E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
SK8URDEAD

My Ride: TopazBlu 325I
Future Plans

I am currently overseas till july 2015, with all the money i have saved up im looking to put in a FI kit into my nice little 325i. of course some would ask why not buy an M3? simple, my car is already fully paid off and i have grown very attached to her since i bought her almost 4 years ago . plus i rather not have to have a car bill again since the rest of the money after the FI Kit is going towards a BMW S1000RR. anyone that knows that bike knows its the real deal! so my real question im getting at is what would you go for? Technique Tunnings Turbo, or Active Autoworke's StgII SC? any other suggestions are welcome.
Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.

Last edited by SK8URDEAD; 09-22-2013 at 12:05 AM.
SK8URDEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Avetiso

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
I'd go with an S54 swap instead. It's much more difficult, but I think it'd be worth it over FI in the long run.
Avetiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: '04 M54b25Ci
buy all the proformance parts
JapanRot325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
SK8URDEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
I'd go with an S54 swap instead. It's much more difficult, but I think it'd be worth it over FI in the long run.
honestly that was an option aswell. i just love the sound of FI.
Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
Avetiso

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8URDEAD View Post
honestly that was an option aswell. i just love the sound of FI.
Ha, I'm a sucker for supercharger whine. But think of it this way: once to turbo/supercharge it, you pretty much hit the cars limits because M54 can't handle much boost. You'd have to swap out some internals. With S54, you get the same performance, roughly, but then you still have a lot of room to grow.

I also love high revving engines.
Avetiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:51 AM   #6
ApolloTheGod

My Ride: E92, E46, E36, Caddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
N54 swap or gtfo. It bolts up and can make 600 crank for 2k
ApolloTheGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
mdrobnak

My Ride: 04 330i SMG TT STG1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
That's a serious misrepresentation of the cost - it's a lot of labor to make it work. Not only that, the S54 is higher maintenance in the long run then the M54.

OP: What are your long-term performance goals? I notice your sig says no such thing as done...if that's the case, the S54 may be for you. If you're ok with the high 300s to the wheels (Stage 2 330 kit is 375 to the wheels, not sure where you'd fair with the 325), the Technique Tuning kit is best bang for your buck.

Keep in mind with both the S54 swap and higher torque options with the M54, supporting components tend to like to break.

Whatever you choose, I'm certain you'll be happy with the results.

-Matt

EDIT: Totally read S54. Can't speak to N54.

Last edited by mdrobnak; 09-23-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: I can't read.
mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
ESS twin screw
Old 09-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
I would wait until 2015...your life priorities will probably change. Every time I travel overseas I come back a different person...
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
daemonicus

My Ride: batmobile
Quote:
I am currently overseas till july 2015, with all the money i have saved up im looking to put in a FI kit into my nice little 325i. of course some would ask why not buy an M3? simple, my car is already fully paid off and i have grown very attached to her since i bought her almost 4 years ago . plus i rather not have to have a car bill again since the rest of the money after the FI Kit is going towards a BMW S1000RR. anyone that knows that bike knows its the real deal! so my real question im getting at is what would you go for? Technique Tunnings Turbo, or Active Autoworke's StgII SC? any other suggestions are welcome.
i would personally go with the TT kit just for price vs performance. the 325 kit wont be listed on their website but it does exist and someone on this forum has already done it.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=828666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod
please explain your logic very precisely. i would like parts cost, labor costs, headache costs for getting the electronics to work right, and i'd also like to know how many times you've personally done that swap for 2k and made 600 hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci
I would wait until 2015...your life priorities will probably change. Every time I travel overseas I come back a different person...
this.
daemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
S54 FTW!! Just don't take as long to do it as I have or you will have all these people hating
Old 09-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
You have alot of options laid out on the table. The mere fact that you have your E46 325i paid off and attachment the next big step would be going F/I. I will be more than glad to send you over more information on our S/C to think over for when you come back.
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:31 AM   #13
BMW E465

My Ride: 1dirty5
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonicus View Post
please explain your logic very precisely. i would like parts cost, labor costs, headache costs for getting the electronics to work right, and i'd also like to know how many times you've personally done that swap for 2k and made 600 hp.
The engine can make 600hp crank (I think its more like 500-550 personally) for 2k. $400 tune, $350 catless downpipe, $400 meth injection, $500 fmic, $80 dual cone intakes, + install. This is on a factory equipped N54 btw. On a e46 swap it'd be much more due to custom parts needing to be fabricated.

+1 for s54

Last edited by BMW E465; 09-26-2013 at 02:32 AM.
BMW E465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post
no one (including you) doesn't even know if this swap can be done successfully. Further, OP's car is a nice daily driven car, not some hack box he's going to screw modules onto with zip ties (DME hanging from the rear view mirror) with 10,000 lights on the dash lit up. This has to be a fully functional (I mean fully) car for OP. Not some gutted track rat with pedo bear stickers on the side

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Future Plans

OP, rank?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Future Plans

Also, how much riding experience do you have?

Old 09-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
Turbo all the way
Old 12-07-2013, 03:12 AM   #18
SK8URDEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
OP, rank?

Still Rocking that Lcpl rank lmao. although i'll be picking up soon, if i had an admin's cutting score id probably be a close to picking up SGT by now lmao...
Old 12-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #19
lrinco01

My Ride: 01HPF Stg2 M3, 11'X5
Send a message via Yahoo to lrinco01 Send a message via Skype™ to lrinco01
either way, i'm interested to see what you chose works for you.

me, i'd go Built & Stroked S54 with a Turbo kit! the ultimate sleeper of an E46 Sedan in the USA! although Lutz has built one and mert in Turkey has an AWD M3 but like others have said, you have options and an opportunity to be unique and stand out amongst us mere mortal peasants! lol

Good luck Lcpl
HPF Stg.2 on the new Pt6766 Turbo/ Open Dump/ AA Lightweight flywheel/ Aggressive Tune good for 661 RWHP!

2012 X5D 3.5i - Family hauler
2000 323ci - work in progress - wife's D/D
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L LTD, Fully optioned up......soon TRD supercharged

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953
lrinco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #20
SK8URDEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrinco01 View Post
either way, i'm interested to see what you chose works for you.

me, i'd go Built & Stroked S54 with a Turbo kit! the ultimate sleeper of an E46 Sedan in the USA! although Lutz has built one and mert in Turkey has an AWD M3 but like others have said, you have options and an opportunity to be unique and stand out amongst us mere mortal peasants! lol

Good luck Lcpl
hmm well the thing is i know when i get back ill have atleast $15k budget for my car. if i were to go with the S54 i'd look for the motor, trans, and bottom rear end. i feel like that alone would be around $5k-$6k after that use what i need to SC or Turbo the car. Then again i'd like to just SC/T my car and buy a nice alpine white or Topaz Blue M3 to match my Sedan haha.