no matter how much power you gain, i will ALWAYS be able to beat you in a drag race because autos are slow. especially off the line.
less weight. take everything out. sound proofing, seats, engine covers, wiper arms, washer tank. everything you can. this will make a big difference.
new air box with larger filter.
330 intake manifold. port and polish your intake and exhaust ports. do not do this yourself. have a shop do it.
get a more aggressive cam shaft. not sure what e46 can run. i know the zhp cams are more aggressive but you can probably run even hotter.
get catless headers. your stock cat back is probably pretty good but you'd be better off getting a lighter exhaust because stock is heavy.
get a custom tune. with that port/polish and cams, an over the counter tune won't due.
remove your stupid aux fan. both of them and replace it with an electric fan. less weight and more power gained.
delete your ac.
delete your power steering system. less weight.

you should be quick after that but understand, your car will idle like crap and be extremely uncomfortable after all of this. it will be quick though. race car quick.
That's a lot of stuff to do, which will cost a lot of money lol. Maybe one day, but that's a big commitment which will require a lot of work and time. Appreciate the idea though, just don't think its something I'll be doing anytime soon
Gevojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #39
peytonracer4
:D
 
peytonracer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,689
My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevojan View Post
That's a lot of stuff to do, which will cost a lot of money lol. Maybe one day, but that's a big commitment which will require a lot of work and time. Appreciate the idea though, just don't think its something I'll be doing anytime soon
that list consists of everything you can do. there's nothing else. pick and choose
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #40
tks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Online
Posts: 838
My Ride: slower than yours
e46 325i mods

get six shark injectors, one for each cylinder and try to work them in between the sucking and blowing and you'll be fine.
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use