E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
FCAB's - POLY or Meyle HD

Ok I had original FCAB's which at some point I switched to the Power Flex Poly which came preassembled and lubed with the copper grease. Reason is because the old ones gave out after 50K. Now it looks like it is time to replace the Power Flex ones. I have probably 80K on those. They are starting to squeak a lot more, the drivers side one, the inner part has actually slid forward on the LCA and the passenger one I can grab the LCA and see movement in the FCAB when the car is jacked up. So the hole where the LCA goes into the FCAB looks to now being stretched larger (probably why the driver side one slid forward) Noticed all of this after hearing a little bit of a banging going on in the front end.

So I know I have to replace them. I noticed no real difference from the rubber to the poly the first time. (only thing being I just got like 50% more life out of the poly ones.)

Anybody have the Meyle HD ones? Would anyone recommend going back to poly? The slight creaking of the poly (even with the copper grease) is a little annoying, more on cooler days. How does the Meyle HD hold up?

I'm leaning on going back to rubber.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
peytonracer4

My Ride: '00 328i
i noticed a big difference when going from rubber oem to poly. car feels a little snappier. granted, my rubber ones werent new but they definitely had life left.
i'd say go with rubber if you had bad squeaking with the poly. mine don't squeak yet but i haven't had them long.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
hanna

My Ride: BMW 328i
I just installed Meyle HD bushings last week. Do not like them. No more shuddering of the steering wheel when braking sharply and everuthing feels tight but HD are causing annoying vibration of the steering wheel at 60-65 mph. Lemforder for me next time.
hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna View Post
I just installed Meyle HD bushings last week. Do not like them. No more shuddering of the steering wheel when braking sharply and everuthing feels tight but HD are causing annoying vibration of the steering wheel at 60-65 mph. Lemforder for me next time.
i don't think that's due to the bushings. that's something else.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
hanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
wrong. research. "something else" is new.

Last edited by hanna; 09-23-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
peytonracer4

what do you mean research? vibration at certain speeds is almost impossible to be caused by bushings. that would be a balancing/wheel bearing/ball joint thing.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
biMMer4.4i

My Ride: 2002 330i

I think powerflex fcabs have a lifetime warranty, at least I think that's what I read when I bought mine. I'm surprised yours don't?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by biMMer4.4i; 09-23-2013 at 08:28 PM.
biMMer4.4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
MadLow

My Ride: 2004 330CI
Quote:
your control arm ball joints are shot, u are just noticing that now since u changed your fcab bushings
MadLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
dreyo27

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by biMMer4.4i View Post
I think powerflex fcabs have a lifetime warranty, at least I think that's why I read when I bought mine.

Yep go with these and they dont squeek. I had myle HD and they last me an avarage of 25k but I am a spirited driver.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #10
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Quote:
wrong. research. "something else" is new.
Peytonracer is correct. Your car needs maintenance if its vibrating, Hanna.

My car has Meyle HD bushings and my car's steering is smooth and accurate as a GPS-guided missile.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Stick around a little while to see the info gathered on the steering. It's all been discussed in suspension

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:23 AM   #11
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
what do you mean research? vibration at certain speeds is almost impossible to be caused by bushings. that would be a balancing/wheel bearing/ball joint thing.
Stiff bushings can make road imperfections more apparent, and it's plausible that those can cause vibrations (that are always there, but only noticeable at certain speeds).

Or it can be unrelated. I had some vibrations that I've been chasing for a while but just couldn't figure it out (seemed wheel related, but it was not bent). I finally took it to an auto-x this weekend, and I swear it's gone. I'm thinking I had a flat spot on my tire and basically burned it round again lol.

Well if I'm honest, there are still some vibrations once you get to 110+, but I don't think there's much you can do to avoid that if you don't have autobahn quality roads
Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix330ci View Post
Anybody have the Meyle HD ones? Would anyone recommend going back to poly? The slight creaking of the poly (even with the copper grease) is a little annoying, more on cooler days. How does the Meyle HD hold up?

I'm leaning on going back to rubber.
I had the Meyle HD ones on my car and was not impressed. After 40,000 miles of use I started to get vibration under braking and some imprecise steering.

I also tried the powerflex ones on my competition car, and they disintegrated after three events. So I will never go back to those bushings.

I replaced them this weekend with MZ4 bushings, which are made of solid rubber and are offset for about a half degree more positive caster. They tightened up the front end, improved steering feel and eliminated all my steering wheel shake. Best part, they are cheap!
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
howie3

My Ride: 2001 325i
I just replaced my cab with Meyle HD. Feels good around town now but at higher speeds on highway(60mph) I get vibration in steering. Any suggestions. Do I need an alignment after changing them.
howie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Do I need an alignment after changing them
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
howie3

I'm not sure what you mean by your reply
Old 09-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
mr ilia

My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
You should not need alignment after replacing FCAB.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
hanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie3 View Post
I just replaced my cab with Meyle HD. Feels good around town now but at higher speeds on highway(60mph) I get vibration in steering. Any suggestions. Do I need an alignment after changing them.
Same thing here.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
hanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Stiff bushings can make road imperfections more apparent, and it's plausible that those can cause vibrations (that are always there, but only noticeable at certain speeds).

Thank you!

I read that you fixed that vibration by switching to Lemforder fcabs. Do you still think this is the cause?

Last edited by hanna; 09-24-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #19
howie3

I talked to my mechanic and he said it's very likely a tire balance issue. the old FCAB that had play, were absorbing the vibration before. I will try that first
Old 09-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #20
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Thank you!

I read that you fixed that vibration by switching to Lemforder fcabs. Do you still think this is the cause?

don't get "vibration" mixed up with road feel. if you are getting an unnatural shimmy, it's not your control arm bushings. if your front end is immaculate, even having solid spherical CABs won't cause a shimmy. Things vibrate at the speeds you describe (or any speed for that matter) when something is broken or out of balance.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote