E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
TSR6

My Ride: Keg Sled
Any Gun Talk deer hunters?

It's getting to be that time of year again. I've had the trail camera out for a month now. I tried to tune-up the hunting rifle at the range today (but alas, due to the crowd, I went home.... - 20-30 minute wait to even get a bench in the 100-200 range).

Here's some of the highlights from the trail camera this year thus far:

I'll be hunting with my .300WSM Browning A-Bolt Ti for hunting in-state. If I get a chance to go out of state this year (unlikely), I'll also have my bolt action slug gun tuned up as a back-up.

So... Do you deer hunt? What guns do you use?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Benelli SuperBlackEagle with slug barrel and Leupold Vari-X II 1-4x20 Shotgun scope, and Hornady SST slugs. I hunt on the north side of Fountain, MN, which is the Sinkhole capitol of the world. It's a corn and bean field with woods to the west and dozens of wooded sinkholes. Fountain is south of Rochester.
I skipped last year because our deer numbers are way down. There is a 50% chance I will skip this year too. Last year my brother and dad didn't get squat, and we used to see tons of deer. I'm not too keen on getting up at the asscrack of dawn to sit in a ground blind, only to see nothing, freeze my ass off and fight off the ZZZZ Monster.
We'll see what the scouting reports look like this fall.

Most of my vacation is getting used up for pheasant hunting in South Dakota.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
TSR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Benelli SuperBlackEagle with slug barrel and Leupold Vari-X II 1-4x20 Shotgun scope, and Hornady SST slugs. I hunt on the north side of Fountain, MN, which is the Sinkhole capitol of the world. It's a corn and bean field with woods to the west and dozens of wooded sinkholes. Fountain is south of Rochester.
I skipped last year because our deer numbers are way down. There is a 50% chance I will skip this year too. Last year my brother and dad didn't get squat, and we used to see tons of deer. I'm not too keen on getting up at the asscrack of dawn to sit in a ground blind, only to see nothing, freeze my ass off and fight off the ZZZZ Monster.
We'll see what the scouting reports look like this fall.

Most of my vacation is getting used up for pheasant hunting in South Dakota.
I have a racing friend that lives just outside of Rochester!

I assume you've restricted to slugguns? I used to have to deal with that for IL and the area I hunt in WI. I now no longer hunt IL due to the outrageous out of state fees after I moved to WI. The area I hunt in Wisconsin allowed rifles just a few years back.

My new go-to slug gun is a Browning A-Bolt 12g slug gun w/ Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50 scope. I had been shooting the Partition Gold slugs out of my Ithaca Deerslayer - switched to the newer XP3 slugs when I got my A-Bolt, but switched yet again to the Hornady SST slugs just this past year. The A-Bolt really can't tell the difference between the XP3's and the SST's - both seemed just as accurate, so I stuck with the $10 box of SST shells instead of the $18 box of XP3's.

I hear ya on seeing nothing - at least you're in a ground blind. Nothing like getting the "nods" in a treestand 12' off the ground, lol.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
I've been going the past several years with my father-in-law and one of my brother-in-laws. I'm currently using a Winchester Woodsmaster 30-06.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
I go up by Thief River Falls, MN every year. Last year was a disappointment due to the increased range of the wolves up north taking out a lot of deer, I only filled one of my two tags and the group I go with probably filled 50% of the tags we had. Currently shoot a Tikka T3 stainless in .270 with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40.

I "hunt" in what amounts to a giant tree house with windows and a wood burning stove (hang blaze orange around the whole thing even though I'm on 300+ acres of private land). My group will occasionally go out and drive deer for a bit but end up back in the stand after an hour or so. I don't know how you guys deal with freezing your ass off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I've been going the past several years with my father-in-law and one of my brother-in-laws. I'm currently using a Winchester Woodsmaster 30-06.
^ You mean Remington Woodsmaster? I used to have that one in a .308, it was a jam-o-matic so I quickly sold it.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 09-23-2013 at 03:35 PM.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I go up by Thief River Falls, MN every year. Last year was a disappointment due to the increased range of the wolves up north taking out a lot of deer, I only filled one of my two tags and the group I go with probably filled 50% of the tags we had. Currently shoot a Tikka T3 stainless in .270 with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40.

I "hunt" in what amounts to a giant tree house with windows and a wood burning stove (hang blaze orange around the whole thing even though I'm on 300+ acres of private land). My group will occasionally go out and drive deer for a bit but end up back in the stand after an hour or so. I don't know how you guys deal with freezing your ass off.

^ You mean Remington Woodsmaster? I used to have that one in a .308, it was a jam-o-matic so I quickly sold it.
That's not hunting. That's shooting at dear from your house

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Reedo302

My in-laws have land up by Aitkin, north of Lake Mille Lacs. It's mostly wooded, so they all run .30-30 lever rifles. I could go up and use rifle up there, but their numbers are way down too; presumably because of the wolves. Most people up there were pretty happy when the DNR authorized that wolf harvest.
I don't currently have a heavier rifle than 5.56, but I'd be perfectly content popping Bambi with a 70gr TSX

Glock Armorer

Old 09-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
GasKing

Quote:
My in-laws have land up by Aitkin, north of Lake Mille Lacs. It's mostly wooded, so they all run .30-30 lever rifles. I could go up and use rifle up there, but their numbers are way down too; presumably because of the wolves. Most people up there were pretty happy when the DNR authorized that wolf harvest.
I don't currently have a heavier rifle than 5.56, but I'd be perfectly content popping Bambi with a 70gr TSX
I'd love wolf fur. Reedo make that happen man. I'm positive you could pop a headshot without leaving your house.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
TSR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post

I know someone that could hunt from their hottub if they wanted...

Quote:
I've heard the same about the wolves in No. Wi. - Deer herd #'s up there have plummeted.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post

You jelly bro?

Why would I want to freeze my ass off when I can sit in my deer (note, not dear) stand and relax?

Forgot to mention this but this summer I went up and added what amounts to a deck to the front of the stand with a lawn chair and a ladder to the roof.

Whoever doesn't hunt like this is missing out.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 09-24-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
You jelly bro?

Why would I want to freeze my ass off when I can sit in my deer (note, not dear) stand and relax?
Personally, I enjoy sitting outside in a tree stand in the cold. I don't think hunting from my living room would be as enjoyable.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
SamDoe1

I'm not sure where you hunt but cold in MO does not equal cold in northern MN.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
I haven't been in a few years, mainly since we had kids. My father in law still asks me every year and I know he doesn't understand my priorities
He is the sort of guy who is there before dawn and stays until dusk, with a 30 minute break for lunch. I wasn't raised with hunting, but I'm pretty sure some of my buddies will just hunt until noon, then play cards & drink the rest of the day. That sounds far more enjoyable that the flavor of hunting I've been brought into which is to freeze your nads off for 12 hours / day, multiple days in a row, even if you aren't seeing anything.

Now when I go I do 1 day...if I don't see anything that day, I'm done for the season.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
I haven't been in a few years, mainly since we had kids. My father in law still asks me every year and I know he doesn't understand my priorities
He is the sort of guy who is there before dawn and stays until dusk, with a 30 minute break for lunch. I wasn't raised with hunting, but I'm pretty sure some of my buddies will just hunt until noon, then play cards & drink the rest of the day. That sounds far more enjoyable that the flavor of hunting I've been brought into which is to freeze your nads off for 12 hours / day, multiple days in a row, even if you aren't seeing anything.

Now when I go I do 1 day...if I don't see anything that day, I'm done for the season.
This is pretty much what I do except for the whole freezing part. Whenever I get a deer, I give it to my wife's grandparents so they can eat the meat for the winter in exchange for them letting me use their land. I don't do it to survive so I just go out early in the morning and come home/start drinking around 3pm.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
GasKing

Quote:
You jelly bro?

Forgot to mention this but this summer I went up and added what amounts to a deck to the front of the stand with a lawn chair and a ladder to the roof.

Whoever doesn't hunt like this is missing out.
Actually yes. That's exactly how I'd like to hunt. Pm me. Share the love broseph

Old 09-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
TSR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Personally, I enjoy sitting outside in a tree stand in the cold. I don't think hunting from my living room would be as enjoyable.
I do actually enjoy being "outdoors" - even if it's cold. I've even hunted the day it was ~12* below zero. Only lasted 2 hours on stand before I get to get down and walk around. That was the absolute worst day of hunting ever.

I shot my first buck in 1999 at age 14 during a snowstorm. Pop's an & I were sitting in the truck while it blizzard'ed outside. He wanted to wait till it stopped - I wanted to go hunting "NOW" - I got my way. We trudged through the snow, we split ways to our stands ( only 250-300 yards apart) - I sat down. Within 15 minutes, it had just about quit snowing. 20 minutes after it quit snowing - nice 8-point buck strolled through. He sure was tasty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post

I'm in the stand from dusk (6:30 or so) until 10:30, lunch, and then I'm usually back in my stand around 2-2:30. Neighbors don't come back to their stands till 3pm or later, so It's always a goal to at least beat them by an hour...
Old 09-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #17
Reedo302

I'm fine being outdoors sitting in a ground blind for about an hour. Then I'm done. ADD kicks in and I want to massacre something.
That, and work vampire hours, so being awake at 7am is like sleep deprivation torture. I can barely do it. I've missed deer because I've fallen asleep and woke up to see white asshole hopping away.

Glock Armorer

Old 09-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #18
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Went hunting on Saturday at 4,800 ft in the Oregon Cascades. Western Oregon deer. Hiked straight up a steep-assed hill for 2 hours in the freezing rain. Saw a bunch of bear sh1t, elk sh1t and deer sh1t, but no deer. At 1 pm decided that I had had enough of standing in the rain. Beautiful country and an awesome hike . . but I'll hold out for better weather. Maybe elk season will be better. At least my wife has been understanding with my need to "sight in" my rifle in the back yard - repeatedly over the last 2 weeks.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #19
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
(cross)bow starts oct 5.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.

Last edited by MpoweredM; 09-30-2013 at 10:06 PM.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #20
TSR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Went hunting on Saturday at 4,800 ft in the Oregon Cascades. Western Oregon deer. Hiked straight up a steep-assed hill for 2 hours in the freezing rain.
Maaan... I'm officially jealous.